main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Go science?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Sep 26, 2012.

1. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS
    EXCEPT EUROPA
    ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE
    USE THEM TOGETHER
    USE THEM IN PEACE

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    DNA smart materials

Headlines like this make me think of Robotech from the 80's and the American version which featured Protoculture being a source of energery and a source of gentic engineering to an incredible degree.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    As opposed to the original version where Protoculture was just kissing and singing?

Singing terrible goddamn songs, I might add.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  4. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Something tells me I should be worried about this, but I don't know enough about it to be sure.

5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  6. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    So much computing power and we still have nothing resembling HAL as of today.

Actually, those last two lines were only written for the movie. The rest of the message is ok.

And for the third Space Odysseys reference of the day, one minor subplot of the novel 2010 that was later expanded on its sequel, 2061, was the possibility of Jupiter having a diamond core and what happened when one massive chunk of that core impacted Europa.

7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    2061 was a very good hard scifi book. I think it would make a great film.

8. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I'm not sure about that. I think that point - it's being a harder SF book than it predecessors, which were clearly written with movies in mind - it's possibly one if the cons against a movie adaptation.

Besides I think the time for a third Space Odyssey movie - whether with 2061, 3001, or a combination of both books - has come and gone. 2010 wasn't very successful or well received and it's nearly 30 years old. Roy Scheider is no longer among the living, and the last two chapters of the story simply aren't that compelling to warrant a film adaptation. 2010 capped off its own story rather well, even if it really wasn't a necessary sequel to 2001.

9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  10. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I think I'd rather just eat tofu and veggie burgers (they're really not bad imo) than artificially cultured meat.

11. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I prefer my meat bloody.

12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    If it's chemically and physically the same, then why is it worse?

Also, I'd rather eat lab grown meat than meat out of an animal's body. Isn't that more eww?

13. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Chalk it up to the spontaneous ick factor I guess. Anyway, is it even possible to scale this up into a large-scale factory? And even if they could, would they be able to produce synthetic meat cheap enough to compete with regular meat?

14. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
  15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Except for all the folks commenting on the article. Climate change = extreme weather and we keep getting that over and over. There is science which says yes, and bought politicians that say no. I only hope the former wins.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Why spend money to buy politicians when you can just propagate a conspiracy theory blaming a cabal of evil liberal scientists and their sinister agenda for free?

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    You do it with politicians. You have to. People vote them into office and they become powerful tools.

18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Yay wind power!

175 wind turbines for 470,000 homes. Off the cuff there are approx 130 million homes in the U.S. That would mean we need about 50,000 wind turbines to power them all. Personally I would prefer every home, building, and flat surface aside from trafficed ground be covered in thin film solar panels, much of the power out on the east coast might still be running that way.

Harry Potter newspapers ont he way

[​IMG]

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    "Let me say that again: We're going back to the moon, attempting a first-ever mission to send humans to an asteroid and actively developing a plan to take Americans to Mars," Garver added

I never heard a word on Romney's position on space exploration other than his total putdown of Gingrich's moonbase comment. Funny that Newt is shot down on all sides and it was considered a gaffe but this+Obama and it seems to be accepted.

Planet 7 times the mass of Earth found within habitable zone

The article goes on to call the odds of the planet being rocky or not 50/50. Of course, it could have a moon or two.

20. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Another article about the high-gravity planet made a reference to Larry Niven's Known Space and Jinx. There needs to be some kind of annual award for evoking Niven in a mainstream media astronomy article. It ought to happen a lot more often.

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Arthur Clarke said Niven was his favorite author. I had experience hard scifi before but Protector kicked it into high gear. I had never heard of Ringworld until then and I have always been glad I read Protector before Ringworld. Also, Niven leads to Pournelle which leads to his science article collections on space exploration(mixed with some fiction).

22. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I read Ringworld first then had to scramble to read every single novel/short story about Known Space after the fact. But I had exactly the same experience with Pournelle, who rocks.

23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Pournelle and Niven have a great article about how Hawking essentially made them non religious deists. It had to do with black holes and the singularity and how they might work. Essentially, the singularity must over time emit not only anything but everything given that what they emit is random and must over great lengths of time give birth to, say, the cthulhu. I will say this, there are only so many possible configurations of atoms in our Universe. If none of them contain God or Lucifer or whatever then those things are still not emitable by anything including black holes. It is of course possible my understanding is off. Regardless, Pournelle is not an atheist.

24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Nobody's perfect.

25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    The Future

This web site is all about space exploration. I look on it and this article with some hope concerning genetic engineering and extending my life. I hope to live long enough to experience space exploration.