main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Official Star Wars Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Fat_Rancor_Keeper, Apr 17, 2010.

1. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Just finished watching Phantom Menace now. For the most part, I was impressed with the video quality. True there is some DNR applied, 1 or 2 scenes feature a shocking lack of detail (a good example is when the Jedi first arrive on the Trade Federation ship. The door is a blurry mess). But for the most part, I was wowed by the clarity of many of the scenes, which is a great improvement over the edge enhanced mess of the DVD. It's the best it's ever looked on home video. And the audio is absolutely perfect. Great dynamic range and love the hum of the lightsabers.

I also love the new CG Yoda. The puppet always bothered me since he looked so different from his other appearances. But what's really great is that he emotes so much better and at times resembles the ESB version. My favorite shot is when he exchanges glances with Mace after Qui-Gon informs them about Anakin. I loved that Yoda's gaze perfectly mimics Sam Jackson's.

2. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I still need to pick this edition up!!

3. Fat_Rancor_Keeper

Fat_Rancor_Keeper Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 17, 2010
    WELL HURRY UP!

We'll all be here waiting. ;)

4. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    I absolutely love what Lucas decided to do with the front cover art to the box.

What people misunderstand about this particular set is that the whole thing is art themed. The cover looks like a watercolor painting that an artist painted because thats what Star Wars is. Its visual art that an artist spent his life painting.

And now what is it a picture of?

One boy (in a darker color) walking towards one direction and another boy (in a lighter color) who will walk in another direction. Each coming from the same home making the choice to step up into their journey. The twin suns up in the sky representing destiny and duality throughout all things in nature and science.

Its a timeless picture of the father of one generation heading in a direction and a son of a new generation that will fight to right the wrongs of the last generation and bring balance.

@};-=D=@};-

When it comes to extras and content I also love the way the bonus features are laid out because it is totally consistent with the art theme of the set. You get to go planet by planet to see the many various techniques that artists from all over the world used to create whole cultures. You see the BLEND of props, models, matte paintings and sets layered on in each part of every film in the Saga to create these classic images that the whole world recognizes.

This box set is the quintessential packaged collection of The Star Wars Saga that has ever been officially released up until this point in time. And it is beautiful.

@};-

ezekiel22x and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I was leaning towards not buying the Blu-Ray set until I saw the box art. Now it might very well be the last Star Wars thing I ever buy because I think it's just a perfect summation--the films themselves, the greater franchise, as well as the simple aesthetics of the package--of the series and my time spent being interested in it.

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Don't confine yourself. 8K video will be a thing sooner rather than later; when that gets into the general realm we'll actually be able to view the films in the glorious 70mm definition they were supposed to be shown in. 8K is equivalent to 70mm IMAX. ;)

7. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I still need to get a surround sound system, so I can hear the great audio, everyone talks about.

8. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I hear ya man...I would have love multiple covers, SW has many charters worthy of the cover other than the skywalker boys

9. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    So the Blu Ray will be replaced?

10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Eventually, yeah.

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I think 4K will be the next format resolution. Unfortunately for Episodes II and III we will only get uncompressed 1080p. It was Lucas sacrifice for the evolution of the industry.

12. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    ...I hadn't considered that. Well, 4 and 8k are a long ways off; I imagine they'll figure some way to make them compatible.

13. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    4K 8K.....Blu Ray? What will a 4K 8K player be like?

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    4K and 8K are video resolutions, not formats. Blu-ray is 1K. 4K is four times Blu-ray resolution.

DarthBoba likes this.
  15. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    8k is roughly equivalent to a 70mm IMAX print in terms of resolution. So yes awesome :p

16. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    Well until the day where some people feel they need to have 70mm IMAX quality screens in their house I think the blu-ray will be just fine.

17. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Did people "feel the need" for 1080p? Or DVD? or hell, VHS? People will always buy something presented as newer/better. Which 4k and 8k will be.

18. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Thanks...tht good to know.

19. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Is it true Return of the Jedi is the worst looking & worst sounding episode of the Blu Ray disc? All the reviews say ROTJ does not look as good as the other 5.

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Worst looking? I'd say yes. It needs a new transfer (well, all six movies will need a new one for the next format). Many shots are too soft and lack some detail. Particularly on Endor.

As for sound, all six movies are reference quality on the audio departement. No worries there.

21. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    Every film in the saga was shot very soft on purpose. Basically the films are supposed to look soft. They will never look "sharp" on any format. They might get smoothed out or less blurry or larger size wise in the next future formats but they will always look soft stile wise.

22. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    The scene leading up to Endor on the Imperial cruiser and the first scene on Endor look REALLY bad, not just soft or undefined. There's a grid-like pattern that blurs everything on screen, which is especially noticeable in HD. Seriously crummy.

Alexrd likes this.
  23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm sorry, but that's not true. There are many sharp shots throughout the movies. No matter how soft they may be in comparison to other movies, RotJ suffers from blurriness a lot.

Bacon164 likes this.
  24. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Ok thanks. Does anyone here have the 6.1 surround sound system? How does this enhance the movie? I'm thinking of getting a system for the SW dvds I have.

25. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I've not heard the set in surround, but 2 speakers or a good pair of headphones should be enough to showcase the quality of the audio. Just my opinion though.