main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What would you add/subtract to make the Prequels better?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarthEmpron, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002

After watching the Prequels, it's obvious GL intended for the Jedi Order to look cold, shallow and out of touch with the Force. That's what you have to understand about the Jedi during this time. They followed and were held to a strict code that disallowed any personal feelings and attachments with family and friends, but it wasn't until after Qui-Gon communed with Yoda and Obi-Wan from the Force had they realized they had been wrong enforcing such a dogmatic policy.

I imagine that this whole Jedi Code that we have come to know of in the Prequels was something that was implemented right after the millennia ago Sith Empire had been defeated, in order to better ensure that no Jedi would ever fall to the Dark Side again. I imagine this is also when they started to lose their once powerful connection to the Force, which eventually lost them the ability to Force Ghost, too. It's almost as if the Force had turn its back on them in order to teach them a lesson, sort of like in the bible where God turned on the people during Noah's time.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Imagine alec guiness obi wan from the originals communicating with liam neeson's qui gon ghost, in a new hope. That sounds awesome.

Also, what do you mean by the Sith empire that was defeated a millennia ago? There was no Sith empire before the galactic empire of the original trilogy.

whostheBossk likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Zeta1127 likes this.
  4. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Did the sith empire have the Death Star, like Palpatine did in his empire? The galactic empire in star wars movies is a Sith theocracy. It's ruled by Palpatine and Vader as his 2nd in command apprentice in episodes 4-6, and at the middle-end of episode 3, when the sith take over.

The Jedi didn't want them to rule the galaxy in Episode 3 because they were evil. Windu said that the oppression of the Sith will never return, and Palpatine said that the sith once more, will rule the galaxy, implying that they ruled the galaxy in the past. In phantom menace, I remember something about the sith returning and a thousand years, but I forgot what it was. So, even without the expanded universe, which is canon just like the movies, just from the movies alone we know that the sith are an ancient order that once ruled the galaxy.

However, why were the Sith evil, before Palpatine? Why was it evil that they ruled the galaxy? Palpatine used the death Star. Billions died on Alderaan in Episode 4, and who knows what the empire would have done with that space station if the rebels never existed or lost the war and never stopped them? That alone proves their evil nature. However, it seems kind of wierd that the sith would have a space station planet destroyer for millenia though. I don't believe the Death Star existed before the timeline of the prequels. It was a new invention that the Geonosians (not sure if spelling is correct) made, that count dooku had the plans for. It was never the part of the sith religion. Just an invention the Sith happened to find. The death star wars not a part of the story until episode 4. So, when Padme and obi wan were upset that Anakin became evil and helped the Sith to take over and rule the empire with the sith, it was not because of the death star.

So, why was the Sith empire evil? I don't mean the sith empire with vader and palpatine, that question is already answered in a new hope and the rest of the originals, but I mean the sith empire before them? Before the death star. Before the events of the prequels. The sith that the jedi defeated 1000 years ago. They had no death star. Yet, they were evil, and, as Mace Windu said, "opressive"? What did they do? Did the expanded universe tell us? The movies don't have time to explain everything?

Also, did Palpatine do what they did?

5. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Also, a love triangle between anakin, padme, and obi wan, like luke, han, and leia, in the originals, just sounds weird. It would make the prequels far worse, and redundant to the formula of the originals, but in a bad way.

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    No, the Dark Empire from the Dark Horse Comics' Dark Empire Trilogy was a dark side theocracy, while the Galactic Empire was a devolved constitutional monarchy and a humanocentric authoritarian empire.

7. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I know, but what I meant was, that it was ruled by the sith. I know the terminology was wrong, but I still knew was I was referring to.:D

8. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The dark side didn't rule the Galactic Empire, only two dark side practitioners did, which is different than the dark side ruling the Empire.

9. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Disagree. There were friendships - Obi-Wan with Dex.

10. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Things I would change in AOTC. Again, just minor edits.

Remove scene where the Queen's guard informs her that they had arrived at Coruscant.

Remove Typho's opening dialogue wth Padme after arriving on the landing platform. It sort of gives away that something bad will happen.

Remove Obi-Wan's fake chuckle in the elevator.

Place the scene when Zam Wessel puts away her rifle and climbs into her speeder right after the scene where Obi-Wan points and says, "There he is". I never liked how the Jedi just happened to find her in all that traffic, especially when it looked like she flew in the opposite direction way before Anakin saves his master from falling.

