main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It goes out of its way to say that laser technology predates blaster technology.

"Uses Focused light to create long ranged, accurate, highly damaging blasts of energy" was the phrase used.

That might apply to the beam weapons we see in Attack of the Clones- but it doesn't sound much like the weapons we see in the OT.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    It must as Blaster use Lasers ;)

As part of blaster technology? :confused:

3. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Its contrasted with "Blasters create bolts of concentrated particles".

Still, I prefer the notion that all the laser does is energize the particles that are fired. It's not "a blast of energy"- it's "a blast of energized particles"

(that said, with wave-particle duality, people could say the same about true lasers "It's a blast of highly energized particles- photons- which are particles of light").

4. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    We see both heat and kinetic effects whenever turbolasers hit something, so it's safe to say there's a particle-component to the technology.

5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The line "That was no laser blast, something hit us" is a bit of a hint that, whatever the kinetic effect, it's noticably different than an impact would be.

I think Saxton's theory was that it's so powerful that it invokes the "Even electromagnetic photons have kinetic energy- though negligible" principle- so if you use enough of them, you'll get an object visibly knocked sideways.

6. Kal Shadaar

Kal Shadaar Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2012
    I need help to identify the ships on this illustration. I can't find them anywhere (except for the Lucrehulk).

7. Kal Shadaar

Kal Shadaar Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2012
    Double post. Sorry.

8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    They sadly don’t show up anywhere else than this illustration.

9. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    The one in the upper left looks like a VERY heavily modified Providence, but beyond that...*shrugs*

EDIT: Or at least a similar design.

10. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    A heavily modified smaller Providence and I recognize at least two Hutt designs from Galaxies. One is the M22-T Krayt gunship, possibly. There's also two designs (with and without wings) that look like they were made by the same manufacturer.

11. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
  12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    If I remember correctly, this should be before the Providence was invented.

13. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    A predecessor then?

If this is earlier it makes some sense.

14. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Given the big news from October 30th...

FLEET JUNKIES, HO!

So, we have a whole new era ahead of us! We don't know how far post-ROTJ this new Sequel Trilogy will be, but I think it is a sure bet that it will be close enough to the OT that we will still see the the starfighter and capital ship designs we all know and love. The prospect of seeing X-wings, Star Destroyers, and all the other starships we known in full modern CGI glory is really exciting to me. Considering how iconic these designs are, I can't imagine the new Sequel Trilogy not having them, but I suppose time will tell.

So, what designs from the OT are you most excited to see in the ST? Secondly, what are your favorite EU designs that you would love to see in the ST?

For me personally, of all the OT designs, I would say the X-wing and the MC80a wingless cruisers are the two designs I am most excited to see. In terms of the Expanded Universe, I would love to see E-wings and Assault Frigates.

What are you all excited for?

--Adm. Nick

15. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    My username and sig should make a couple fairly obvious :p

OT: X-Wing, and Home One-style Mon Cal Cruiser

EU: Vic-Star, and K-Wing.

16. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Honestly? Nothing, just put your SW fandom on hold for 2-3 years and if Disney doesn’t torpedo everything by then, just come back, otherwise it stopped having a point anyway and it will be a dead franchise rotten from within like Star Trek.

17. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Err...don't you mean Disney?

And really, they aren't stupid, I don't see them doing anything that stupid. They know well enough that if SW VII doesn't blow it out of the park then the rest of the movies aren't going to do well.

18. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Sorry so used to Marvel torpedoing stuff in general

Wait and see, if they don’t mess it up one can always come back and catch up, if they do, what’s done with is done with. Somehow the whole new movie thing just expanded the „I don’t even care anymore“ feeling that LOTF/FOTJ brought up for me onto all of SW.

19. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I just watched the latest episode of TCW. Awesome new CEC starship design shown. Elements of the CR90 corvette, but with a awesome engine arrangement and a wider bow. I really like the vessel. I can't tell if it is newer than a CR90 or maybe an older design. Either way, it was wicked cool!

--Adm. Nick

20. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
  21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Looks kind of like a mix between Consular and the classic Corellian corvette, though I think it might get a databank entry with the episode guide.

22. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    It looked both older, yet sleeker, than the CR-series corvettes. Very weird. Also very 1970s ILM concept design-ish. I liked it a lot.
    Also shades of KOTOR and especially the Axehead.

I also hear the new TOR novel has alternate designations for TOR ship designs, including CR12 corvette for the militarized version of the Wanderer-class transport (the Thranta-class's little cousin).

23. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Ok, the new concept art for the Crucible shows the head is a horisontal version of the one on the Hammerhead-class. I wonder if it's meant to be from the KOTOR era or older?

24. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Edit: Double post.

25. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Interesting. I alos notice that the Crucible appears to have signs of outward damage. One would hope that the Jedi Order puts proper maintenence into a vessel that transports children. :p

But yeah, I am digging the retro vibe on that vessel.

--Adm. Nick