main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What's a better title-revenge of the jedi or return of the Jedi?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Lord Tyrannus, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    What sounds better? If you were Lucas and made the films, would you have kept revenge in the title for episode 6, or not? I like Revenge of the Jedi more than Return.

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Return.

Jedi aren't supposed to indulge in vengeance.

3. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Why not? It sounds like a better way to end the saga. Revenge of the jedi. What sounds a more, epic, way, dramatic, way to end the series-Return, or Revenge?

Anakin gets his revenge at palpatine.

Return of the jedi didn't make any sense as a title. Vader wasn't redeemed. Lots of evil people and tyrants would save their children. It doesn't give vader a change of heart. Had he lived, he would become evil emperor himself.

4. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Vader wasn't redeemed

What? No. That was the whole point of everything from the moment Vader picked up Palpatine. That wasn't Darth Vader that picked him up, that was Anakin Skywalker. He ceased to be Darth Vader in that moment and was redeemed in the eyes of the Force.

Zeta1127 and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  5. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Revenge is fitting for evil people like Sith. Return is more benign. A homecoming for the Jedi. And the teachings of the Jedi say don't take revenge. Sith are all for it.
    Also, it would be weird for two films to have titles that are so similar.

6. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Yeah. Return sounds more of an epic way to end a saga. Like lotr. Return of the King.

Revenge was a perfect title for episode 3, who wants to be redundant?

Agreed.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  7. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Yeah, Return can have as much punch as Revenge. Perhaps more so.

8. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I disagree. Darth Vader for me is the guy with the deep voice and samurai helmet/mask. Anakin is darth vader w/out mask. Like in the prequels. James earl jones=darth vader. Hayden christensen=anakin skywalker.

Regardless of terminology, was anakin/vader redeemed? Nah. His son was being tortured. Lots of dictators have families that they love and care for deeply, and would protect them. True redemption is also realizing that the emperor was evil and making a concious decision not to serve him anymore. What about the younglings and other jedi? Alderaan? All the possible plants the empire would've destroyed with the death star, had the rebels not stopped them? If anakin lived, he would have continued to serve the empire as a tyrant. Not join the rebels.

Redemption is a change of heart. Vader saving Luke should have been a result of his redemption, not the redemption itself. One life (luke) versus billions and possibily trillions of people the rebels saved from the death star. Hmm.......

9. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Equally. Depends on which film it is. Agreed.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader, it's pretty clear that Vader isn't just "reacting to his son dying" he's actually having a change of heart.

In Star Wars Infinities: RoTJ- while some events are different- it still has Vader being redeemed. But because he wasn't fatally wounded, Luke & Leia rescue him- and he joins the Rebellion, offering to help hunt down the Emperor.

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Because it's not the Jedi way. That was the main reason for why it was changed. And it made sense.

12. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I heard about that book. What do you mean by him having a change of heart? That doesn't make sense, because if he had a change of heart, why didn't he turn against the emperor/empire earlier in the duel? Why was it when his son was suffering? Here's another thing I don't get. He walks up to the Emperor zapping Luke with force lightning, and stands for for like 5 minutes doing nothing, before turning against the emperor. I don't get that. Was he planning how to save Luke? Why not walk up to the Emperor and save Luke right there? Why wait? When exact did darth vader turn back to being anakin skywalker? When he picked up the emperor, or a few minutes before, maybe when he walked up to the emperor? How and why/when did the change of heart happen? I'm confused about that. Would it have happened if the emperor never zapped luke with the lightning? What exactly, caused Vader to change his heart? It's kind of implied but never stated anywhere.

I read somewhere that Vader wasn't just trying to save Luke, he did it because he wanted to overthrow the emperor and become the emperor himself and rule with Luke, he just took advantage of the situation to turn against the emperor and gain power for himself, which he failed. Maybe he wasn't even trying to save Luke. These are just theories and speculations I had. Are they wrong?

13. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I agree now. Both revenge of the (blank) and return of the (blank) are awesome names for the last of each trilogy. But Return just sounds better for the last part of the saga. Return of the king in LOTR was a nice title. Revenge of the king wouldn't sound like a good way to end the series.