Change dialogue where robot waitress says, "You want a Jawa juice?" to some other named juice. It's just weird hearing about something from a backwater planet's indigenous race having a common beverage, plus it makes the Galaxy seem much smaller when you reference everything pertaining to Tatooine. Enough already.

Cut out the awkward paused downward look on Anakin right after he floats the sliced piece of fruit over to Padme.

Trim some of the love dialogue so it sounds better in some scenes.

Cut down on some of the laser fire coming from Slave I so it doesn't look like Obi-Wan would've been blown to kingdom come.

Cut Anakin's line where he says, "I miss you, mom. I miss you...so...much." Poor delivery on Hayden's part, plus it's redundant.

Add back in the deleted scene where Padme tries to persuade Dooku to release Obi-Wan.

Change Padme's weapon into something much smaller. It just looks fake that she's holding a heavy two handed gun with one hand.

Make it look like the blasts that were hitting Coleman Trebor was actually inflicting serious scorched wounds on his body, the same goes for every Jedi that gets killed during the arena battle.

Cut the scene where Dooku and Anakin are just swinging their lightsabers over their heads.

Alter the scene where it looks like Anakin is frozen right before he gets his arm lopped off and add Anakin holding one hand to his throat, so it looks like he was being Force Choked before he got wounded and thrown back.

Fix any part of Yoda's duel with Count Dooku where their lightsabers don't touch. Either remove the noise that they sound like they're hitting or make it appear that the blades are touching.

MrFantastic74 likes this.
  11. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Well, I would have to say that some, like Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Yoda were probably the few exceptions, but I'm sure most were arrogant enough to feel that they didn't want or need friends outside of the Jedi Order.

12. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Another contradiction. Jedi banned marriage. Yet they allowed friendships, which by definition involve emotional connections and attachments. Like anakin and obi wan, who were probably just as close as anakin and padme. Just keep it consistent. That's how I like it.

13. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Like I said, there were probably only so many that even bothered to make friends outside of the Order. I'm guessing Obi-Wan learned this friend making behavior from Yoda and Qui-Gon. Mace, like the others on the Jedi Council, seem sort of cold and distant.

14. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Mace windu was so cold.

15. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Give a reason for why Padme didn't join Vader and rule the galaxy with him. The Death Star is the reason the empire is evil. She had no idea about the death star. Also, she wouldn't have been a cruel leader if she was Empress Amidala. So, why not rule the galaxy at his side? If she has power, she wouldn't do anything bad with it. Anakin promised her they could bring peace and make things the way they want them to be. She was dumb.[face_laugh][face_dancing]

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    She was dumb because she didn't believe in totalitarianism?

The only thing that made the Empire evil was the Death Star? How about the Sith Lord that was its absolute ruler?

The films did a pretty good job of explaining why Padme didn't join Vader. She had spent her entire career working for democracy. It would make no sense whatsoever for her to give any sort of support for the opposite.

17. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    It is my opinion that Padme was dumb, because she acted very melodramatic and crying, and she lost the will to live.

The Empire was evil, because the Sith Lord has absolute power and did bad things with it, like the death star. Padme did not know about that. That's another thing I didn't get. The clone troopers just betrayed the republic, the Jedi, and did bad things just because Palpatine was appointed Emperor. They were dumb too.

Having Star wars villains be evil for political reasons is not epic at all. I couldn't care less about politics in a story with action and adventure, sci-fi, robots, laser swords, space aliens, space travel, superpowers, cyborgs knights, mythical elements like princesses, heroes and villains. I never got the feel for Palpatine's evil plan in episode 3, it was never mentioned. "Because of what you've done, what you plan to do"-Padme.

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Padme knew about the massacre of the Jedi- since Obi-Wan told her, and she saw the Temple burning.

The EU explains, to a degree- why the clones carried out the Order- it was one of several contingency orders- if their allies go renegade, the clones deal with them.

"Execute Order 66" is shorthand for "The Jedi have turned against the Republic. Kill them"

We're told in AoTC by the Kaminoans that the clones are extremely obedient.

19. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Why did Palpatine order the Jedi to be wiped out? That sounds kind of dumb and pointless for him. No real reason for him to do it.

When padme was on mustafar, order 66 already happened. She couldn't change the past. At that point, why was Palpatine/Empire/Sith evil? How would they be evil in the future, more specifically.

