main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series CW Grade the Episode: S05E04: The Soft War

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Oct 24, 2012.

?

How would you grade this episode?

1. 10/10

11.8%
  2. 9/10

21.6%
  3. 8/10

29.4%
  4. 7/10

9.8%
  5. 6/10

7.8%
  6. 5/10

11.8%
  7. 4/10

2.0%
  8. 3/10

5.9%
  9. 2/10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    You guys know the drill.

Poll results are available by clicking on the number of votes next to each score.

That being said, we'd still prefer you to post with your score and what you liked and disliked

2. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    +Nice opening
    +Engaging the citizens, well done
    +Thunder while raining, nice, very nice
    +Puddles, small details sometimes...
    +Building up Dono
    +Music is getting much better
    +Shield system
    +Tandon is a great character
    +Cool design for Kalani
    +Laser-guillotine, I was right, quite dark
    +Dono's death was well-done in the sense that she became a victim of the randomness of war and that they killed her off after her doing something in the episode (unlike Karis or whatever one of the Nightsisters was called)
    +General Tandon's actions were a bit predictable, but well-done nevertheless
    +Ahsoka was well-written despite not doing much; she seems to be sticking closer and closer to the Jedi rulebook
    +Lighting was well-done throughout
    +Nice choice of Steela having to decide between Saw and Dendup

-Why wasn't General Tandon introduced in part 2?
    -Kalani is kind of an idiot
    -This should quite honestly have not been the penultimate episode, it leaves quite a bit for "Tipping Points" to pick up

As an arc, I feel Onderon has regained some of the momentum from "Front Runners", but I will have to wait honestly after "Tipping Points" to give a definitive opinion

9/10, much improved from last week

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    10/10 ya know the drill for my post :p

I liked everything about this episode

4. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Nothing I can really say about this episode that I didn't already cover in the discussion thread...
    So far, the best episode of the arc. Though admittedly, that's not really saying much. First of all, it seems they completely forgot and dropped the whole "We can make [the blackout] work for us" musing by King Rash. I had a feeling that was going to happen; can't allow for any shades of grey to bleed in or people might be tricked into thinking there was some real depth. The environment, especially the Royal Palace, continue to look excellent, and the diversity of character models among the crowd shot truly showcased how far the series has come in that regard. The action was, again, well done and interesting to watch.

I was largely let down by the deposed king, yet unlike the last episode, found Saw to be significantly improved. His dialogue was leaps and bounds above what it had been previously, and he seemed like an actual character this time, instead of a vessel for a thousand cliches. But of all the romance from the movies to emulate, they decided to go with the awkwardness of Anakin and Padme from Attack of the Clones for Steela and Lux? Who the hell is making these inconsistent decisions?! So hit or miss... While Kalani didn't actually do very much, I did enjoy how he served as something of a living avatar of the CIS, viewing Onderon and its people in purely tactical terms, assets and enemies, with what they can do for and against the Separatists' interests. He contrasted nicely with David Kaye's Onderonian general, whose name I unfortunately cannot recall. And once again, I liked that guy. He looked a bit like Gilad Pellaeon, and sounded quite a bit like Megatron, so all-in-all, he was definitely a win for the episode. :p The execution rescue was interesting to watch, even if I don't really understand why Steela felt she had to wait until quite literally the last second to snipe the droids; if anything, it felt like she was in on the production goal of increasing the drama. The turn and arrival of the military was a nice touch, though I was hoping for something a bit more than an Ahsoka save to free the general. Nothing against Ahsoka there, I was just hoping he might've had an extra card up his sleeve or something. Oh well.
    Overall, pretty good episode. I'm taking away half a point for not following up on the blackout from the previous episode, and another half for the homage to the awkward Attack of the Clones romance. Another half a point goes for Steela not selling me on the emotion she should be portraying, along with her overly dramatic "Wait for it" timing at the rescue of Dendup, to say nothing of the lack of an exit strategy. Dendup's weak characterization, the rebels' disinclination to just kill Rash when they had the chance, and the Ahsoka rescue that felt like a cop out for the General also add up to a half point deduction. So an 8 out of 10 it is for this episode.

5. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    The Animation was exquisite, but the very dull Storywriting destroyed it a bit. 7/10.

6. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    This episode was better than the last two. It made me care a little more about Steela, Saw, Dendup, and the newest addition to the Onderon cast Tandin. Where was that guy in the earlier parts? The convo between him and Saw was a highlight of the episode. The other highlight was the battle in the smoke cloud. Ahsoka is still fairly well used in this arc, had to deal with blowing her cover or letting folks die. I still gotta knock points off for not meshing well with HOBS, a couple of the new characters are still annoying and, then the girl I liked was just a red shirt. For advancing characters and plot I'll give it a 8/10.

7. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I really liked this one and thought it was a definite step-up from the previous two episodes of the Onderon arc; I liked that it was less focused on action which gave time to develop the characters more, General Tandin was a solid new character (and yeah, he probably should have been introduced in the previous episode which would have made his 'Heel Face Turn' a bit more believable) and the execution scene was great (again, great concept with the ray shield guillotine). Not a perfect episode but still very good. 8/10

8. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    7/10 overall.

Probably 8/10 for the actual episode, but I'm still pissed at how they wasted an entire episode, minor problems with HOBS, etc.

Seerow likes this.
  9. TheVortex3

TheVortex3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2012
    I give this episode a 8/10. My favorite parts of the episode was the ambush at the start of the episode and the part where Tandin and the Royal Onderon Militia confronted King Rash and Kalani.

10. DavidIX

DavidIX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    I just rewatched the Umbara Arc, another long arc in recent memory. It trumps this boring arc by a long shot. So how can I give this anything above a 5. It's slow developing, it doesn't have much character development, it doesn't as of yet have any epic battle scenes.

It's a big fat 5 at best. Maybe when those crazy ships come out and massacre a bunch of rebels I'll change my mind.

11. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Makes me wish Rex had stuck around with Ahsoka in this arc.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Yea, i wonder if there was any reason that he left

13. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Because TCW will put two and two together with Lux's father having been shot by clones and Lux working with clones when pigs mate with falcons and fly.

14. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Better than the last two, but I was still bored.
    Action at the end was good enough to bump it a point, 7/10.

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    6/10 -- really loved the big shoot-out scene, and Saw's a neat character. But the old king's an idiot, Luxsokeela is dumb (none of those characters has any chemistry!), and I still don't quite get why the Separatists are there to begin with.

Mia Mesharad and Inblackestnight like this.
  16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    True, but i would be fine if Rex accompanied Hondo in Tipping Points

17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Lil. Makes me think of clones getting smuggled in fruit crates again. Sorry. Lets keep this about grading "The Soft War".

18. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    9/10. Good overall, but the civilians were way too alike, and I'm tired of TCW making this silly epic moments where all the civilians protest... Hmmm lets see thats like the 100th time now. =/

19. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    i'd say an 8/10. Overall a great episode!

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    8/10

Best of the Onderon episodes so far.

21. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    9/10.
    A very solid episode. Somewhat rushed in its development, but when there's only 22 minutes to work with, that can be easily overlooked.

22. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    7/10. It was much more entertaining than the other episodes. However, the problems present since the beginning of the arc were still there.

23. GeneralCIS

GeneralCIS Jedi Master star 1

Oct 23, 2012
    4/10. The only thing cool was seeing a super tactical droid.

SeparatistFan likes this.
  24. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    One page of responses?

I'll start with the fortune cookie, "Struggles often begin and end with the truth". Surprisingly astute.

This goes for the arc in general, but they did a great job with the city of Iziz and the little things were especially evident in this episode. That being said, the Twi'lek child took me to the Uncanny Valley, and I never say that.

I.love.the.super.tactical.droid.It.makes.me.want.to.talk.like.Soundwave.

Another droid head torn off. Smh.

I thought the electrostaff guillotine was terrible. Talk about trying too hard.

I have to give them some credit for slowing things down with this arc, trying to flesh things out a little...but they didn't really pull it off. They did unfold each plan step by step in a logical fashion, but they forgot some major details.....like why they're rebelling in the first place. They didn't really show us why the government was so bad. Things looked fine. I'm not a rebel guy to begin with, so it makes it hard to care when they forget to show us why we should. They did have the whole nationalism thing going, but it just seemed like nationalism for its own sake, which is fine, but didn't really move me.

5/10

41 voters for an average score of 7.46.

25. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    6/10

Better than Front Runners because the plot had something to it, but most of what it had to it was rather predictable.