main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT "'I'll never return to this planet again"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Sep 21, 2011.

1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Did Lucas know, you tihnk, that Luke would return to his home planet? Also loved the line about Jedi came out

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I think that Lucas probably had a vague idea that he'd like to have the story visit Tatooine again in the future. But he also was of course basing that on not knowing yet whether he'd get to make those future movies, before seeing if Star Wars (ANH) was going to be successful or not.

I always liked the ironic similarities between:
    ANH
    Obi-Wan: You'll have to sell your speeder.
    Luke: That's okay. I'm never coming back to this planet again.

and

ROTJ
    Luke: There's nothing to see. I used to live here, you know.
    Han: You're gonna die here, you know. Convenient.

3. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004
    I can't say if Lucas knew (but he probably had a feeling that Luke's adventures would bring him back and that Luke was being naive by saying this), but I would guess that Lucas didn't have ESB and ROTJ mapped out in enough detail yet to have planned the return to Tatooine and Jabba's Palace and so forth.

"I'll never return to this planet again" works either way (whether or not Luke ever comes back), but of course it's better with the irony of knowing where ROTJ takes things.

4. Boom_Pow

Boom_Pow Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2009
    I don't think knowing whether or not the story would take them back there would impact the dialogue. Luke couldn't wait to get out of there and when his family was killed, he couldn't imagine any reason he would "want" to come back. In Jedi, he certainly wasn't there on a pleasure cruise, he had to rescue a friend.

5. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003

I believe that's called Dramatic Irony.

6. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Luke Skywalker was so relieved to be leaving Tatooine that he didn't care under what circumstances that he would be leaving. If Han never had bad business with Jabba The Hutt, and if Boba Fett didn't take him there, then Luke would have still never returned to Tatooine.

7. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Luke, leia, and han lived on Endor for the rest of their lives. But that's just my theory. Maybe the expanded universe has info on this.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And Luke has returned how many times in the EU? several times? It's sort of like after you graduate High School. You want to leave and never come back but you end up coming home anyway

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  9. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    At the time he said it, I'm pretty sure he was not planning to ever go back. Of course, it's good that he did, else he would never have found Kenobi's notes on lightsaber construction.

Anikin never planned to return, either, after Shmi died. But he ended up returning as well, even though he never went down to the surface. It really annoyed him, hence his show of rage aboard the Tantive IV. He slaughtered everyone on board except Leia.

10. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Hardly intentional, but there's actually a couple of lines in the 1981 SW Radio Drama which have an eerie resonance:

jedimikey and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  11. jedimikey

Oct 21, 2012
    Wicked! :)

12. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Anakin didn't choke antilles on the tantine iv because he was angry at the sandpeople from episode 2. Huh?

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Prove that he wasn't.

14. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What evidence is there he was. I love the opening of a new hope. It shows anakin, now darth vader, first meeting his daughter and visiting a planet with childhood memories. Underneath his face is an older, burned, pale bald, hayden christensen. We now know what that face in ESB and ROTJ looked like! Watching the originals is 100x better now that we have the prequels. Leia was also above her father's homeplanet at that point.

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Read The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader by Ryder Windham. That gives some insight to Vader at the start of ANH

16. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    But that's a different canon than the films. Otherwise, I've read part of it, and it's awesome so far!

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    It's a biography of Vader set during the movies. So why shouldn't it be counted?

18. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Lord Tyranus: Just because you do not count the EU as canon does not mean you can refute it when it's another person's opinion. I have warned you repeatedly. This is your final warning. Do it again and I am going to ban you.

19. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Lord Tyrannus, I'm not sure there's "different canons" as you put it. There's different LEVELS of canon, which means that certain things (movies - top rank) outrank other canon in case of conflict, but all is canon. Officially.

Personally, you are free to accept bits and pieces as your own personal canon and discard the rest.

In our discussions on the boards, here in MOVIES the movies of course take precedence, but EU can be used to illustrate your point (not invalidate anything IN the movies). Personally, I detest a lot of EU but I accept a lot as well. I'm not upset that TCW (the TV show) overwrites some of EU because most of that EU I personally don't care for. But unless a higher LEVEL of canon disqualifies something prior, it is valid to cite the EU to support a position.

I'm not an expert on the canon levels; any discussion of that is best elsewhere on the boards.

DarthBoba and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  20. jedimikey

Oct 21, 2012
    Ah. I've been wondering about this. Thanks for clearing it up for me, Darth Boba and Master Scot. :)

21. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I think Luke probably returned there at a certain point.

22. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    No one's even called me "Master" before this...:)

23. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    You're welcome.