main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [MAD MEN] Guy walks into an advertising agency...

Discussion in 'Community' started by kingthlayer, Jul 25, 2010.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    He was saying that he was obviously being sarcastic, given that the 60s weren't that long ago. :p

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    ... I'm not sure how the second part of his post escaped my notice the first like 5 times I read his post. I'm chalking it up to sleep deprivation :oops: But really, I just noticed his question and thought he was curious.

-sj loves kevin spacey

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    This is the experience of which I'm currently in the middle. I got through season one in two sittings, and now with a third sitting I'm five episodes into season two. Can't get enough. There's nothing more fun than heckling Pete through an entire episode.

4. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Pete has quickly become one of my favorite characters. Simply because he's so unlikable. He's like if Don had all of his ambition but none of his charm, and had to make up for it by being a simpering *****.

5. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I hate Pete so much. But the episode where he gets "unmanned" not once, or twice, but THREE times...wow. With my feminist mindcap on, that episode was brilliant. He really is trying so hard to be like Don and it is really sad. Honestly, I think one of the driving forces for his own philandering is that he wants to be like Don. I loved how surprised Pete was when Don decided to go home to Megan instead of hang out with the prostitutes.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    At least Don shapes up by the end of the season. Phew!

7. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Someone should really edit the title of this thread...

8. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Pete is a great character. He's an ass, but he's such a well-written and -acted and fully realized character that it's impossible not to feel bad for him at times. He's ambitious, but he can't quite figure out how to act on it. He resents being dependent on others, but he's so used to being handed everything that he doesn't know how to earn for himself and resents the fact that he can't earn it just by showing up. He's a kid desperately seeking approval and success, and the fact that he doesn't know how to get them is killing him.

My favorite bit of writing and characterization is the way that, unlike everyone else, he can't manage to conceal himself. Don is a master liar; he doesn't say too much, doesn't reveal himself to others. Roger can lie like a pro. Everyone else at the office knows not to say too much. Even Betty is great at not saying what she's thinking. But Pete can't help continually infecting his commentary with his petulance, narcissism, insecurity, and callousness. He tries for a compliment, and the unintentionally telling, "I'm giving up my life to be with you, aren't I?" comes out. My favorite example is when he tells Don, "It matters to me that you're impressed." He could have used a dozen other less revealing formulations, more appropriate to an era and workplace of reserve. "I respect your opinion." "It means a lot coming from you." But instead all that neediness and vulnerability just slips out. Tremendous.

9. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Nicely said Havac. Totally agreed. How much of the show have you seen? There are several great Pete moments in Season 5, that just totally reinforce what you're saying.

10. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Five episodes into season two.

"It's Mozart!"

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah Pete is my favorite character. Not in the sense that I like him the most as a person (that would go to Kenny), but in that he's the most fascinating character to me.

12. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, my favorite is Roger. Because he's Roger. But Don, Pete, Peggy, and Betty are clearly the most fascinating characters so far. Joan is great, too, and Cooper is fantastic whenever he's deployed. I also like seeing more of the supporting characters like Sal, Ken, and Harry.

What I'm saying is that this series has good characters.

MarasFire and Handmaiden Yané like this.
  13. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I'm the same when it comes to Roger. When I'm out in public, I try to put on my best Don image (minus the infidelity) but deep down, I'm really Roger and I think that's why I love him so much.

Havac likes this.
  14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    When I'm out in public, I put on my best Glenn image.

15. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    That sounds about right.

16. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Oh just you wait until Lane.

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Roger has the best lines and quips for sure. But overall he isn't the most interesting character. I love him though.

18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  19. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Ugh, will she just go away already?

Also, their swimsuits seem really...modern?

20. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm enjoying Lane now. But Roger still gets all the best lines. "You ever get three sheets to the wind and try that thing on?"

Also, Duck can go to hell.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Lol, no arguments there.

22. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    PEGGY NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I hope season three ends with Ken riding his lawnmower over Duck.

Darth McClain likes this.
  23. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Late 60's. Roughly the same amount of skin that we have now.

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Just saw this in another thread.
    [​IMG]
    SURPRISE! THERE'S AN AIRPLANE HERE TO SEE YOU!!!!!

25. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    When does Season 6 get here?