main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Is it disrespectful to correct a professor?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Condition2SQ, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I have to agree with others in this thread. You instantly became "that guy". For the rest of your training with this teacher now and in the future you will be remembered for being a pain in the ass. It will probably hurt any kind of recommendation from this teacher for future employment too.

2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    But everyone wants to be correct. That means that everybody wants to be told when they're wrong. So what's the problem here?

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, that sentence is extremely poorly written either way you cut it.

That said, it wasn't something worth holding up the class for (especially if you understood the question) and it especially wasn't worth talking to him after class. If, perhaps, you had just went to him after class or emailed him privately about it, I'd have a different view. You already knew he wasn't receptive to it, though, and still pushed the point.

Sometimes it's not enough to be right -- you have to be in the right too, and I kind of feel you weren't.

(NB I argued with my professors all the time -- at least in undergrad -- and they were all hugely receptive to it because I argued on matters of substance. I happily disagreed with the trend of the scholarship, provided evidence to show my points, and they were pleased that I cared enough to have a strong view on it but also backed up my points. I even, on occasion, told a professor that they were wrong, but I did so in a certain way "I feel as if the textual evidence supports a different view..." Professors like students who are engaged; but they don't like ones who look like they're trying to score points at the prof's expense.)

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    3. [True / False] Otherwise the notes pertain, a mid-air collision is a situation to avoid.

5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I had an argument with an Art History professor in class because she kept claiming that Beethoven wrote the 1812 Overture.

6. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    See, but that's a substantive issue that could seriously misinform the class. Condition's correction is just pedantic and shouldn't have been belabored.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    Professor... of ... air traffic control?

8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Ergo... Vis a Vis.... Concordently!

MrZAP likes this.
  9. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I've corrected my professors a few times. They had no problem with it..

10. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I've corrected a few of my professors a few times, too. The only one who had a problem with it had a tremendous ego. And that sentence is horribly written. I hope he does go to the English department so one of the professors there can tell him what a horrible sentence it is.

11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i hope one of the english professors cuts off three of his fingers for writing such a horrible sentence.

Darth Somnambulous, MrZAP and jp-30 like this.
  12. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I never corrected my professors. I just sat in the back, drawing weird monsters and astronauts. So in a way, I was a different kind of "that guy". I was that "that guy".

JoinTheSchwarz and jp-30 like this.
  13. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I don't see how this was belabored.... during the test, you let the point go, and bring it up after. That is, imo, exactly how you should handle something like this.

MrZAP likes this.
  14. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    My driving test instructor mixed up curve and curb. So I punched her in the face.

15. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    tom,

Can I cut off one of your fingers for failing to capitalize English? :p Or are you trying to be e e cummings, who never capitalized anything?

16. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Garden path sentece? Isn't it a grammatical error?
    I am annoyed when my teachers forget to capitalize or do other stuff like that, but I don't bring it up because everyone knows what is supposed to be there and it is not a big deal.

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The problem is that the second sentence of your post does not necessarily follow, as the night the day, the first sentence. You are either incredibly naive or else a purposeful hellraiser. I have my theory, but let that pass. Either way, you must stay incredibly busy.

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    When I was a boy, one of my chemistry teachers used to spell positive as "posative," and we would all snicker gleefully on account of it.

19. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'd imagine they wouldn't protest if a katana wielding student corrected them

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  21. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Juliet that URL has "wielding" spelled as "weilding." It's okay I sent them an email about it.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Understatement of the century.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I hadn't noticed the misspelling, but now that brings up a whole new set of brain images involving swords and construction tools.

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I don't know; the fact that the instructor is apparently so illiterate that not only is he writing test questions grammatically mangled to the point of near-incomprehensiblity, but he insists that his question is perfectly correct upon being confronted with the fact that it's unreadable seems like an issue that could affect the class's ability to be informed.

If the instructor had just said during the first question that he was sorry for screwing up the question, but here's the meaning since you're confused -- yeah, no need to bring it up again. But the fact that he clearly didn't understand that he was forcing the class to parse grammatical nonsense can justify a polite, waiting-until-the-end follow-up. The fact that he still didn't get it justifies a beating with a bag of oranges. This isn't "there should have been a comma here" or "you used 'diffuse' instead of 'defuse'" -- that's pedantry. This is basic competence in constructing a sentence. The problem is not with being "that guy" -- the problem is the smug imbecile who's instructing a class without knowing how to write a sentence.

Lowbacca_1977, MrZAP and Mar17swgirl like this.
  25. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    This katana crap has gotten old. Y'all need to let it go.