main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Agent of the Empire #6: Hard Targets, part 1 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Tinwe

Tinwe Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    It wasn't, actually. Not entirely anyway. But I won't ramble on about it here, since it would probably bore all other (save for the two other abovementioned) people to death... :)
    The answer to the question is, of course, that Breha didn't yet exist when Barbara Hambly wrote Children of the Jedi and came up with Leia's three dowager aunts... ;)

Seriously though, Lucas said himself in The Annotated Screenplays that he wanted one of the Skywalker twins to remember their real mother, and it's been stated elsewhere that Leia is indeed referring to Padmé in ROTJ. (I know this has been debated ad nauseam before so I won't delve in any deeper.) But since that statement predates the prequels, I suppose it could mean Leia is now actually talking about Breha instead. And The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia does indeed refer to "the passing of Queen Breha" in its Royal House of Alderaan entry... :( But here's hoping we'll see more of her one day!

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'd like to read this series but I can't help think how much better it would be starring Janek Sunber.

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Sunber isn’t as sophisticated as Cross, so properly couldn’t pull it off. Though I really would not mind something like another Sunber comic.

4. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    I think the later date is incorrect because it makes Pello Scrambas implausibly young in ANH. The guy is supposed to have been fifteen when it happened. If it was only 28 years prior to ANH, that means he's only 43 years old. A white-haired wrinkled 43 year old.

5. Tinwe

Oct 20, 2012
    Ahh, QuentinGeorge, one of the two other people who care. ;) I had completely forgotten about Pello Scrambas, shame on me. Well, a white-haired wrinkled 48 year old isn't that much better, but at least it would be a bit more plausible. Supposed he just had a rough life? Or genes that caused him to age prematurely?

6. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Count me in for one who cares about that date and all things Alderaan!

And I hope Pello stays Pello... not like the 1001 Cpt of the Tantive IV ranging from Colton to Raymus to a kid named after both and so on.

As for the 2 different dates, maybe it took from the earlier date to the later date till the entire thing was settled finally on Alderaan? So.. kinda the Alderaan Ascendancy Contention started but there were lots of talks and back and forth until Jorus settled it after several meetings over the years!

PS: In this comic Winter looks very much like her mother, Sheltay.. did anybody else notice that? hairstyle and dress and all that ;)

7. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    The dress was kind of hard to ignore. [face_batting]

8. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    that so sounds like what a Hutt would say :p I still wait for Slavegirl Winter in an undercover mission to Hutt space by the way [face_blush] we need more Winter stories! I am glad she is in Scoundrels.

9. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Need to keep up the image. [​IMG]

Their is fanart out their [face_whistling]

Follow up series to Agent of the Empire? :p -> Agent of the Rebellion.

10. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

Fanart: As if I'd not already know that O:)

"Agent of the Rebellion" starring Winter, a female Agent... [face_hypnotized]=P~

TAKE MY MONEY, TAKE IT!

11. Tinwe

Oct 20, 2012
    That's a possible explanation for sure, though Dark Force Rising says it took the Republic team less than a month to decide that the Organas had the proper claim to the Viceroyship (which was what the contention was all about). But it wouldn't be the first time things get retconned... Though personally I think that the shorter the time span, the better. Since the Viceroy was a planetary leader, not having one for an extended period of time wouldn't be in the Republic's best interest either.
    The ROTS promotional image of Sheltay Retrac immediately sprung to mind. :)

12. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

well the crux is it took the "republican team" less than a month... not the Alderaanian talks before that :p and they must have an interim ruler or at least government running without a head of state is no problem. happened in real world too in some european countries in last few years. still I prefer a shorter timespan myself

13. Tinwe

Oct 20, 2012
    I know. *cough*Belgium*cough* It's just that to me the Alderaanians don't seem like the people who would dwell on things like this for years. Besides, Darth Plagueis says (in a section taking place in 32 BBY) that C'baoth "had been enlisted to arbitrate a dispute among some of Alderaan's royal houses", so the situation existed as early as 32 BBY, and it doesn't seem plausible that the Republic people would just twiddle their thumbs for four year until deciding to swiftly settle the issue... :p

Granted, the passage doesn't mention the ascendancy contention directly, but to me it does sound like that was what Luceno meant with it. Unless we are to believe that there were not one but two different disputes among Alderaanian nobles that C'baoth helped to settle.

14. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    two different events? hmm now that would be nice too.. one establishes respect for C'baoth and starts his ties to Alderaan the second one is the contention! still it would pull another great reference out of Plagueis which I do not like.

but why not have the first be THE contention and the second one another follow up dispute where one house challenges Organas and is simply overruled again by C'baoth?

15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I want more Sunber too, but that doesn't mean I want him to just be stapled onto concepts that don't really match his character. :p

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  16. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    why did I read that and think LOTF & FOTJ :p

Tinwe likes this.
  17. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    When I grabbed this issue yesterday and saw Winter, I instantly knew that you would love the issue. :p

Now if only we could see a young Tycho...

--Adm. Nick

18. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    young Tycho with family and love... oh the tragedy! I'd prefer young Aryn Dro Thul

19. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    maybe it took from the earlier date to the later date till the entire thing was settled finally on Alderaan?

Pello was fifteen when the contention ended.

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You mean Secret Agent Tank the Tatooine Farmboy doesn't appeal to you?

I suppose they could move it forward in time so they lose Armand and all the pre-Rebellion cameos so we could get Secret Agent Lowly Army Lieutenant, but I'm really sold on the 007 Farmboy concept.

21. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I just love the idea that poor Janek Sunber is the Anti-Luke in so many respects. He joins the Imperial Academy, gets tapped by Darth Vader due to circumstance, and probably goes on to become a super-agent who fights the good fight for the Empire over and over again.

22. Tinwe

Oct 20, 2012
    I actually quite like your second suggestion. This would also be the perfect way to bring Bail Organa's poor ol' daddy back into canon, since he has been sorely neglected after the release of Dark Force Rising. (Which, for those who don't know, mentions that it was actually Bail's father and not Bail himself who became the Viceroy of Alderaan after the ascendancy contention. I suppose that if the later mentions of Bail being involved in the contention are intentional and not due to editing mistake made when reproducing DFR's original wording, the change has something to do with C'baoth's screwy timeline.) Have Bail's father become the Viceroy (and make the marriage that united the Houses of Antilles and Organa officially Bail & Breha's already), kill him off four years later, make some Alderaanian nobles challenge the Organa rule again and have C'baoth to tell them to shut up. All problems solved. :D

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  23. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

Bail's dad... oh yeah. I too forgot about him and hope to use him if that retcon ever comes to pass!

24. Tinwe

Oct 20, 2012
    It would make so much more sense if Bail became the Viceroy in 28 BBY instead of 32 BBY, since it would also explain why the heck he was both the Senator and the planetary leader of Alderaan. (Who does that, giving both hats to the same guy? Alderaanians, apparently, but their political system is a mess anyway. Breha was both Queen and Minister of Education, so they must really be devout multitaskers there...) If he was Senator first and became Viceroy only later, but still chose to continue representing his planet in the Senate, it would make the whole thing seem a bit more plausible. But just a bit. Why bother to have a Viceroy at all – or rather, this particular Viceroy – if he's always busy with his senatorial duties and therefore probably needs a regent?

(Sorry, I know this is going way off-topic, maybe we should start a thread for the Alderaan Ascendancy Contention and the funked-up Alderaanian political system in general? Would anyone be interested?)

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  25. Jedi Ghurubai

Jedi Ghurubai Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2012
    Are there any IRL farmboys who made it big as spies?

I tought they primarily recruit people with academic backgrounds and a lot of soft skills.