In AOTC, why were the clones extremley obedient? Were the clone in ROTS all fett clones, or some where? Does that mean that the stormtroopers from the orignal trilogy are boba fett clones?

Was the scene were obi wan told padme that anakin turned to the darkside, before, or after the attack on the temple? At that point, did padme know that anakin was responsible for attacking the Jedi, even before obi wan mentioned the security hologram and the jedi and the younglings? What if anakin turned to the darkside, without helping Palpatine? Would the Jedi and Padme and Obi wan accept him then?

Also, I don't understand this quote.

The EU explains, to a degree- why the clones carried out the Order- it was one of several contingency orders- if their allies go renegade, the clones deal with them.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He ordered them to be wiped out because, if he didn't, they'd thwart his plan to rule over the galaxy. Plus revenge, hence "Revenge of the Sith"

Evil done in the immediate past is a strong hint that there will be evil in the future.

The clones are obedient because they'd been trained that way from birth.

Padme was told by Obi-wan of Anakin's actions after the attack on the temple. In the novel Anakin tells her that the Jedi have gone renegade- and that he and Palpatine have to stop them- so she knows already that he's against the Jedi, even if she doesn't know what he's done yet.

In the EU, there's a whole lot of Orders for the clones, which explain what happened, and what the clones have to do in response. In effect, the writers of the Order list have a Plan for virtually everything.

Order 65, for those that are interested, is a Plan for what happens if Palpatine turns out to be a traitor.
    So if the right people told the Clones "Execute order 65" they would know that Palpatine's turned traitor and has to be arrested.

(Order 66 specifies lethal force because the Jedi have superpowers- the Force, and it's "too dangerous" to arrest them).

21. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    I'm sure this has already been killed to death, but to answer the OP's question...I could do without Jar-Jar Binks. Threepio and Artoo were comic relief enough.

And why, oh, why did they have to kill off the coolest (well, second coolest next to Boba) villan in the whole series? When I first saw PM, I was like, "huh? What? Did the padawan just cut the Sith assassin in half? Am I seeing things?"

I know he comes back in TCW, as a sad shadow of his former self, but what in Mustafar was George thinking when he decided to kill off Maul...by a vengeful Padawan, no less?!

22. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Obi-Wan had released his anger/hate to the Force before killing (well...) Maul. And I, for one, didn't think Maul was all that cool. Good riddance, I said.

23. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Darth maul was the stupidest villian ever. Good riddance, for sure. He was all "look at me i'm a scary red skinned devil in space"! Too extreme. Physical apperarence alone made darth maul stupid. Darth Vader's physical appearence? He was awesome. A young, long dark haired man with yellow eyes, black robes, a blue lightsaber? Awesome. Later on, after being fried on mustafar. A bald headed, burned, limbless guy? Awesome!! His whiny voice was kind of cool for a villian, not all villians have to sound all scary. Later on, a cyborg with an entire- black robot suit, with robotic limbs and a breathing panel on chest, with a cape, a samurai like helmet that he mechanically breathes through, and james earl jone's deep voice. Awesome!!!

Darth maul looked like a sterytpical devil. Stupid. Was even a human or an alien? We had no idea who he was too. We didn't need him. Lucas should've put assaj ventress in TPM.

24. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What revenge? Also, without the "revenge", would order 66 have still happened?

25. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What's wrong with phantom menace? I once hated TMP myself, but the more I watched it, the more I liked it and let go of my bias against the prequels.

Padme's long red robes and geisha face, quasi-asian clothing, anakin asking padme if she's a space angel when he's a young innocent child (darth vader in the future, that's the best part of it, vader asking luke and leia's future mom if she's a space alien angel), the droid armies invading naboo, a new pretty planet called naboo, that makes the SW galaxy even bigger, galaxies are big, the lizardman alien Nute gunray that dies by young unsuited Vader's lightsaber eventually, his cool voice, the part where qui gon and padme fight droids on naboo, yoda knights obi wan, and the jedi cremation funeral mirroring ROTJ and the ending celebration where padme smiles at anakin, mirroring their daughter Leia smiling at their son luke 30 something years later, and the part where anakin destroys the droid space station, mirroring a new hope- were all awesome!!!

I can defend whiny, 9 yr old, kid anakin who couldn't do anything, too. That was a plot point that's very easy to defend. A common fan complaint.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.