main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What does the Prophecy mean by Balance?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by IG-85, Sep 15, 2011.

1. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Again, this notion gets into the heads of many and rarely works. Ulic Qel-Droma famously fails. Cade Skywalker only got out of it because he has a very unique relationship with the Force and absolutely shuns power and attention. Relin Druur is the only light-sider I can think of who rationally used the dark side for good, and that happened in a book which presented several non-traditional Force philosophies, so the book was already alt. And Relin Druur died before he could be corrupted by the dark side.

2. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    How does that respond to my idea about Luke turning to the darkside? I don't get it. Are you implying there were good darkside users and sith in the expanded universe?

3. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    SPOILERS
    There was one good darkside user for about one minute before he died. He was a Jedi master, unlike Cade or Qel-Droma, not famous and exceptional, quite average really. He wanted to destroy a Sith fleet that had appeared in the NJO-era from a wormhole they came through from the past. As I mentioned, not particularly powerful, but very noble. Relin Druur could not get enough power from the light side so he gave in to the dark side and used that power (rationally and altruistically) to destroy the Sith fleet, and himself in the process.
    Ulic Qel-Droma wanted to infiltrate a dark side organization from the inside but ended up truly falling. Was eventually redeemed, but at great cost - his connection to the Force is severed in the process.
    Cade Skyalker has an extremely unique relationship with the Force. Not a conventional Jedi or Sith, he uses the Force as necessary. He dances on both sides. Many are interested in him because for some weird reason, Cade is not tempted by the dark. Cade pretends to join the Sith so his friends will be set free, but his master and her master can sense his deception. Said friends bust Cade out within weeks.
    Generally, using the dark side, even to advance good, does not end well.

4. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    But, if luke turned to the darkside in episode 6, would the rebels accept him, if he agreed to stay on their side? Why was that dangerous?

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Yes, he could have, with an iron fist (around their throats). But the Rebels are rather single-minded; they would have tossed Luke out on his keister.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  6. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    You do not use the dark side; the dark side uses you.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  7. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    It is dangerous because chances are, it would not have worked and he really would have fallen to evil, maintained the Empire and hurt his friends. This is a common mistake made by Jedi - they think they can beat the dark side at its own game. It does not work.

Lord Tyrannus, what is your age?

8. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    The rebels wouldn't kick out Luke just because he was a darksider. They wouldn't care, as long as he was on their side and was a good guy.

9. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Good guy =/= dark sider.

Repeat after me. Darksider is bad.*

* Jedi propaganda, believed by rebels as well.

10. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Considering that the Jedi Council harbored plans to take control of the Senate if Palpatine did not stand down after the capture/death of General Grievious, I don't know if I can agree that the Jedi didn't care about getting rid of Palpatine before discovering that he was a Sith.

11. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Yes, but they were biased against sith.