main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What plot changes would you make to the OT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by MrFantastic74, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe instead of the Death Star in Episode 4 Han, Chewie, Luke and Ben have to rescue Leia from Vjun and Vader's Castle and after that Vader takes his Star Destroyer to Yavin following them but is defeated.

2. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    What's the big deal about Vader's castle? Was it in a deleted script or something? I don't remember it at all. Where did that idea come from?

3. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Give a reason for us to believe that the Sith, the darkside, and the Empire is evil and have to be stopped and defeated. The SW originals never proved to us that the rebels were good and justified and the "bad guys" were really bad and had to be overthrown. Alderaan isn't enough. It was done to spite Princess Leia. If the rebels never existed, they never would have used it on Alderaan.

Besides, the empire had no plans whatsoever to use it on any other planet. They already did it on Alderaan.

4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Vader's Castle was where he planned his next move in galactic domination of course:p
    In all seriousness it's where Vader went to get away from it all I think. He took Obi-Wan's lightsaber there after ANH. Anakin Solo went there in Vader's Fortress a book of the Junior Jedi Knights series.

5. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Here's what I would have done.

Forgot about a long time ago. In my SW OT version, star wars takes place far into the future, hundreds of years or possibly a thousand or few into the future! Yeah! Star wars looks so futuristic. It should have been futuristic. Futuristic space opera is way better than space opera in ancient times. Way cooler, and sci-fi.

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That would ruin it for me. I love the A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away tagline. Gives me chills.

7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away" is the embodiment of Star Wars, without that it would just be another generic sci-fi story, not the space opera that it is.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed. The RoTS novel gave it especial resonance:

This story happened a long time ago in a galaxy far,
    far away. It is already over. Nothing can be done to
    change it.
    It is a story of love and loss, brotherhood and betrayal,
    courage and sacrifice, and the death of dreams. It is a story
    of the blurred line between our best and our worst.
    It is the story of the end of an age.
    A strange thing about stories-
    Though this all happened so long ago and so far away
    that words cannot describe the time or the distance, it is
    also happening right now. Right here.
    It is happening as you read these words.
    This is how twenty-five millennia come to a close. Cor-
    ruption and treachery have crushed a thousand years of
    peace. This is not just the end of a republic; night is falling
    on civilization itself.
    This is the twilight of the Jedi.
    The end starts now.

Force Smuggler and Zeta1127 like this.
  9. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Why don't you like Anakin Skywalker, luke and leia (his twin children), padme, obi wan, han solo, chewie, yoda, the emperor, and all the people/aliens/places/story in the star wars saga coming from far into the future, in a faraway galaxy? It sounds kind of cool. After this century is gone, the star wars story happens far into the future. Chilling.

Star wars is already a space opera-regardless of it taking place a long time ago, in the present, or in the future. Not another generic sci-fi. It's still sci fi. I love space opera way more than boring generic sci fi. Space opera uses science, like outer space and aliens, as a backdrop for a character/hero-driven story, rather than a science driven story.

For instance, ratchet and clank. It probably is a futuristic game, but that doesn't change the space opera feel to it.

Sci fi can be any time period.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Which means there's no problem with it being in the past rather than the future.

Though there are some issues- like cold white dwarf stars being mentioned in the books, when the universe is already not nearly old enough for them to have cooled.

11. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    However, I prefer SW being futuristic. It's more sci fi-ish, and interesting. And epic.

12. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Not only would I have written SW to be futuristic, I would have mentioned earth or the milky way galaxy somewhere. Or a star/galaxy/planet that astronomers know of. Make SW sci-fi.

13. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Somewhere in the future, in a galaxy far far away.
    Far into the future, in a galaxy far far away.

Futuristic is way cooler than ancient for sci-fi.

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That's why its my signature or at least part of it anyway.

15. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Why is star wars better if it takes place in the past than in the future?

16. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Also, maybe the people who are saying "a long time ago" are from the even further future, telling the events of the past, which are still the future to us.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    "A long time in the future, in a galaxy far, far away" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

Yunners and Force Smuggler like this.
  18. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    But maybe in a different language, where things sound different, it rolls of the tongue. Depends on the language.

What's wrong with a futuristic star wars? A futuristic world with worn out spaceships and people wearing cloaks and robes sounds way better than a polished, futuristic society where they wear spacesuits (boring, sci-fi, too much like boring sci fi, generic sci-fi), and it sounds a bit cooler than an ancient galaxy like that.

19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'd say this thread has just about run its course. Lord_Tyrannus, in the future if people aren't replying to you, don't repeatedly post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.