main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Ooh, what's the essay topic?

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    We got 13 topics to choose from, so that was nice. I'm writing on the similarities between medieval Cairo and medieval Hangchou. Most of the other topics are about biases in history especially when using religous text, the spread of global religion, patriarchy and gender roles, and primary vs secondary sources. But now that I look back at the topics, there's one about the black death that I skimmed over. I may read the two readings on that and see if they are more intersting.

3. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Hmm...interesting time period there. Then again, History Major here, so any history thing interests me.:p

4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    It's a first year world history class, covering from the dawn of man to 1550 CE. It's a lot to cover so it's little too general for my liking, but it's required if I decide to do a major in history. Its directed towards students in their first semester of university, so as a second year, I'm bored to tears when they go over citations, biases and all that stuff. I really regret not listening to my friends who told me to take it last year with them.

5. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    I'm currently in a American History course, but what do you expect when I'm a Merican myself.:p

Still first year here, but I am majoring in either History, or as a Social Studies (History) Teacher.

6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm also in a second year Canadian history course, but since I'm Canadian, I know 90% of the stuff (if you want boring, Canadian history is where it's at! :p ). I am currently a General Arts major, possibly minoring in history and/or economics. I'm shooting for a Masters of Library and Information Sciences, so I can do my undergrad is pretty much whatever I please. General arts pretty much lets my indecisiveness run wild, so I'm liking it.

7. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    I know 95% of my American History. Not much Canadian though.:p

I'm undeclared at the moment. Still have to decide between those two I posted.

8. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I considered being a history major, but one can't do a whole lot with a history major, so I ended up going to a school that doesn't offer such majors, which led me to go with another passion of mine, video games. Of course video games quickly became programming, in order to be a little bit more marketable. Not that I really want to sit behind a desk all day and go through "two million lines of code" for the rest of my life, video game design is my dream job.

9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I've been to college three times so far, each time with some vague art major. All of my dream jobs are simply not marketable, so I need to settle on something that I can do that will earn money. Problem is, I really don't know what to go to school for and I don't want to take the same damn core requirements over and over again. I may see what all credits I've earned and see what it would take just to finish off some graphic design degree or something. Even though I won't use that graphic design degree because that's not something I do. My focus is in fine arts. That's it. And it's been a real pain to even market that.

My other dream jobs? Zoologist. Entomologist. Psychologist. "Zoologist" is too vague and there's not a real big market out for that. "Psychologist" is simply something I can discount now, as I have my own problems to deal with and would prove to be rather ineffective. "Entomologist" doesn't have a large market around here, either, but I can take it a step further with forensic entomology and that would give me more viable options.

10. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I got bachelors and masters degrees in history, wrote and edited social studies textbooks for a few years (actually using my major but not teaching! yay!), then I got laid off (stupid jerks), so I got into corporate/technical communications.

Most everything you do as a history major is reading and writing, but unfortunately a lot of jobs don't comprehend this. I can guarantee I did as much writing as an English major.

11. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Same here--I want to do something on the Civil War or 1930's Austria, but neither might be your thing...

I nearly ended up as a Zoe.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    There's a true horror story told at my university. A guy got his Masters in Mathematics and now works at Future shop.

That's going to be me probably.

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    My friend Jen got her masters in history because being a pro ballerina didn't make much money and then eventually became a masseuse because neither of those made money. True story. And then there's my relative who is fully qualified to be a teacher but manages a Pizza Hut because he can't get a job. So the economy sucks for all job levels.

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Can't wait to be managing AC Moore with my masters in Entomology.

15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I have the majority of a BS in Exercise Physiology, an AS in respiratory care, I work (after taking 3 board exams) as a registered respiratory threrapist at the number one hospital in the US, and I still have no idea what I want to do with my life. :p I like my job more in theory than in practice... it's okay I just don't want to do it forever (or more than the next 5 years).

16. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I'm a phlebotomist/medical assistant who ended up delivering pizza and answering phones for newspapers before finally getting a job as a medical records assistant. On the upside... I finally learned how to talk to people on the phone, and I know where all the apartment complexes and hotels are in town.

17. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I have a bachelor's in culinary arts and work in receiving in Walmart. But since I was close to a nervous breakdown when I did work at a restaurant...

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I have absolutely no degree whatsoever, aside from my high school diploma! Go me! I can't get a job because I don't have a college degree!

19. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I have a high school diploma and some studies in chemistry and physics and ended up being a civil servant and now working in archives at our townhall. My chemistry background was usefull in becoming a volunteer firefighter getting degrees there up to instructing firefighters.
    And with archives becoming digitized my work will decrease until there is no paper anymore

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Just had brunch with three nephews, two sisters and a lot of birchermuesli. I now regret giving my older nephew a singing card. EVERYONE is singing "Monster Mash." But I went to the doctor, confirmed there's no break. Just a bad high sprain and the possibility of a partially torn ligament. They said it was hard to tell on the x-rays, but if I wasn't feeling better soon to have someone cut off my leg. Not exactly a pep talk. Oh. And I have a new laptop.

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks. Now I have the Monster Mash playing in my head. Ouch... I'm glad it's not broken.

Speaking of new laptops, my sister just bought a new desktop computer, so she gave her macbook to our mother. I'm pissed. The Macbook is only 3 years old and cost about 3000 dollars (her last boyfriend bought it for her), and SHE GAVE IT TO OUR MOTHER WHO ONLY USES IT TO CHECK HER EMAIL. THAT'S IT. I keep trying to convince my mother to trade with me, but she wont. But it's not like I need it. I bought my HP laptop a year ago and I paid 800 for it.

22. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Maybe she figured it might cause problems if she gave it to you. First she would be giving away a gift to her, which could upset your sister and maybe she figures if your sister wanted you to have it, she would have given it to you. I know my sons would never give each other anything...sibling rivalry sucks. If one son gave me something nice and I gave it to his brother he would have a royal fit. But since I don't know your family, that is just a wild guess.

TrakNar -- Nowadays I think a college degree is overrated. Where I live the jobs are in skilled trades such as welders, plumbers, electricians, or other jobs that require tech training and licensing. My husband and I have Master's Degrees and it hasn't really helped. There are so many out-of-work college graduates that it is hard to stand out in the crowd. You should check out the local tech school and see if they offer training you like. You are a skilled artist, have you tried doing commissions? I know a lot of the artists over at DeviantArt are making money that way.

On a brighter note, the sun finally came out a few days ago and I got a nice photo of the sun coming in through my bedroom window.
    [​IMG]

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Jedi_Lover. No, it's not sibling rivalry. If I needed it, my sister would have given it to me. And she know I could never part with Penelope II the HP. She's pretty much married to Harry, my HP printer, who hates all other computers. I just want to play with Garage Band and all the fun mac stuff.

I just think it's overkill to give my mother the professional Macbook when she doesn't even know how to exit stuff on it (seriously, she is so used to Windows I had to teach her that the red dot in the corner is the Mac version of the X). I'm going to have to give her lessons on force clicking because she is so used to right and left click and I cant wait for the day she asks me why doesn't ctrl+c works. It'd actually probably be easier for her if we traded, but that would mean transferring all my files and that is just a pain that is not worth it. Besides, none of my adaptive technology and programs works with Macs.

24. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    It took me a couple months before I figured out how to get my desktop mouse to right click. I still am not good at saving things. I can't figure out how to save directly to subfiles. I guess I need to google that. The MAC also doesn't like my non-gmail email. It will let me see my yahoo email in the universal mailbox, but it won't let me reply unless I use my gmail. I am sure that is another thing I could probably fix if I just knew how.

The BEST thing about a Mac is my PC sons have no clue how to use it. So they stay out of my office. Right now my oldest has my PC laptop so he, his brother and his best friend can play some game called minecraft online. I guess the oldest is hosting a game for the other boys. At least they are not fighting.

25. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am a semester away from a Bachelor's of Science in Computer Information Systems, but, sadly, I have never worked a day in my life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.