main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Is there any real reason why the OT will never get an unaltered release?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by IG-85, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Is this really what you consider "good enough"?

[image=http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/5003/laserdiscupscale.jpg]

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    like i edited above ^

3. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    As a staunch proponent of remastering the original versions, I am glad we have the 2006 OOT DVDs. At least we have that much. The picture is comparable to VHS quality, but the digital process actually worsens the image in thousands of frames. The pixellation, esp. in the sands of Tatooine and the snows of Hoth, is ugly and distracting; many frames are overexposed (so that the glow off of 3PO, for example, washes out the image around him), and the picture overall on all three DVDs is fuzzy, unfocused, and decidedly non-crisp. I'll let someone who knows sound better than I do offer their critique of the soundtrack problems.

In short, the 2006 OOT DVDs are grossly subpar in quality.

4. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
  5. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Yes. Please explain the relevance and your point.

Alexrd likes this.
  6. negative1

negative1 Jedi Knight

Oct 17, 2012
    we will probably never get a real official
    reason why.

but do we need one at this point in time?

after several releases of different versions,
    the matter to take things into the fans hands
    is one options.

there are several projects that might remedy
    this situation, you never know.

later

7. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    The altered releases are better. I like seeing naboo, coruscant, at the end of Jedi, and seeing hayden christensen vader ghost, and the mention of anakin skywalker in Empire, and they have better quality and graphics and special effects. Victory celebration is a way better way to end the series than the yub nub ewok song. It's more dramatic and epic.

8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Lucas is eccentric and doesn't feel the need to do something because it's an industry norm. Seems like a real enough reason to me.

9. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I like the altered releases for some reason. They add a lot of cool stuff-mentioned anakin skywalker's name, showing the cities from the prequels at the end of Return of the Jedi that make more of a connection to the prequel story, I like Hayden Christensen's vader ghost, and I think Victory Celebration is a way more epic song for the end of the series than Yub Nub. The latter kind of seemed out of place.

10. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I don't mind them. If F/X changes are honestly "ruining" a movie, then these movies probably weren't worth watching to begin with.

CaptainHamYoyo likes this.
  11. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    If the movies were worth watching and felt whole and tonally coherent at one point and then things are added, there are bound to be effects on the way one reads and experiences it that had nothing to do with how worthwhile they were in the first place. If I like pepperoni pizza and someone throws lime jello on it am I to conclude that pepperoni pizza was no good in the first place and should have been able to withstand the inclusion of lime jello?

When something is added, the effect could be one that goes almost unnoticed (seamless integration) or it could, in at least some of the alterations, upset the tone and pacing and emotional impact (my biggest complaints) forcing you to read the films in a different way that then reverberates out. I find I have this "ripple on a pond" feeling watching the SEs. The addition arrives, it feels clunky or stupid or poorly integrated and for a time, as the ripples go out and slowly dissipate, I am no longer fully enjoying the experience, I'm no longer immersed. Then the ripples fade and I start to get into it again until something else arrives to disrupt. So no, not the whole film is ruined, but sections are and they impact more than simply their specific scene. And there is also quite often the effect on the expectations of memory that will obviously disrupt the learned, natural flow.

12. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I can live with some of the smaller changes - special fx and what not - but the most noticeable ones like the Jabba scene and the extra Mos Eisley stuff in ANH and the new song in jabba's palace in ROTJ are just plain awful. Seriously, why does Lucas think they enhance the movies?

IMHO TESB is the only film that doesn't suffer for the changes.

13. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    I still think ESB suffers but MUCH less than the other two! I find the one armed Wampa silly, too in your face, but after that I'm ok with the rest, especially since the Luke scream was removed.

Yunners likes this.
  14. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I like the altered versions a lot better than the unaltered ones.[face_laugh]

15. Mnhay27

Sep 4, 2012
    Has anyone compared the orginal VHS versions side by side with the 2006 bonus disc versions?

I'm curious to know which is better. I don't have the VHS anymore but I've seen brand new/sealed tapes on ebay and I'm thinking about buying them just to have the best quality available - if indeed they would be the best. And I suspect they probably would since the DVD's are quite poor in places.

16. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Same reason a LOT of fans who like the edits like 'em.

17. Mnhay27

Sep 4, 2012
    Obviously whether one likes the additions or not comes down to personal taste. But The Jabba scene in particular looks really bad. The CGI is so poor by today's standards that it ironically looks more dated than anything else in the movie IMHO. But the main point, to me, is that it doesn't enhance the story in any way. It doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know from the Greedo scene. Same thing with the new Greedo shooting first bit. Not only does it look like somebody randomly inserted a few frames from an entirely different movie (to my eyes anyway) it doesn't really change the context of the scene either. Han was already unholstering his blaster and IIRC there's no legal difference between shooting someone pointing a gun at you or shooting someone who's shooting at you. Either way, Han was basically shooting in self defence.

I just don't see the point of these types of changes.

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Because it does, and because he's allowed to. And a lot of people agree with him. Some don't, of course. But I'm not questioning their preference.

The best official version is the 1995 Laserdisc version, not VHS.

19. Mnhay27

Sep 4, 2012
    Okay, but how and why do the Jabba and Greedo scenes enhance the movie?

No doubt, but I don't have a laserdisc player which is why I was aking about the quality difference between the VHS and the 2006 bonus discs.

20. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    They should edit Jedi, and put Hayden Christensen's voice as Darth Vader takes the mask off, and probably the face too. I'm not joking, they should do that. Hayden Christensen played Mark hamill's character's father. They should tie the trilogies together and put Hayden's face and voice talking to his son, Luke. That's what Vader looked like and sounded like before getting the mask and suit on, after he was burned.

21. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Yub Nub was a terrible song for the ending. Victory celebration is way more of a party song. It had more of an upbeat feel to it. Yub Nub was so anti-climatic for that scene, it was probably one of the worst movie soundtracks ever.

22. Mnhay27

Sep 4, 2012
    No way!

As a man who went to music school let me tell you that the Yub Nub song defecates all over that new celebration garbage.

It's more joyous, more triumphant sounding, and more suited to the situation - the new song is far too melancholy.

Plus Yub Nub is way more catchy. I can barely remember how the other one goes and I've watched the SE dozens of times.

CaptainHamYoyo likes this.
  23. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I couldn't disagree any more. Victory celebration was very upbeat, fast, more alive and active sounding, and most of all, the thing I truly disagree with- Victory celebration was triumpath and joyous sounding! Yes, i noticed a melancholic feel to it, but other than that, that was exactly the point I was trying to make. I got the feeling of triumph and joy when watching ROTJ with victory celebration. Victory celebration could have done far better without the annoying singing, but other than that, the meoldy was awesome, catchy, and upbeat!

Yub Nub, not really. It has not the lively feeling, very easy to dance to, nice beat, nor the energy of Victory celebration. Watching victory celebration when Luke saw the 3 ghosts was awesome. Yub Nub, it was slow and boring.

24. Mnhay27

Sep 4, 2012
    You cannot be serious.

I mean, the most elementry music lesson is that minor keys sound "sad" and major keys sound "happy".

And IIRC Victory celebration is in G min and Yub Nub is in G maj. Yub is way more percusive and upbeat.

25. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    The instruments used in Victory celebrtion sounded way better, though. Music depends on a combination of factors. You wouldn't play Black sabbath songs with a piano.