main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul Conspiracy Theory (Mortis Tie-In)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Anakin Starkiller, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 1999
    A cursory search of the Forums did not bring me any results with this line of thought, so I thought I would bring it up. If it has been brought up before, my apologies.

I think Darth Maul died on Naboo, cut in half and plummeted into a bottomless pit. The creature who is claiming to be Darth Maul is actually a simulacrum of the shape-shifting Dark Side Anchorite, The Son.

During the Mortis Trilogy, first the Daughter, then the Father are killed by the dagger, ending them. The Son had been getting some of his sustenance from the Father, and was weakened by the Father's death. But the blow to finish the Son was not the dagger, but Anakin's Lightsaber. The actual cut is not shown in season 3 but implied. We don't know if he beheaded him or cut him in half or simply placed a cut in his chest through his heart. We did not see. What we do know, is that the dagger was not used for the coup de grace.

When Ahsoka was imprisoned by the Son she is greeted by the son in the guise of a small creature, when he releases Ahsoka from her bonds, he says something along the lines of "the chains, the chains are the easy part, what's hard is what goes on in here". When Savage Opress finds the insane Maul, Maul says the same line (and is voiced by the same actor!).

When Maul is restored by Mother Talzin, one of his first comments is that the Force is out of Balance. The Balance of the Force being the main thrust of the Mortis Trilogy. I think this was deliberate on the parts of the writers to make a call back to the central issue of the Mortis episodes.

On the season 3 DVD set special feature about Mortis we are promised that this is not the last we will hear from them on the topic. I believe it is the Son as Maul that is the maker's making good on that promise.

2. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I had the same thought, but there's only a little bit of evidence to back up this theory, mainly, Maul's use of the "chains" line, which could just as easily be explained by the line in question being a quote from some sort of Dark Side writing or creed.

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    IIRC: Sam covered this in an interview, basically saying that the son embodies the dark side and he's a little bit of Sidious, of Vader, Maul etc.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    While I agree it's unlikely, I do like your line of thought, Anakin Starkiller. It would placate some of the resistance surrounding the Maul issue, and give Mortis some sense of purpose in the series. Plus, it's a plot twist. This series is in desperate need of a good plot twist at this point.

Seerow and Valairy Scot like this.
  5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I like this idea, in fact its the only way I could ever accept this ridiculous scenario they have concocted, if I could actually accept TCW in the first place. As everyone else is saying, this is unlikely, because it's quite clear that LFL is committed to an actual return of Darth Maul.

6. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Was in Walmart last weekend looking @ cheap paint for a shed and the section was directly across from Toys... It was almost nauseating, there was soo much Maul. I'm just glad they cleaned his teeth for the show.

7. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    And they aren't getting a dime out of me with the TCW brand.

8. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    That's the thing Zeta1127 Maul was on every single package that I saw on the display... TCW-related, or not. I've joked about the Maul marketing before, had seen some packing in various stores... but what I saw this weekend was ridiculous.

9. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I saw the same thing. I don't care what anyone says, Darth Maul's face on a package for an X-Wing toy is objectively wrong!

10. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Ah, I haven't bought a Star Wars toy in a very long time, long before TCW was a twinkle in George Lucas' eye, so I wouldn't know about that, but I completely agree, the constant and incessant use of Darth Maul as a marketing tool is wrong.

11. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Some of the toys have Maul, some have Rex. I don't collect the toys or anything, I just remember someone posting an article on these forums from Kenner or whoever makes the toys that said that Maul was like the poster-boy for the Star Wars line of toys this year. Are the ones with Rex last years' or something?

12. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Though funny enough, some of the Star Wars toys I do have, namely the Episode I CommTech figures, have Darth Maul on the package, but there was a very good reason for that, TPM is where he belongs.

13. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    It sure doesn't sound right.:p

Zeta1127 likes this.
  14. CoraxRD

CoraxRD Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2012
    I like this theory and I believe there is a connection, but I don't think Maul 2.0 is the Son. I do believe his resurrection was influenced by the events on/in Mortis though.

Erkan12 likes this.
  15. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Darth Plagueis made the Force unbalanced.

16. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    The connection between Mortis and the "temporal world" is iffy as to its extent and if it really exists. For instance, when the Son gets the upper hand on Mortis, the Father warns that the Sith will get the upper hand in the temporal world as a result. Mortis makes it sound as though the trio has been on Mortis for at least a couple thousand years, and that only now is the balance starting to shift due to the Father dying, yet what has happened in the temporal world has swung back and forth between Jedi and Sith independently of whatever was happening on Mortis, unless the Father's control had slipped before, or if the Sith at one time coming close to conquering the galaxy was the result of the Son throwing a temper tantrum :p

The only way that makes sense to me is that there isn't a link as was said. I mean Mortis itself was destroyed along with both the Son and Daughter. If Daughter dying was such a big deal that would give the Sith the upper hand (which they already seemed to have), then the destuction of the entire planet seems like it would have huge consequences, but instead things just continue on as normal with the Citadel arc and beyond. Unless there is a sequel arc to the events of Mortis - which there seems to be some debate over - it just seems like Mortis didn't really affect anything beside maybe getting Anakin to believe that he's special, which in itself hasn't really had any kind of consequence in subsequent episodes as far as I can tell.

Seerow likes this.
  17. CoraxRD

CoraxRD Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2012
    Well according to FotJ: Apocalypse the events of the Mortis trilogy did happen. In fact ten knights were sent off by Luke to find the Mortis dagger. But naturally the problem that lays with tying the EU to The Clone Wars is that all of that can change.

For instance, in referring to seeing more about Mortis are they talking about in the show or in FotJ? Are they referring to Darth Maul's return? Especially with the involvement of Mother Talzin. When you couple her involvement with Maul and the chapter from the Book of the Sith it is obvious that the Nightsisters Had some serious connections to the animal versions of the Son and Daughter.

18. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    @Anakin Starkiller
    I posted this idea in the Mortis thread a few months ago, so I agree with you that it really makes sense to have Son's shenanigans accidentally bring Maul back.

But on the other hand DF said that Mortis is 'like Luke's cave vision in ESB but longer' and we know that the Force was unbalanced by Darth Plaguies and Sidious as Slowpokeking pointed out, not Son killing Daughter

19. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Could be a two way street: Plagueis imbalances the Force in the temporal world, the Son is strengthened on Mortis. The Son kills the Daughter on Mortis, the Sith grow stronger. Though if Mortis is like the tree, then Son and Daughter could just be manifestations of the Force due to the planet's unique properties as a conduit (Obi-Wan says the planet is the Force, and Qui-Gon can manifest himself there), and therefore they as manifestations of the Force could just be a reflection of what's happening in the temporal world. E.G. The Sith are becoming powerful and the Jedi are blind, so Daughter dies to mirror that.

Father warns that since things have become imbalanced on Mortis, then so to will they become imbalanced in the temporal world, though that doesn't mean that Son killing Daughter was the cause, Son killing Daughter could be the effect and if Father is using the relationship of his Children as a window into the temporal world, then perhaps he simply deduces that because Son is strong that something bad must be happening in the temporal world.

Of course that's more complex fanon that's probably more akin to what the EU would do as opposed to Lucas and Filoni.

Darthgoodguy and Seerow like this.
  20. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    This.

Mortis, schwartzis.

Inblackestnight likes this.
  21. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 1999
    I see your schwartz is as big as mine!

The tale of Darth Tenebrous and Darth Plagueis causing the imbalance I think was more of the start of a process to further unbalance the Force. I believe the Force was out of balance before that, when the prophecy of the Chosen One was first created. If the Force was already in balance in the time of the Prophecy, it would make no sense. Jedi at the time would just say, "what do you mean, 'bring balance to the Force'? the Force is already balanced!"

22. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    The point in time that I was talking about is after Plagueis & Sidious did their Sith-in-harmony thing... that unnatural act spurred the Muun into trying the impossible. When Plagueis reached out within the stream to touch all life... that act imbalanced the force... and it remained that way until AnaVader gave Palp's the shaft.

23. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Having the Son return as Darth Maul *is* a very interesting idea. As Maul he's basically gathering all the crime syndicates and warlords together to gain momentum, all the while breaking the Jedi' morale by seeming invincible, thus tipping the balance towards darkness.

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    How can Maul be the Son, when the Son died and how would he have gotten off Mortis without a ship

25. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Plus why would the Son have a vendetta against revenge on Obi-Wan? He's done nothing to him. So, no the Son being Maul is not possible in that sense either. It would be Anakin he was after.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.