main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Out of Bounds (The ELL OOC Thread)

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Trieste, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    D'oh! They were signed to entry level contracts.

Also, I shall cogitate on recent discussions. My mind's a bit addled at the moment so I can't give good thoughts about roster size.

2. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    Would this in any way involve me?o_O

And Trieste I'd love to do a Friendly game:D

3. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Oh noes...gangam style has come to the Star Wars universe! :D

Dubya_Scott likes this.
  4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    No, that has absolutely nothing to do with you. ;) And everything to do with me, since I created the pandemonium that will ensue. Except that Vos was your character . . . so . . .

OK, I guess you have a small part in it. You created one of the characters that will contribute to the internal issues. :p

As for roster size, I still think that there should be a cap on the number of established FA that can be signed by a team (since if one person . . . AHEM! . . . takes half of all the free agents from the pool) :p, then the rest of us are forced to sign new players.

However, the problem with your solution, Bardan, or at least what I see, is that the ELL FA pool is full of ELL-caliber players. Characters we create theoretically cannot have played in the Elite League in the previous seasons, and thus are not nearly as experienced (or are rookies). So whoever can get all the ELL FA is at an advantage because those players are experienced, while created players theoretically aren't. ;)

So basically that the rest of us deserve a chance to sign a few people. :p

5. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    It's a tricky situation to navigate regarding the ability to sign vets. I agree with Gunny's characterization. If I look at what I know from the NHL (which I know best of any sports league), even terrible, terrible, terrible teams like the Edmonton Oilers can get players who are vets and have won championships before without spending to the cap. And so can teams that are loaded with talent (who do spend to the cap). So it seems that every team can attract "veteran talent".

Yet we also come back to the fact that this is still random. Theoretical advantages don't hold. ;) A team of rookies could just own one season *cough*Genet*cough*. Is it true that this debate is kind of just as much about the ease with which teams throughout the league can replenish their rosters without having to invest in chracter creation as it is with the acquisition of veterans for storyline purposes? Or do I have this wrong?

6. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    I think in some way we are overthinking and overcomplicating what is really a very small part of this game. Especially as an over reaction to what is likely a one time event. I say we add the 24 hour claim rule to new free agents and allow for a player claimed by multiple teams to be decided by die rolls/coin flip and just leave it at that.

[​IMG]

7. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Agreed. KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid! (not that anyone here is stupid, that is)

8. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Keep It Simple Smarty then. :D

(Not to distract from the important free agent discussion, but I literally have more head coach candidates than I know what to do with for the Miners. And I have to decide on one of them. Probably today. And I now have even more than I referenced in my post. I am now going to have a Gunny moment. Should I choose:
    1. A head coach with a definite personality that I first thought of...who'd have his own theme song
    2. An interesting head coach, but one who'd be less of a primary player but have awesome cameos
    3. A head coach that I just thought of who I don't know what I'd do with right now, but there'd be potential for things to go every which way
    Oh the pressure!)

9. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    My first instinct is to say number 3 because chaos and unpredictability is awesome. I'm not big on number 1 simply because I don't pay attention to theme songs (I almost never play the soundtracks you guys add to your posts). Number 2, though... it depends on how awesome the cameos are.

So I would go with 2 or 3.

10. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Just letting you guys know that i'll be away for a week. I might not have internet access.

11. JM_1977

May 23, 2011
    Its ok you probably won't miss much. Is it ok if I do Jenna in a few posts with Zeke you know building their relationship we kinda left that hanging

12. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    And Jayla will get even more pissed off about it. Sounds fun.:p

13. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    :_|

14. JM_1977

May 23, 2011
    Why does Jayla have a crush on Zeke too?:p

15. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    Yeah it's fine. Though i'm bringing my laptop with me but sometimes i get a weak signal were i'm going. So go ahead but tag me so i could read what you wrote.

Oh Jedi Gunny why does Renhorn hate Vos. Is there a story there I need to know?

16. JM_1977

May 23, 2011
    I think I know the story

17. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    All your questions shall be answered by visiting the Temp Boards game. ;)

18. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    Couldn't you just tell me off hand with out me reading your novel posts:p

19. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
  20. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
  21. JM_1977

May 23, 2011
  22. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    You two are just jealous. :p

23. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
  24. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    I have decided upon the new free agency rules--for this season at least. I'd like to revisit them and see how they work next offseason. Here is the pertinent part from the library thread:

This sound good to everyone? Or did I miss something?

As an aside, I am now reopening free agency, which will start off in a 48 hour hold for all players. Some time Sunday afternoon I will try to resolve any multiple requests. Please consult the library thread for the current free agents. And just so you can't all complain you didn't know...

Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja Dubya_Scott jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny JediMaster_1977 Liam_Vehn Teegirloo

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  25. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    What Bardan said about determining free agents signing with which team if multiple teams want the same athlete is along the lines of what I was thinking as well. Oh, and where did the Druckenwell Marksmen disappear to? Last I checked they were in the PLL and on the list that CPL had they aren't anymore. They are the Smugglers development team after all....

Tag: CPL_Macja