main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Rebuttal: RLM's Attack of the Clones Review

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Luukeskywalker, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    No, he was hired because he's a very good actor who happens to be enthusiastic about Star Wars.
    Who said that it would?

Sam - he's good
    /LM

2. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    The RLM reviews are nothing but cliche, overused points brought up by fans and film critics alike, that have a spin on them with innuendos. Nothing more, I would have laughed at them 10 years ago. But now, the prequel trilogy bashing bandwagon should have came to a crashing halt years ago. Reviving it is pointless. They're nothing but critics wanting views.

3. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    How do the RLM reviews have a spin on them? Also, the RLM reviewer said that Samuel l jackson played characters that were tough guys, and had a "certain intensity to them". Then he played other samuel l jackson movies where he was cursing, something Jackson is famous for, implying that he wanted Samuel l jackson to curse in star wars.

Which I don't agree with RLM.

4. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Whoever made the RLM reviews is either some cheesy comedian or the biggest nitpicker ever.

5. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I actually think his point was that Sam Jackson shouldn't be anywhere near Star Wars, because he's a recognizable actor with a well-known style that isn't compatible with these movies.
    I disagree with him, though. Star Wars is aimed at 12-year-olds and I highly doubt that he was very recognizable amongst that age group when the PT came about. Kids grew up seeing him as Mace Windu, much like kids of the eighties grew up seeing Alec Guinness as Obi-Wan Kenobi, though he was a renowned movie actor decades before Star Wars was even the fragment of an idea in GL's brain.
    Lucas has been very good at finding actors who fit their parts and won't be recognized by the target audience as anyone but their Star Wars characters.

Recognition is, but it isn't
    /LM

6. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Star wars is not intended for 12 yr olds. Anyone can watch it. It has fans of all age demographics. There is no set age, for when, a person watching sci fi becomes "too old" to watch it. People of all ages like Star wars.

Besides, with all the politics, battles, and stuff like that-how is that a 12 yr old movie?

7. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What's wrong with Jackson being in star wars? Why was he not the right choice for Mace windu? I think it's cool. Mace windu is Nick fury and was on snakes on a plane.

Besides, if Jackson was the wrong actor for Windu, who should have played Mace windu?

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't know whether Star Wars is intended for 12-year-olds or not, and don't particularly care, but even if it is, that doesn't preclude anyone from watching it. We've got people of all ages on this website which proves that it being geared towards a particular age doesn't matter.

I'd say if Stoklasa is picking on Samuel L. Jackson being in Star Wars because he was already known for other roles, he's just looking for details to nitpick. And it's pretty insulting to Jackson to assume that his scope as an actor is limited to the cursing character in Pulp Fiction. Jackson has a much broader range than that.

Andy Wylde and Valairy Scot like this.
  9. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Yeah. Samuel L. Jackson's job as an actor isn't to say that infamous curse word all the time, like in Snakes on a plane. Typecasting is really dumb.

Morgan freeman or the other actors that Stoklasa mentioned could not have done Mace windu's dialogue in ROTS like Jackson did. If they did it, it would sound horrible.

10. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    Ok guys, i think it's time for the next part of the review Rebuttal, Luuke Skywalkerr, where are you!?!

11. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    But i was just going to the tosche station to pick up some power converters!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Legacy Jedi Endordude likes this.
  12. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Yeah. Jackson doesn't always have to say that infamous word to be a good actor. He was nick fury in avengers, and there was no need for things like that. Red letter media is either ignorant or just trying to sound dumb and bad attempts at comedy. Those reviews are always nitpicking at everything for no reason!!!!

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    But he did say "stupid-azz", and Nick Fury should never say that.

14. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    But he didn't say the infamous word starting with an M. Nick fury saying "stupid azz" is not as bad as samuel l jackson's other profanity, the one word he always uses. Hint: its the word he uses in the snakes on a plane scene where he says "enough is enough i have had it with these (bleep) snakes on this (bleep) plane.

15. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    No one said it would, except for RLM. Plinkett implied it would though. "the allure that samuel l jackson would play some a** kicking Jedi". He showed clips of samuel l jackson saying extreme profanity to show his "toughness", implying he waned Jackson to do that.

Dueling the Emperor didnt make windu a tough guy? RLM is so stupid. Mace windu was a very tough character. Arguably the most importnat character in the entire SW saga.

16. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    [face_shame_on_you]

17. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    8-}

18. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Yes. Reviews for movies are really only very valuable shortly after the movie release, and prefereably before. I would not review Anna Karenina because it's been around for ages and has been reviewed and reviewed already.

19. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    The only reason RLM made those reviews is because Star Wars is still relevant in geek culture and there're a lot of people who like the prequels (or at least accept as part of the canon, even if they think they're inferior to the originals). If everyone really hated them, there would be no profit in stirring up the controversy (think about a detailed review of Battlefield Earth - who needs it?).

Andy Wylde likes this.
  20. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I refuse to take RLM's reviews seriously, and I pity anyone who does.

Originally, I thought he was just a comedian, making fun of the Prequels just to get a few hits. But as his later videos show, he actually believes the points he makes are valid, and disregards anyone who disagrees. While he does have his moments, I really think stirring up more hate just for some publicity was a bad move.

21. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Sep 9, 2012
    The sad thing is got look at the phantom menace's likes and dislikes! It breaks my heart! Are so many fans prequel haters!?!?!?!

22. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm glad that someone was able to create a 108 page product to give comfort to those that are able to "gush" over the PT. I know how it must have felt to discover this piece of rebuttal that was able to help you deal with the disappointment, anger, or frustration you must have felt when watching the RLM reviews because I started to experience those same feelings at about 12:17am on May 21, 1999.

For those of you that absolutely HATE the RLM reviews, I would like for you to consider the following pop culture effect: If it weren't for RLM and the PT reviews, I personally would have not become interested in Star Wars again.

What Plinkett did, like it or not, was give a voice to the frustrated masses who want to love Star Wars, but just couldn't in the face of the how awful the PT turned out. I'm one of those people that after the PT, didn't bother engaging with another SW product for years, and kind of felt like it was over forever. Even when my friends decided to go to the theater to watch TCW for bad movie night, I was so disgusted with it all that I didn't go. My attitude was "never again, George Lucas... never again."

Fast forward to early 2012. I became aware of the RLM reviews. The discovery of those videos meant there was at last way for me to enjoy the PT again. Whenever I feel the need for a Star Wars fix, I now have this other thing to watch, and I'm not limited to merely watching the OT for the quadrillianth time. The RLM reviews, even in those places where they were shamelessly propagandistic, connected with me as a fan of movies. In my opinion the PT were always bad movies, so bad that it was actually disheartening enough to make me simply stop giving Star Wars any of my time or attention. With the RLM reviews making it obvious that there was a healthy ratio of people that felt the same way I do, (22,123 likes to 1,846 dislikes or a rough 92% approval of the RLM videos,) it felt "safe" to let my feelings for the PT go. It's why I decided to give The Clone Wars a chance, and despite it's connection to the PT, I'm kind of digging it.

I find it sad that in terms of the full EU that we have to be stuck with the PT turkeys marring the canvas of what is otherwise one of the best stories of all time, but thanks to RLM and their reviews, I was at least was able to find a road back into the Star Wars universe... and though I can't prove it, I suspect that my story isn't unique.

23. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Sep 9, 2012
    I disagree that the amount of liked a guy gets proves how bad the PT was, it could just mean they though his review were funny. And besides this is the internet, you’re just speaking about the internet. I'd say that most people enjoy the PT. Not everyone has a YouTube account, and not every YouTube likes or dislikes a video. One might click the play button, hear the first words, and then quickly get off the site. So I disagree that most 92% of people like RLM videos, but instead, 92% of youtubers who watched his videos. And a lot of them are probably from the older generation, the younger generation may have a completely different view! Like I do!

24. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I've come across posts from people who gave up their fandom after ROTJ came out. Some of them came back during the prequel era and even prefer the prequels to ROTJ. The Internet fandom really blows things out of proportion.

25. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    If I consider the "high-class" commets you usually get to see on YouTube, I don't know if "Likes" from that kind of people are a good or a bad thing :D ;)

Besides, PiettsHat proved in another thread that likes/dislikes on YouTube mean nothing and that's only logical.

That makes me wonder if the RLM guy realizes that without the PT, noone (even the frustrated internet crowd) would know him...I mean, all he is "famous" for is bashing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.