main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi Newbie Here!!

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Rotticus, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Rotticus

Rotticus Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 21, 2012
    Ive been at this for a few days now, a little here and there between work. Maybe im slow or something but i am still learning new things everyday. Yesterday i made a mistake by posting a thread in communications when I should have posted in Collecting :p (embarrassing) hopefully I am doing this right! any experienced members amongst the forums with any tip and tricks?? help a brother out! :)

2. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Read stuff! Make friends and be nice. Find others who share your interests. And, again, read stuff. We have a variety of tags here for topics. Familiarize yourself with the boards by checking them out. Do you like comics? Do you like games? Do you like fanfic? We have specialized forums for those, and more. And, have fun! :)

BDOT likes this.
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I think I already welcomed you. :p
    I seem to remember commending how un-newbie you were. I fear we must remove that added 0 from your paycheck. Seriously, though, no problem. There is a lot to adjust to so don't sweat it if you do wacky double posting or accidentally launching a thread in a different part of the boards than you were thinking you were. To be fair, 'communications' sorta sounds like 'collecting'. And, both of those areas accomplish just about the same thing... take that, MS. While I am jesting a bit in saying that, the bottom line is that you're just getting the hang of this place, so don't worry about making a couple of rookie mistakes. Happened to the best of us. And, on top of it, some of the programming for the site is still being worked out, which is exactly what the top few active threads currently in Comms is all about. Everybody is trying to figure this nutty site out. As WGM said above, don't overthink 'how' to post and simply just get into the habit of being involved. Read threads, reply to topics, make friends, fall in love, start a family... when in Rome, just be a member of our little community. If any of us err in our posting it is easily fixed, and we get banned. Well, the last part is referring more to myself...
    I've read your posts, you're doing fine.

BDOT and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  4. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Exactly, you seem to have moved into the flow of the JCC quite nicely. And again, welcome to the boards!

BDOT likes this.
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If you run into any problems or get some anxiety for any reason you are completely welcome to PM me. I have been attempting to log in at least part of each day to help cover while Skiara is out carousing in frivolity and to make sure that [face_love] Nat [face_love] doesn't get overloaded with WNU issues so I should be on semi-frequently.

6. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    Thanks guys, happy to be a part of the community!! I appreciate all the advice. Perhaps I am over sweating the small stuff, its crazy how vast the topics are in here :p little something for everyone, right?

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Absolutely. And, as an added bonus, there will also be no shortage of self righteous know-it-alls who will make certain threads miserable to be involved in. With this many people in the same space discussing such a myriad of topics we are going to interact with every sort of personality. You'll find your place on here simply by getting involved and seeing what works for you and where your interest lies. Just be yourself and know that if you bump into any ugly situations, we've got your back.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN and BDOT like this.
  8. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    Good to know! I was somewhat afraid of the "know-it-alls" you mentioned, kind of like, "Who does this guy thinks he is, talking to me yadayada"

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Bound to interact with them. On a site this vast, there will be every degree of conversation, from really heavy political to simple goofy chatter. We have a few self-imposed thought-messiahs on here who know more than anyone else on earth about very serious topics and so they use this arcane knowledge to amass 40,000 posts on an online chat. :p They may attempt to belittle your opinion, but nobody can flame you on here, so get in on any topic you want to and know that if some conversations aren't really beneficial to be part of, there are always hundreds of other discussions going on elsewhere on here. Have fun and feel safe. Nobody can beat you up. The ones who may seem like they want to are so out of shape from living at their monitors, posting sage wisdom that even if they wanted to, you could outrun them.

BDOT likes this.
  10. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    Oh boy! Brainiacs! Im a very open minded person so heavy opinionated people dont bother me, if you cant beat em join em!

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  11. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Always remember before discussing politics or religion in JCC... Freedom of religion and political freedom are rights only in certain countries. JCC isn't a country, so hopefully you are already a Christian-hating atheist who votes liberal at all costs and you will be accepted. But, we'll call it unconditional acceptance just to make it sound nicer. Go have fun, make friends, find true e-love like Natalie & I have, post til your little heart is content, and don't get into too much trouble.

12. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    Thanks again!

13. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Welcome officially! The best way to learn your way around is to do what you're already doing: Posting. Depending on your interests, you'll find your niche (and we can give you recommendations for that). And, of course, we're always here to answer questions!

14. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    Thank you! any recommendations then??

15. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Yeah. What do you like? Find threads about what you like. Read threads - even old ones that have been inactive for years. We have something for almost everyone here, just poke your head places.

16. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    the movies, lightsabers, video games, darkside, making new friends....lando!

17. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    oh and im a bit of a collector!

18. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Community. We have games, polls, sports, random discussions ... Anything else, and you'd have to be a bit more specific about your interests. For instance, do you like the EU? Fanfic? RPF?

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.