main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.4 - The Soft War - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Oct 17, 2012.

1. tal0nkarrde

tal0nkarrde Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    As a whole, I enjoyed the episode. I liked seeing Ahsoka on her own, acting as an advisor to the rebels. Funny how that works - rebels to some, patriots to the fighters themselves, terrorists to those the rebels fight against. As always in Star Wars, the smaller group somehow finds a way to win the day - the underdog always seems to win in Star Wars. It will be interesting to see where the next episode takes us. Will the old king push for dethroning the new king and, if he does, will he attempt to have him executed to return the favor?

The side love story between the leaders of the rebellion is somewhat weird, don't you think. And I quote, "Stop looking at me like that." Like what. To me, Lux looked like an awkward wounded puppy instead of someone in love. Think towards the looks between Anakin and Padme - now that is romance.

DM99 and Billy_Dee_Binks like this.
  2. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Okay, just saw it today.

Some thoughts:

- Wow! Unlike the last two episodes from this arc, I really enjoyed this episode!

- The majority of the dialogue was very well handled. It felt very natural, both in writing and delivery.

- Kevin Kiner delivered a great score throughout the episode. This was possibly the first time I've enjoyed so much of a single TCW episode's score. I've been very critical of him in the past, but it is now clear to me what he is capable of.

- I really liked the thick atmosphere between the two commanders at the King's side.

- The former King turned out to be a very interesting character.

- What is it with bad guys, Kings in this case, always eating fruit?

- "Time to die." I take it was a Blade Runner reference? Is so, awesome.

- The tenseness of the public execution was great. Neat SW guillotine.

- A one way shield- yeah... the scene would have been more logical without that explanation. It was simply a trap.

- "We've identified Steela....." She addressed herself during the holographic transmission, General.

- The crowds had some very awkward cheering animation cycles.

If only the first two episodes were this enjoyable. I'm now looking forward to the conclusion of this arc.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh yeah, that was quite a facepalm line. [face_plain]

4. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Just some minor tweeks to the dialogue would have made it much better. I don't think it's necessarily awkard to ask about the person after they identified themselves. I mean if I was some kind of anti-government insurgent and I broadcasted a message trying to stir up others to join me and identified myself by name in the message, my name isn't going to me a thing to Obama, it's not like if Mel Gibson were leading the insurgency. He might ask others what they can dig up on me, where I'm from, what my occupation is, what my aim is, etc. So they could have changed Rash's dialogue to reflect that kind of sentiment rather than an exchange of who she is and the response being the obvious "well he name is Steela and she's leading the insurgents"... all of which can be gathered straight from the message itself.

5. Ferus Olin

Ferus Olin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2012
    I prefer other 4 part arcs to like the Umbara arc or the Obi-Wan undercover arc. However judging by the trailers already online I say Tipping Points will be the most action packed episode or the arc. And HONDO APPEARS!!

6. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    steela seems to be full of herself, after the taken leadership and that victory against Ahsoka.

7. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    Lux IS an awkward wounded puppy.

8. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    If only they were. They were too boring!
    If the first two were merged together then it would have been better cause a lot of the stupid and pointless scene were going to be cut to make way for a fast-paced episode.
    But if only...

I love the entire final chaos at the steps...

He is a villain who is healthy. IMO

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Maybe they can still save this plot: King Rash is some super go-green, pro-organic, back-to-nature vegan hippy who's ordered a decaration throughout the land that none of the people can eat "filthy" meat, which of course has put a HUGE strain on both the global economy (which relies on animal products) and has made everyone anemic and unable to fight back alongside the rebels.

Dooku's "let's put a vegan in charge!" plan was quite the success. Even the Jedi wouldn't actively endorse killing a vegan and battling his organic empire.

10. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I think the whole eating fruit thing is meant to make the character appear arrogant. Something about eating while on the job. I know in Star Trek (2009) the had Captain Kirk eating an apple while taking the Kobayashi Maru test, and on the commentary they state that they just felt it made the character look smug that he's in the middle of a test, sitting in the Captain's chair, chomping away on an apple while giving orders.

DM99 and Billy_Dee_Binks like this.
  11. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe in TCW universe Fat People and Vegans are supposed to be evil...

12. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Forgot to mention I lol'd at Ahsoka being concerned about blowing her cover when the previous episode she was running around at night deflecting blaster bolts with her sabers.

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Gigantic hologram: "Attention people of Onderon, I am the Stay-Puft Marshmallow M-... I mean I am Steela, leader of the rebels."

DM99 and Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan like this.
  14. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I think the guy just has something against fruit. He's executed the fruit twice after a couple bites to make a point. There is terrible starving people on Ryloth joke (SW equiv to Starvin' Marvin?) in there somewhere.

15. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    She was hidden in the shadows and electrical-failure-induced-darkness and there were no witnesses to tell the tale of her.

16. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Waving big glow sticks around in near total darkness isn't exactly subtle.

DM99 and Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan like this.
  17. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    Nice one with the South Park joke there.

Seerow likes this.
  18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Trey Parker seems to be a big SW fan. Maybe he'll read this stuff someday and hook us up.

19. DavidIX

DavidIX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    If my memory serves me right, wasn't Onderon a CIS system to begin with, wasn't Mina Bontery and Lux part of the confederacy alliance.

If the previous does not apply, then there is a problem with continuity.I also find it highly contradicting of the king to claim both sides as corrupt, only to get all giddy after the news of the rebels having Jedi backing- " I've been waiting a long time for this". Ok so you like the Jedi but not the Republic, even though the Jedi are Generals for the republic, In the galactic War. You know the one you couldnt make a decision on. No no, it makes perfect sense. Put your people in further danger by choking. I also find it funny that the old King decided to grow a pair after he heard the Jedi were involved. Oh really the jedi have my back? " Assemble the troops, for freedom, for Onderon!!"- Put me down as not impressed.

I could be very well confused on the matter. What say you?

20. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    That is my issue with arc too. They do not explain how Mina Bonteri or the CIS congress fit into this. They are treating Onderon like what in Season Four was Mon Calamari - a system forced to join the CIS under a new ruler. But it is more like Geonosis - a loyal CIS world that even a representative in the CIS congress.

They still have not explained this whole mess at all. And Dendup's explanation to Saw in the "prison" did not help either.

Was Mina Bonteri serving King Rash?! Was Bonteri always aware of Rash but before the events of S3, he was just to ignorant or something?!

21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Maybe... maybe Rash is Lux's father.

o_0
    0_o
    o_0

22. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    NO WAY! WHAT A TWIST!!!

23. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    Mina Bonteri might have been more than just a senator!

24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Was she really just a janitor that got promoted to senator when all this went down?

Really the only thing I can surmise is that Mina Bonteri was appointed as senator and initially didn't like the C.I.S. any more than the king and warmed up to the C.I.S. or ironically atleast Dooku when she was serving since she spoke highly of them. She was motivated to reach a treaty with the republic. Dendup must never have been aware of all that. Its still very hard to reconcile and I've thought about it since the 2nd part of the arc aired. I posted all sorts of feelings about in in the tail end of the "A War on Two Fronts" thread.

DM99 likes this.
  25. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    It doesn't make sense. In season 3, the "Onderon" that we saw is a lot different than the one we see now... In S3 the planet they went to had a city metropolis. Or is this just a little part of the planet? or a different planet altogether?