main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How did Palpatine find out about anakin's relationship with Padme?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Lord Tyrannus, Oct 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    That's what ultimately led anakin to becoming darth vader, the emperor tempting him with padme and the power to save her. But how did he find out about their marriage? Did anyone tell him, or did he find out with telepathy?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the RoTS novel:

"Anakin, Padme was my Queen; I was her ambassador to the Senate. Naboo is my home. You of all people know how I value loyalty and friendship; do you think I have no friends among the civil clergy in Theed? Your secret ceremony has never been secret. Not from me, at any rate. I have always been very happy for you both.'

cwustudent likes this.
  3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    What ^ said.

4. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    I would've preferred if PalpSidious had read Anakin's thoughts to find out about his relationship with Padme. That should be a better explanation for PalpSidious' sudden knowledge.

5. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Why better? (In other words, explain your reasoning, if you would.)

6. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    If Palpatine found out because of the Naboo clergy, that would make it their fault that anakin turned to the darkside. Which is rather random, but interesting at the same time, if they contributed.

7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Palpatine taking advantage of the information he obtained from the Naboo clergy is some how the fault of the Naboo clergy?

8. PMT99

Nov 23, 2000
    PalpSidious somehow knew that Anakin is having visions of Padme dying, even though Anakin never told him about it. If reading Anakin's thoughts can explain how PalpSidious knew about the visions, then it would also explain how he knew that Anakin and Padme are married.

9. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    So, you're seeing a parallelism, and that parallel is "better"?

Scratches head: I've forgotten exactly how that exchange goes - if Palps knows or just skillfully draws that out of Anakin.

10. CircaCitadel

CircaCitadel Jedi Padawan

Oct 10, 2012
    Maybe Palpatine was projecting those dreams to Anakin to make him more tempted to find any way to save Padme and his mother.

So how did the Naboo clergy find out if it was a secret ceremony?

11. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    The clergyman CONDUCTED the ceremony, that's how. (From what I understand from the EU, the clergyman "spilled" but I'm not sure to who or the circumstances.)

12. PMT99

Nov 23, 2000
    Ummm...Shmi is already dead at this point so now Anakin becomes more desperate to save Padme. Plus, I'm not sure if any force practitioner (Jedi or Sith) is capable of creating images in another person's head.

13. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Panaka found out about the marriage and told Palpatine.

14. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Who's Panaka? Also, I didn't say it was the Naboo clergyman's fault that Palpatine found out about Padme and lured anakin to the darkside because of it. I didn't mean it that way. It wasn't their fault. They had no desire or knowledge of Palpatine's evil plans. However, from the cause-and effect point of view/perspective, their actions did lead to that, whether they intended it or not.

15. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I read somewhere that captain typho told Palpatine. That would make it his fault, then.

16. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I take back what I said about Typho. I don't remember where I got that info from, but it isn't accurate.

17. CircaCitadel

CircaCitadel Jedi Padawan

Oct 10, 2012
    I was just saying over the course of the movies. I wouldn't be surprised if it was possible. Just because it's not stated in the movies or books (although I'm fairly certain I read it in one, but can't remember which book) doesn't mean it's not possible. I bet if an author wrote about it and gave it to Lucas, he would approve it. It seems like something a Sith would do.

18. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Was it Panaka or the Naboo clergyman who told it to Palpatine about anakin and padme's marriage? I'm narrowed down to those two.

19. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The RotS novelization claims it was the Naboo clergy.

20. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    There's kind of a contradiction here. Was it Panaka or the naboo clergy? Is wookipedia wrong?

21. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    What's the quote from the ROTS novelization? If it's the one that Iron_lord posted earlier, it doesn't confirm that it was Maxiron Agolerga.

Here is a bit of info from Wookieepedia: 'Before he departed Varykino, Skywalker instructed the Pontifex not to tell anyone of their union, and so the only record Agolerga maintained of their matrimony was kept on a scroll in the Brotherhood's archives. Agolerga later recorded the event once again, this time in a databook. When it was learned that the people he had wed were Senator Padmé Amidala and Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker, he passed the information onto Amidala's niece, Pooja Naberrie. The information, however, had not been kept as much of a secret as Agolerga thought, as both a member of the civil clergy and Captain Panaka of the Royal; Naboo Security Forces had discovered it, and seen fit to inform Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, who used the information to bend Skywalker to his will in 19 BBY.'

22. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    So the Naboo civil clergy through Panaka, big deal.

23. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    How did Panaka find out about it?

24. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Not every question has a (canon) answer, Lord Tyrannus. Do you want speculation, or pure "fact"?

25. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Speculation

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.