main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Future of the Star Wars Saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Ernesto1035, Oct 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Yes. Absolutely.

2. Ernesto1035

Ernesto1035 Jedi Padawan

Oct 16, 2012
    • A portion of an interview with Lucas in the August 2005 issue of Starlog:

STARLOG: "The Star Wars Universe is so large and diverse. Do you ever find yourself confused by the subsidiary material that's in the novels, comics, and other offshoots?"
    LUCAS: "I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions."

• Leland Chee, who maintains continuity within Lucas Licensing, commented on Lucas' interview with Starlog

CHEE: "GL is certainly not bound by the EU, though he's certainly open to using things created in it (Aayla Secura and the Coruscant name, for example). On the other hand, the quote you provide makes it sound like the EU is separate from George's vision of the Star Wars universe. It is not. The EU must follow certain tenets set by George through the films and other guidelines that he provides outside of the films."

• Lucas answered this question asked to him during ShoWest 2008:

INTERVIEWER: "Do you think you'd have other people continue the Star Wars saga past Episode VI or turn some of the other material into films?"
    LUCAS: "But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books. But there's three worlds: There's my world that I made up, there's the licensing world that's the books, the comics, all that kind of stuff, the games, which is their world, and then there's the fans' world, which is also very rich in imagination, but they don't always mesh. All I'm in charge of is my world. I can't be in charge of those other people's world, because I can't keep up with it."

• A portion of the interview with Lucas featured in the May 2008 edition of Total Film:

TOTAL FILM: "Are you happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after you're gone?"
    LUCAS: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married...

I think George was pretty clear on the subject. He acknowledges the world that has been created in the EU, but at the same time definitively states that it does not reflect his vision of the story of the Star Wars saga. Thus, the EU is not part of the highest level in the canon hierarchy of the Star Wars continuity, which consists of the soley the most recent releases of the six episodes as well as any statements or anything coming from George Lucas. After that is the television shows and The Clone Wars feature film. Then comes things like the books and games and such.

whostheBossk likes this.
  3. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    So, is the EU canon or not? I guess it's non-canon, due to the post above. But others say it's canon.

It's definitley canon to its own universe, like the spiderman reboot films, both tobey and andrew films are canon, but different stories. Is the EU Like that? Or is the EU and movies the same universe, same canon?

4. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I'm gonna have a little fun descending to your level here :D

No, it doesn't

Yup, they were

This "natural move" thing is just hilariously ridiculous! I don't remember the Spartans becoming hippies! Also, their culture was NOT self-destructive, but very lucrative.

I really have no idea what you're talking about here, and I know a lot about the Mandos.

Now I do know that there isn't anything I can do about it, and that Lucus owns Star Wars and can change it as he pleases, I'm just stating why I didn't like this one change.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  5. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Is the expanded universe canon? It describes the galactic empire committing atrocities, which is definitely canon. Are you saying the empire isn't evil? The EU is canon. I love the stories of Luke being a jedi master, leia becomes a jedi, the new republic, the new jedi order, the solo twins, mara jade, cloned emperor.

6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    The Expanded Universe is the same as the EU. It is canon unless contradicted by the movies or GL, so assume it is until told otherwise. Some of it has already been "de-canonized" by GL and TCW, so don't get terribly attached to a lot of the EU. Some of the EU is worse than the prequel bashers insist the PT is. There is an EU board around here, I think to delve into deeper discussions.

7. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Are the stories where the empire enslaved the wookies and mon calamari canon? What about the post ROTJ stories?

8. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    As those stories are part of the EU - all of them as far as I know - yes, they are canon unless GL says they're not.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  9. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    By canon, do you mean canon, as in, canon to the movie's storyline, or canon in their own sepreate canon? Like how the sam raimi and marc webb films are both canon, but different universes and storylines of spiderman.

Also, which ones did Lucas said weren't canon?

Why didn't the movies mention Sith (or empire ruled by sith, in the original trilogy, vader and emperor), oppressing the aliens/non human species, in the galaxy?

10. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    It's all canon. Lucas hasn't declared anything non-canon.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  11. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    And, once again, stop trying to start continuity debates.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN and Ernesto1035 like this.
  12. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Ok.

13. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    EU is canon unless explicitly stated otherwise. Just because George Lucas has not made a movie about something does not mean it didn't happen. What you brought up about superhero movies is an interesting point that I have also thought about, but the Star Wars universe is not to be treated as the universe of superhero franchises. Superhero movies, such as The Dark Knight, The Amazing Spider-Man, The Avengers, Captain America: The First Avenger, etc. are non-canon, subordinate to what happens in comics because these movies are all based off of comics. In Star Wars, the highest level of canon is the movies because the movies are what everything else is based off of. But remember, just because Lucas has not devoted a movie to something DOES NOT MEAN IT DID NOT HAPPEN.

