main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC BBC sex abuse scandal

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I watched some of that. The guy was basically clueless. He'd get my no-confidence vote if I worked for the BBC.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That seems rather harsh - I don't see what Gordon Ramsay has to do with this scandal.

Darth Guy likes this.
  4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Never understood why he was so popular - I always thought he seemed creepy.

5. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I highly recommend anyone to watch Louis Theroux's documentary on Jimmy Savile. Weird stuff.
    Here's a clip:

6. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    BBC have really ballsed this whole thing up. if they had run with the Newsnight story when they had the chance, it would have absolved themselves slightly, because it would have been them who revealed the scoop. Now it just looks like they've attempted to cover it up and handed ITV a massive victory.

7. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    This isn't a BBC sex abuse scandal, this is a Jimmy Saville sex abuse scandal.

Mustafar_66 and darthhelinith like this.
  8. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Rather than interrogating the current BBC head, wouldn't it have made more sense to interrogate those who were Saville's superiors at the time? This alleged scandal dates back 20 or more years, after all.

9. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    It would, but the story seems to be moving beyond Saville's actions now. That's where the focus should lie, but ultimately much of the press and some of the establishment are using the story as a way to attack the BBC. One day, these constant attacks on the BBC will tell and it will crumble... and we will have lost something incredibly precious.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Well, the new Head of the BBC who testified didn't help things. I know he's new in the job but he's not new in the corporation. If that's the best candidate they could find for the job then I don't hold out a lot of hope for the corporation.

11. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    When did he join the BBC? Is he a trained investigator? When did the Police give the go-ahead for a BBC investigation to commence?

There have been allegations about JS carrying on in various hospitals too, when is the NHS Head due before this Committtee?

Were any reports made to Police at the time, if so what was done about them, if not, why not?

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  13. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I expect they'll find another honour for him now.

14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    BBC News is reporting that Gary Glitter was picked up this morning for questioning. Given that he has been imprisoned before for child sex offenses, I guess it was inevitable.

Story

15. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    From Wiki;
    and;

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, I saw that on MSN. How many more I connected to this, I wonder.

17. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    This is what I've been wondering. If people at the BBC were getting groped by high profile presenters at the corporation then why not go to the police or to the press? If they did and they did nothing, then that's a far bigger scandal. Same with those that Saville is alleged to have raped. I don't for one minute believed that not one of them went to a tabloid newspaper to tell them of what happened. It's not like there haven't been rumours about him for decades. Why did they do nothing? Why is it that the BBC is being used as a scapegoat?

As someone quite rightly pointed out on Twitter, it wasn't that the BBC was a sexist organisation in the 70's. The 70's was a sexist decade.

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005