main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What does the Prophecy mean by Balance?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by IG-85, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I don't agree with Vader's killing folks because they disagree with him or let him down. He makes middle management look good - they only fire people, not kill them.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  2. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Yes, my name is Adolf Hitler. I tried to exterminate every Jew from the face of the earth, but one of them got mad that I had killed his entire family and denounced his faith! So he tried to punch me! Obviously, I did not murder him, instead simply defending myself, because he attacked me! That was rude!

Valairy Scot likes this.
  3. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Were there other reasons the Jedi and Sith had conflict?

4. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    The empire was evil in star wars because of political reasons. The movies said it. It couldn't be more clear than that.

5. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Yeah. Each wanted to be the sect with only four letters in the sect's name. Then, of course, the Sith were jealous that Jedi came alphabetically before Sith. Stupid playground jealousies.

6. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I had a theory that Vader was a dark jedi, not a sith.

7. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Nah, that was only a stage he went through. Jedi to dark Jedi to Sith.

8. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    He wanted both Luke and Leia to turn to the darkside and rule the galaxy with him, going against the rule of two, making him not a sith, but more of a dark jedi. Is that theory correct?

9. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010

The Jedi is a religious order. So is the Sith. Their teachings completely contradict each other, and, as these organizations are both militant and powerful, it's only logical that they would oppose each other. What more explanation do you need? Ask and ye shall receive, but try to read the study guide first.

10. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    It's been explicitly stated that he was Sith. IN THE MOVIES. WHICH YOU CLAIM TO HAVE WATCHED. Also, he had a "Darth" in his name. Not all Sith have Darth in their names, but a Dark Jedi certainly wouldn't.

11. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    The Jedi went to arrest Palpatine because he was a different religion than they were. How is that good? How are they guardians of truth and justice? Sounds like corrupt medieval knights to me.

12. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    The Jedi didn't want him to rule simply because he was a sith and used dark-superpowers. He already had too much power beforehand, but they didn't care, until they found out he was a Sith.

13. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Because one religion is about helping people. One is about enslaving, crushing and killing them. It's a good thing to get rid of evil!
    When you reference medieval knights, you mean Crusaders vs. Muslims, right? Obstensibly, the Christian and Muslim religions are both about good.

14. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    And also because he was EVIL. Do you understand what EVIL means? It is not good.

15. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I was not referencing anything specific historical event like that. I thought, that, the Jedi being like space knights, I could make a reference to their historical counterparts. I don't know that much about medieval history. It was just a reference.

16. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    The Jedi had no moral or legal authority to act before Palpatine revealed himself to be the man behind the mask who orchestrated the war against his own citizens. They didn't like his power before then, but had no reason to oppose him until he subverted the Republic's constitution. Then, as guardians of said Republic, they attempted to carry out their duty.

The alternative was to throw up their hands and go to another galaxy.

17. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    They have different philsophies on the Force. Vader promised Luke to save the rebel alliance friends if he turned to the darkside. Luke could have turned to the darkside, saved his friends, and then turned against the emperor. I'm sure the rebel alliance would have no problem with a dark-side force user on their side, as long as he was on their side. They didn't believe in the Force anyway. Why would they care, if a darksider was on their side? Luke could have turned to the darkside and still be on the rebel alliance's side, the good guys of the story.

Luke didn't turn to the darkside because it went against the philosophy of the Jedi, not because it had anything to do with the empire or the rebels. When yoda told anakin not to turn to the darkside, it was because of their philosophy.

18. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    With the yoda reference, it was about him telling anakin to let go of fear of loss, a scene from ROTS.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That's why they say things like "May the Force be with you".

20. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    If Luke had turned "dark" he probably would have seized the throne for himself and had Han and everyone killed because they had become the other side. I don't think the Rebels would have accepted this as necessary to rid themselves of Palpatine.

21. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    If Luke turned darkside, what would have happened? Even more interesting. If luke became ruler of the galaxy, why would that be bad?

Suppose Luke turns to the darkside, but is still loyal to the rebel alliance. A darkside-force user/Sith working against the empire, on the rebel's side. A good sith. Would the rebels accept him that way? As a sith who agrees to help them out?

22. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    VADER WAS LYING.
    And the thing about turning to the dark side to save friends, learn stuff and destroy the bad guys from the inside, etc., usually does not work except in extreme cases (EU! Learn about what you argue before arguing it). Never underestimate the dark side. You think you can game the system, but it almost never works out.

23. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    This is more appropriate for fanfiction, or a questions thread.

24. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What do you mean? Are you saying that if luke turned to the darkside, he couldn't stay with the rebels? Why not? I think he could maintain loyalties.

25. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Good idea! Never thought of that until now. Thx!