main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT All things about Jake Lloyd (Consolidated Thread)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by qui-gon-kim, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Hayden christensen is 1000x better than Jake lloyd. I hope they don't do anakin's ghost in Jedi as young anakin from TPM next. Mannequin skywalker was something from clerks movies.

2. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I don't think its fair to say that he or his parents "should have thought about it more" before allowing him to be cast. Every one of us here would love to be in a Star Wars movie, especially in a role that big.
    Also, they had NO idea how much hate would spawn from the prequels. As far as they knew, everyone loved Star Wars and this would be film of the decade. And Jake's career would have soared if it had been received as well as the OT.
    All the blame lies with the fanboy haters and RLM for ruining a child's life!

Red23 likes this.
  3. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    And oh my GOD I want that six hour cut!!!!!

4. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Didn't this turn out to be a load of horse$#!!?

5. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    IMHO there's nothing wrong with Jake Lloyd's performance. Not every child actor can be a Haley Joel Osment just as not every adult actor can be a Alec Guiness. Nonetheless, Lloyd managed to convey a wide range of emotions in a mostly convincing manner. Simply put, he did a good job with what he was given. The problem is the script and directing. Many of the adult Star Wars actors have admitted to finding Lucas's dialogue difficult to say convincingly and it must have been doubly hard for a 10 year old. I seriously doubt that there are many kids who could have yelled "yippee" and asked "what are midi-chlorians?" etc with much more success than Lloyd. Also, I believe the fact that Lucas didn't write any darkness or edginess into the character is what has been at the core of many of the criticisms that are misdirected at Jake Lloyd.

6. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Who thinks haley joel osment would have been a good young anakin actor?:D

7. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Me!

8. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Yeah. But how old was he the time that TPM was being filmed?

9. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    And anyone who thinks Jake Loyd was terrible - just imagine if it had been that kid from Two & A Half Men! :p

10. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Older than Jake I believe

11. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Yeah. Hayley joel osment kinda looks like hayden christensen too. Younger actor, older actor, played older and younger versions of a character.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  12. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Jake lloyd seemed so childlike and innocent and sweet! I liked him as young anakin.

13. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    Bet you any money 40 years from now he's going to have thousands of fans who grew up on the Prequels be telling him how awesome he was in TPM and asking him for autographs!

14. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
  15. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    Agreed. I really cannot understand the hatred towards him. I've tried looking at this objectively instead of a Star Wars fanatic and AS a Star Wars fanatic and I think he did an EXCELLENT job. Sure, there were a couple of lines that were WRITTEN poorly for him, but only a couple. I think he delivered his lines very well and I will defend his performance until the day I die.

I'm very sorry that Star Wars made his life a living hell. Kids can be very mean. I hope he's doing well.

16. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Yeah same here. He did his best and it wasn't all his fault. & so what if he wasn't perfect since who is, am I right?

17. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I really can't say I blame Jake for looking back at the Star Wars experience with some bitterness. Here's a young child who is most likely at the time was a big Star Wars fan like us. One day, he's told that not only would be be IN a Star Wars movie but he would play Luke Skywalker's Father as a young child. That really is every child's Christmas rolled into one. Then, once he's on set, he experiences the industry for all its good and bad points to which his spectacles become less rose tinted.

In a way he kind of becomes the Bart Simpson "i didn't do it boy" where his friends at School see him as a hero for a particular moment or line spoken in the film, but for Jake, after long hours on set and having to endure long waits between takes, then novelty has worn off. From 1997/1998 and onwards, he has people constantly reminding him of his time in Star Wars, feedback that is both good and bad, internet memes, comedy sketches and sadly, some Star Wars fans who hated him.

I'm sure Lucasfilm did a great job of taking care of him and at the time he definitely would have enjoyed it. But in the end, from what I can tell he was just exhausted of it by his mid teens. This is typical of many, though not all, child stars like Macaulay Culkin, Danny Bonaduce, Dana Plato and Michael Jackson where the constant pressure and exposure to fame on an extreme level can fatigue their passion for the work they do or be detrimental to their lifestyles.

So when Jake expresses his candid views of Star Wars, despite living a childhood dream and there being some amazing positive moments during that period, like any sugar fix, it wears off.

18. SaberJedi2

Apr 5, 2007
    I've heard him saying that high school was like a "prison". I don't want to imagine the ridicule he experienced in high school because of this role.

The thing is, he was around 8 or 9 when the Phantom Menace was filmed? I'm sure he remembers some of the filming, but because it was at such a young age, how much could he actually remember of the shoot?

19. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I'd imagine a significant portion of it, i'd be surprised if he couldn't remember all of it. This was a life changing moment for him alongside being a childhood dream being realised. I remember most of my childhood, but I don't drink :D

20. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    He shouldn't have been a kid, if anything. TPM through ROTS should have had him as a teenager all the way.

21. SaberJedi2

Apr 5, 2007
    I have to disagree with that. Since George called Star Wars the tragedy of Darth Vader, I think we needed to see Anakin go from an innocent, altruistic child into the menace of the OT. I'm happy we saw the different stages of his life and how the story originated. I think Jake Lloyd played into that innocence extremely well, but he also made it believable that Anakin was somehow more advanced or that there was something special about him.

22. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Me and my daughter meet him at Dragon Con a few years ago. He was a ass. My daughter was about 8 then and a big fan. I bought her a 8x10 to sign. He just signed. No eye contact with her. Just his name on it. Didnt even say hi. I asked if she could get a picture with him like most do and he said "no not at all". If their was a line or a time thing I understand. But there was no one waiting. He looked put off being there. And come on its a 8 year old girl with a broke leg. Came only to see him. 1 picture! I would have even paid. I took one Pic as he was signing her picture but I got a talking to with his PR or whoever. He was a total ass. That same time we meet Ray Park who signed her pic, her leg cast with out us asking and took a picture with her (and his PR took one for them to have).

markdeez likes this.
  23. MagicSpork

MagicSpork Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2004
    I sense much anger in this one...

24. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Forza Ray Park!

When was that, anyway? I'm seeing some patterns emerging about the troubled adolescence of little Ani...

(Which is maybe how you should have farewelled him, in the most high-pitched Jar-Jar impression of all time)

I still feel sorry for the poor bastard. Totally different situation to the typical 'child star'. He never became a star. He got his big break, it led to nothing but being the brunt of fanboy hatred and relentless mockery from his peers. Other child stars would, no doubt, cop a bit of stick here & there, but nowhere near as much, for anywhere near as long, and they had a bit of a career afterwards.

25. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    His parents should have done something about it, like finding a private school where such things are not allowed or even homeschooling. Surely they got enough money from Lucasfilm to afford it?