main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC UTI or Kidney stones

Discussion in 'Community' started by LifeInTechnicolor, Oct 21, 2012.

1. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    It is 10:35 PM in Wisconsin and I am currently at a hospital with my mother because she started urinating blood clots.(She already got her period so it isn't that).I've read online that it could be anything from UTIs to kidney stones to cancer.I am currently freaking out because I have 2 college classes tomorrow and no homework done and I'm scared for my mother.Ironically,my dad had severe kidney stones a couple weeks ago and had to have surgery.

2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yikes, i hope she's ok. i'm sure your professors will understand if you talk to them or email them.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If your courses are medical in nature, ask if you can get credit for this experience.

4. LifeInTechnicolor

Sep 3, 2012
    The classes are Tourism(the stupidest class on earth and the teacher hates me) and Business Communications.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    well, then they certainly won't grant you credits for going through this... unless your tourism professor is impressed by whichever hospital you are in.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    My mom had a similar such scare over the summer and it turned out to be a hernia, which thankfully didn't require surgery. Prayers and thoughts that yours turns out similarly.

If you explain that your mother went into the hospital, your teachers might be a bit understanding about the situation.

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This is a big problem with trying to do research on the internet. A lot of symptoms of illness are very non-specific. For instance, being short of breath could suggest anything from heavy exercise to a massive heart attack. That's why it takes so many years of training before someone can become a doctor. I would tell you to try and stay calm, because rare things are, statistically speaking, rare. And common things are common. But there's really no way we can give you a good answer. You just have to let real experts work out what's wrong.

Maybe if Vaderize or someone was around. And I think OZK is in medical school, though I'm not sure how far long he is to be able to help. Those are your best bets, though.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah, what Juliet said is exactly what I was getting at...

9. LifeInTechnicolor

Sep 3, 2012
    The only impressive thing about the city that the hospital is in us the trivia contest so my professor would not be impressed.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Asking OZK for medical advice should bear traumatic results. If you believe your mother would benefit from having her circumcision reversed, it may be worth the effort of asking him.

11. LifeInTechnicolor

Sep 3, 2012
    If it does come to the point where I'll be here all night I'll email or call them telling them my situation.I get nervous easily and this type of stuff freaks me out.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Inhale. Exhale. Repeat. This, too, shall pass.

13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't think there's any harm in e-mailing to let them know now. They'll appreciate the heads up. If things turn around and you're able to come in tomorrow, they'll appreciate the effort. If not, you will have told them well in advance, so it won't look like a last minute excuse. Hang in there.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Wocky is correct. If the message is in their inbox first thing in the morning, even if you show up to class, at least it came dated from the night before and not, as he said, seeming so 'last minute'. Be encouraged about your mother. She is in the right place to get proper help. And, there is a distinct possibility that this could turn out to be far less than assumed.

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    The best advice is what Wocky said, let the doctors diagnose what's wrong with your mom. I would also offer this additional bit of advice, be your mom's advocate. If she has/had any other symptoms that your mother either forgot about or didn't feel was significant (my mom ignored most of her symptoms this summer, until she finally had to go to an urgent care center and get an IV to rehydrate her after she was unable to eat or drink for days), mentioning it to the doctors. If you feel the doctors aren't giving your mom the best care they can, then speak up about it too. The best way to be there for your mom is to make sure she's getting the best treatment/is diagnosed properly.

16. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Um yeah, like I, an M1, am going to give medical advice on the internet to a stranger about their mother.

But yeah, in the spirit of MyKe1138's advice, there's no need to chop off any part of her genitals to fix this or prevent it from happening again in the future.

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    My grandmother just had UTI. She was briefly delirious, but we got her medical attention very quickly and now she's fine and recovering in a health facility. A bit of a scare, considering her age, but she got over it quickly enough.

But yeah, follow Wocky and Juliet's advice. Reading stuff online may give you an idea of what to expect, but by no means take it all as fact. And no matter their personal feelings toward you, teachers will respect your situation. I'm sure your mother will be fine. If my nonagenarian grandmother can get through this, so can she. [face_peace]

18. LifeInTechnicolor

Sep 3, 2012
    My mom has a severe bladder infection so I am back home and getting ready to go to bed and get up at six to go to school.It was so bad that they couldn't even count the white blood cells because they were packed together.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Ouch. Hope she'll feel better soon. At least you know what it is. That's always the hardest part of somebody you care about being sick, the not knowing. At least now that you know what it is, the doctors will be able to treat it and get your mom back on her feet soon enough.

LifeInTechnicolor likes this.
  20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    What Juliet said. I hope her treatment makes her feel better real soon.

LifeInTechnicolor likes this.
  21. LifeInTechnicolor

Sep 3, 2012
    Me too.I am picking up her prescription today.Its pretty powerful.Rhanks so much!