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    How?

No, they weren't. Watch the episodes again or expand your answer.

Stewart's fallacy? You'll have to do better than that.

Bad strawman and wrong comparison. First, neither the Spartans nor the Mandalorians became hippies. Second, Spartans didn't found themselves in the same situation that Mandalore did.

A culture that searches for war is not self-destructive?

Apparently not enough. Vagabounds with customized armor who served as mercenaries and bounty hunters? That's Boba Fett right there.

What change? The change (or should I say addition?) that at one time there was a pacifist faction ruling Mandalore? Well, you are free to not like that. Nobody is arguing otherwise.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  15. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Reasons I wanna see the saga remade!

I wanna see how Palpatine & Dookus relationship began.
    Id like to see how the clone army was ordered
    Id like to know how Boba went from lil boy to Bounty Hunter
    How did Tarkin get recruited & what's his relationship with Anakin.
    Id like to see Owen & Obiwan relationship
    I wanna see Tarkin & Bail Organas relationship
    I don't want to see these things in novels, spinoff shows or anyother EU stuff, These are things that should be fleshed out if the story is ever told again.

16. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    While interesting to see, most of that is not necessary to the story.

17. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    So true. The movies are about the Story of Anakin Skywalker. The EU is really the better place for that. And while I dislike significant parts of the EU, there are also some excellent parts, and why can't these stories be done just as well EU-style as in a movie?

18. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    The version we have now revolves around anakin sure, you must admit there is curiosity for othe character & how they relate to the complete story. I just find myself wondering why & how things occur in the movies. The creation of the clones & Deathstar just happened but we never see the other poits of view. Even Pter Jackson retold the story of the hobbits & middle earth, and there are other adaptions of the story. Don't get me wrong some of the novels & video games are really good, but the meat & potatoes is the Saga. Meaning all six films not this OT vs PT business. Id just like to see another adaption of The Saga & flesh out some of the back stories. They did the Omnibus comic & Lego StarWars Saga, but id love a novel that covered the complete saga. That's what would be cool to me. Id rather see the old story done again from a different angle than to see a new story.

19. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, CoolyFett, I am exactly the type of person who LOVES unseen moments and all - heck, that's what makes me write fanfic to cover those moments, but in this case, I disagree that we need to see all that.

Well, SOME of us could sit through 6hr versions of the movies, but most won't/can't.

20. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I have no issue with the EU, Id like to see a show based on the time between ANH & ESB in the same style as Clone Wars show. Would fans be interested in a show like that? I'm not against EU, I just like the saga & the stories involed in it.

21. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I couldn't agree with you more. ^:)^. Tarkin had such a minor role in the prequels. He had that creepy modern looking soldier uniform and that creepy face. Do you know what would be awesome? Young darth vader, before the robot suit, hayden christensen voice and face, yellow eyes, communicating with Tarkin, like cyborg vader did in the OT. Maybe on mustafar, or the jedi temple, or somewhere else, maybe even a hologram. Wouldn't that be awesome? When i write fanfic, that's gonna happen. But he shouldn't be overused in the prequels. Anyway, what happened to tarkin? Why did he just dissapear? Where was he in episodes 5 and 6? Did he just leave the empire?

What do you mean by owen and obi wan relationship? In the ROTJ book, they were brothers, but Lucas changed the story to make him anakin's step brother, not obi wan's full brother. He changed the story. I think it could be cool either way.

Tarkin and bail organa! Cool! Tarkin was responsible for alderaan's destruction, and bail organa was there. So it would be wierd and creepy to see them talk to each other.

I don't get how Palpatine controlled the army, so I agree with you that the movies should have explained how he did that. It was crucial to the plot. It was how he rose to power.

Tarkin just appeared out of nowhere in the prequels, so yeah, it made no sense.

22. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Many fans would be interested. It is unlikely that this will happen.

23. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Tarkin blew up with the Death Star.
    And lots of people just appeared out of nowhere.

whostheBossk likes this.
  24. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Where was Tarkin in TPM, AOTC, and most of ROTS? What was he doing then?

How do you know he died on the death star? Maybe he lived. How many people died on the first death star? Why wouldn't the rebels let them escape?

25. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    It's very difficult to invade a huge space station, evacuate thousands of your enemies without getting killed, and then dropping explosives into a power core.
    It has been canonically confirmed that Tarkin died. Didn't you see the movie? Didn't you see him being all "Ima destroy the Rebels" on the Death Star? Didn't you see the explosion seconds later?
    Tarkin was previously involved in the Galactic Republic - as was Vader, Palpatine, etc.
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wilhuff_Tarkin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.