main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Was the war with the Separatists/clone wars unjust?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Lord Tyrannus, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Would Dooku have been a good leader to the new government if the Seperatists suceeded? Or a tyrant?

2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Okay . . . but how do you explain Padme's sympathetic view toward the Separatists in ROTS? I agree that originally, she was more sympathetic toward the Republic's view. But she looked past the leaders of the Separatists and took up the torch for those systems whom she felt were being oppressed or ignored by the Republic.

Then again, the war would have never began if Palpatine had not manipulated the events behind the scenes. What would have happened if he had not done that? Would a Separatist movement have begun anyway? Would the Trade Federation and other members of the Economic Power House had joined them? A part of me suspects that they would have. I have noticed in at least two incidents of "rebellion" in American history, it is the elite who ended up being the top "rebels".

3. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Was it worth it to start a war to keep the republic together? Were they any better than the empire? Double standards, I sense here. How would the big bad corporations have been dictators or evil, opressive rulers to the CIS is they succesfuly succeeded?

4. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Actually . . . it was the Republic who started the war, when the Jedi appeared on Geonosis.

5. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Palpatine started a freaking war against the Republic. He then poured tons of Republic resources in fighting this war. Then he dissolved the Republic. How is that not betrayal?

Valairy Scot likes this.
  6. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    When did the clone wars start? Phantom menace was a skirmish between the trade federation and the republic. Trade federation was part of the Seperatists. There was a 10 yr gap between TPM and AOTC. In aotc the clone wars truly started, for a few weeks the entire movie was. A few year gap between AOTC and ROTS.

7. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Would YOU wish to be ruled by corporations? Corporations who aren't run on morality, but profits?

Think of it - gas $10.00 gallons/a burger $45.00/what could you do if the entire world was ruled by corporations?

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  8. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I understand that that was betrayal, but how did the Jedi know that a sith lord was involved with their enemies, the reason they went to arrest the sith was because he betrayed the republic? How did they knows Palps was responsible?

9. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I understand your point, but what do politics like corporations have to do with sci fi?

10. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I wish I knew why GL had corporations have Senate representation. I don't. But they wanted taxes lowered (their excuse for blockading Naboo) and something they thought they could achieve in the Senate.

11. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Was Palpatine/vader evil in ROTS and the OT because he had high taxes in the empire? Was that why they were evil?

12. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    No. High taxes make you a Democrat, not evil.

[face_rofl] /just a joke, not my personal opinion, okay? :D

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Nah. The only tax Palpatine instituted was a tax on hair. He didn't like Wookiees.

Lord Tyrannus likes this.
  14. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Ian mcdarmid looks a lot like the guy from fantastic four, when he's all rock.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They know Dooku's a Sith Lord.

They knew that Dooku left the Jedi Order shortly after The Phantom Menace, when Obi-Wan killed one of the "always two" Sith.

Conclusion- the remaining Sith recruited Dooku, and had him do all those things- take control of the Separatist movement- have them create droid armies to attack the Republic (which Obi-Wan discover on Geonosis)- etc.

Once Palpatine's admitted, to Anakin, that he's a Sith Lord- the conclusion (correct) that the Jedi came to was that he's been behind everything since The Phantom Menace.

rumsmuggler and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  16. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    But how does that explain how they know that a sith lord named darth sidious betrayed the republic? The only reason they arrested Palps in the first place?

17. director-TMS

director-TMS Jedi Youngling

Oct 26, 2012
    The method of control in this galaxy is complicated. There are many trickles of inconsistency running in the Republic mesh just as there is no clear definition of who can actually have any real power. The moral of the story is that Starger (possibly me) is the only person that can have any real power because of his unlimied midichlorian count. Because Starger must be anonymous he created a double of himself through the force to eventually divert a bit of power to his friend Palpatine to make a point of it - that no one can have any power. Only his friend Palpatine who he knew growing up as a little boy must be given power of the system.

18. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What?

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, what?

Anyway, the opening crawl of ROTS points out that there is evil on both sides. But the films admittedly don't do very much to really show this; they present the Republic as the "better" option. Ultimately, though, this is all really moot because the entire war is an artifical construct concocted and controlled on both sides by one man who is bent on ruling all of it as the Emperor. Once he can comfortably call the Republic "the First Galactic Empire", he no longer needs the Separatists and the threat to the Republic that they had represented.

20. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    The Seperatists were no threat. Watch confusedmatthew's review on youtube. They just wanted to leave the Republic. The Republic were a threat to the Seperetists. Why not let them secede?

21. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, if confusedmatthew said something, then obviously it's the canon we must all adhere to. GL doesn't know what he filmed or what he meant. But confusedmatthew does. I get it, now. What else does confusedmatthew say?

22. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    It's his interpertation of a film. Canon means facts. I'm talking about opinions on character's moral motives, nature, and goals.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Ask Lincoln.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN and eht13 like this.
  24. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What does the civil war have to do with this? Ok. That's different. The confederacy allowed and supported slavery. Lincoln freed the slaves, regardless of his motives.

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I have no idea who the hell confusedmatthew is or why I should care about his opinion, but at least his name is accurate ("confused").

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.