main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Why didn't Lucas continue to make SW movies?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Slowpokeking, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    LA are not short of money. We got tons of great epic tales in EU, so as long as they follow it and make some nice small changes we don't have to worry about the plot. Sure some people might argue about Hayden but overall GL was very good at picking actors, he could also get a good director. It's a very good way to keep the influence.

2. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Because Lucas is done.
    Lucas has indicated that he is not very invested in the stuff that has been created in the EU that is not shown on a screen. However, a ton of stuff that happens after the movies has been created. He can't just delete all that. So he can stay away. George Lucas also cares about stuff that isn't Star Wars.

3. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Well when he started at episode 4, I'm pretty sure he only ever planned to make a saga.

4. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    That sounds right.

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Because there is no Story after ROTJ so he didn't want to make any more because of it

6. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    But there are tons of great tales before the movie era, such as the Great Sith War, KOTOR 1&2, TOR period and blank periods.

7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The thing is, the story of Star Wars according to George Lucas seems to span from c. 2,000 BBY to 4 ABY, so virtually all of those settings mean nothing to Lucas.

DarthBoba likes this.
  8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Another trilogy would mean the next decade of his professional life is booked up. Understandable why Lucas wouldn't want to make that kind of commitment.

BDOT likes this.
  9. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    3 reasons

1. time consuming, making a movie, any movie, takes years if you are the main filmaker of the series "writer, director Exec"

2. making more of the same would quickly become boring, imagine planting the same bulb everyday for years

3. it's his story, his universe, he can do what he wants and tell any story he wants with in that universe

10. Rotticus

Rotticus Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 21, 2012
    I remember reading somewhere that lucas said he wouldnt make anymore because of the hate he has gotten from fans for the prequel trilogy. very unfortunate....he could at least pass the torch to someone else KOTOR could easily be made into a trilogy

11. AdmiralSteven

AdmiralSteven Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    I could be wrong on this (things I heard as a kid), but I had always heard that idea was for 9 movies to be done. Now, whether that's true or not I can't say, but that's what I heard. As for making more movies, I would love to see one of the Thrawn stories done, but that's just me.

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Well there was to be a Sequel Trilogy, way before the Prequel Trilogy was even thought of, but Lucas changed his mind and only wanted to make 6 instead of 9

13. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    A sequel trilogy would be just plain awesome, but Mark hamill, harrison ford, carrie fisher, are just way too old now. Also, a lack of direction for the story is a problem. The star wars saga, with 6 films now, is about the rise and fall of a bad guy/empire, or the rise and fall of a tragic hero, the fall and rise of a republic, however you view it. Adding a sequel trilogy just wouldn't go along with that.

Although seeing Mark hamill communicating with hayden christensen as anakin skywalker/Vader's force ghost would be plain awesome.

14. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Carrie fisher is old now.[face_rofl]

I think they should have made a sequel trilogy, but not now. Maybe in the mid-late 1980s and the 1990s, where they could have easily continued on to making the prequels that we have now too.

I would love to see Luke, Leia, Han, living in the new republic, with a new jedi order, luke as a jedi Master, leia and han solo married and having 2 jedi twins, all that cool stuff. Too bad it wasn't made into a movie trilogy.

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    We should wait till the 80's and 90's? woa, traveling back in time :p

16. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I never talked about time travel. But it would be cool if we could go back in time, with a younger version of the original cast and make a sequel trilogy.

Here's a good question. What would/should the sequel trilogy be about, if you could've made it, or would write it for a fanfic?

17. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Yeah I heard something to that extent too. KOTOR would make a great trilogy, but I think that would appeal to only the hardcore SW fans. These new films are meant to appeal to the mainstream audiences. If they made a KOTOR movie trilogy the mainstream audience would be lost because they would be watching a SW film but no identifiable characters to associate with. In the OT, PT and the new ST there is characters the main stream can relate with. Being Han, Luke, Leia, Yoda Obi Wan, Chewie, etc. I like the idea of KOTOR myself.

18. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Way to raise an old thread from the grave. There's nothing really to discuss here as there will be an ST that George is involved in and wrote lol

19. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Ah, just thought I put my 2 cents in anyway lol

20. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Sometimes people just run out of that creative spirit or that drive. Even when people have ideas, if they don't have that drive or that courage then they'll sit on their ideas even if they are good ideas. If you want to know Lucas's motives, you'd have to ask the man himself.

21. bedada3

bedada3 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 2002
    First, because the protagonist of SW is Anakin Skywalker. We saw the beginning of Anakin, we saw the end of Anakin. That's the story.
    Second, because no one could stand to work with George Lucas more than they absolutely have to. The original cast is coming back because Disney is making this one.

22. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Because he's rich, wants to enjoy life, and do whatever he wants.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Because he's too old...too old for the filmmaking.

24. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    The ending of ROTJ is good, George lucas don't have to continue with more episodes it's just going to ruin the starwars films.
    Also episode 1-6 is about anakin turn to the dark side then turning back to the light I dont know what episode 7 is going to be about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.