main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Italian seismologists sentenced to six years for failing to predict an earthquake

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    That's right, the trial that we've been hearing about has ended, and they've been found guilty of manslaughter. Sentence: 6 years.

In the closing statement, the prosecution quoted one of its witnesses, whose father died in the earthquake.
    It described how Guido Fioravanti had called his mother at about 11pm on the night of the earthquake - straight after the first tremor.
    "I remember the fear in her voice. On other occasions they would have fled but that night, with my father, they told themselves what the risk commission had said. And they stayed."

What on Earth does this have to do with the case? Such a blatant appeal to emotion.

Seismology is not always accurate and to prosecute (also persecute) scientists in Italy because their data didn't accurately show the future is ridiculous. Also impractical, as I predict an exodus of seismologists from Italy, therefore making the earthquake science there not progress.

2. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    This is stupid.

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Disgusting. I hope there's some sort of international backlash against the Italian justice system for this.

4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Aren't there more than six seismologists in all of Italy who could've come up with earthquake predictions? Why would these six be particularly responsible?

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  5. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    They should have sentenced God to six years - he caused the earthquake to begin with.

Duh.

6. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I may be splitting hairs here, but as I understand it the problem was not that they failed to predict the quake, but that when people began to suspect a quake was going to occur the scientists gave reassurances that a quake would not happen. So people who would have left their homes for safety decided to trust the officials and stay put. But I may be misunderstanding the news report.

Not that I think the sentence is fair in any way, just that the title of the thread is a little misleading.

7. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Michael Fish has gone into hiding.

8. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    So this is more evidence that the Italian legal system sucks?

9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah, but how do you arrest God, and how do you keep him in prison? :p

10. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    God is omnipresent. He's already in prison!

11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    It's not that you misunderstand the news report, you misunderstand how seismology is done. Seismologists predict when the next earthquake will happen at a particular fault. This is a very inexact science. What these seismologists did was interpret from their data that the likelihood of a large earthquake happening in time x was negligible. Layman interpret this as 'downplaying,' however from a scientist's point of view it's simply following the data. In this case, the data led to a conclusion that there wasn't going to be a large earthquake soon. However, there was one. They're being punished for that, so I stand by my title.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    As Kate suggested, there are a lot of reasons for the Italian justice system to face backlash. This is just a drop in the bucket in comparison. :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Ridiculous. We used to have a joke at Caltech that the only way to predict an earthquake in California was to see when the entire seismology staff was on the East Coast for a conference.

Lord Vivec and Lowbacca_1977 like this.
  14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    WTF? That's completely outrageous.

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Isn't this better suited for the "Questions for Arlol" thread?

16. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    In other news, an Italian doctor has been sent to jail for manslaughter after telling a man with cancer that he had 6 months to live, even though that man was killed in a car accident less than 2 weeks later.

17. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    This crap is ridiculous..

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm half afraid that this is what's coming if Romneybot is elected President and the GOP fully takes back Congress.

19. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Given the statistics of criminals who have "found God" in prison, I'd say you're spot on.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  20. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    [​IMG]

Simply put....Romney is far more centrist than he pretends. You would have been more likely to see such action under the Bush admin.

21. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I don't see how this is a Romney thing. At all. I mean, there hasn't been a response to help the scientists from the president of Italy, and he's from a left-wing political party.

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Your right, Romney himself might not take such an action.

A Tea Party lead Congress on the other hand....[face_worried]

23. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Nah, more like Steve Harper's Canada.

24. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    [​IMG]

Let's go burn down the observatory so this will never happen again!

25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It will go to appeal, like every other Italian case... ever.