main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Was Vader in constant pain in the suit?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by theman54, Sep 29, 2011.

1. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    i'm not sure what you mean. you are kind of contradicting yourself.

pain does lead to awareness, but i'm sure chronic pain would lead to a great amount of unhappiness and avoidance as well. i think maybe luke whilst reproducing the old pain, also gave it a new delicate quality, it's just our luke and how he does things. i think he stand up to vader more truthfully than padme does, padme is too sad and caught up in this mess really.

gee, it's been a long time since i have thought about this.

2. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    According to the new Darth Vader a 3D Reconstruction Guide Vader was in agony and that he was given a nero toxin that was heavily deluded to help with the pain but it didn't put a dent in it.

3. ForceJumpAnakin

ForceJumpAnakin Force Ghost star 4

Dec 24, 2006
    Does he need to eat, drink, or relieve himself? I don't think he sleeps.

4. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
  5. Valley_Lord

Valley_Lord Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2005
    The majority of Darth Vader's wound are due to presumably 2nd-3rd degrees burns on his torso, head and limbs. Pain from these injuries would depened on whether or not local nerve endings were destroyed while Darth Vader was being for lack of a better word cooked.

As an amputee, he would undoubtably have phantom pain from the missing limbs.

The most painful issue would be the damage to his lungs, presuming there actually was damage and not an attempt to subvert Anakin before he could challenge the Emporer. If the Lung damage was real it would be excruciating, not just in terms of pain, but in shortness of breathe.
    The fact that he intentionally spends time without the mask suggests that he can tolerate habitable oxygen based enviroments.

The fact that he is reduced to a respirator and prosthetic limbs when entire humans are cloned seems suspicious to me.

My conclusion is that Darth Vader lived in pain due to his burns where nerve endings survived, and to whatever damage was done to his lungs and due to phantom limb syndrome.
    I do question whether the pain would be as debilitating as his appearance suggests.

6. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I would have to say the suit was very comfortable, we don't know what fabric was used for the interior of the suit. Plus he had special chamber for hygene. He had to eventually remove thw mask & suit to clean his wounds. Plus there seemed to be an upgrade on the prostitics. The hand luke cuts off is not the same hand he had on ROTS. I think the only internal organs damaged on Mustafah was his lungs. Which is where the mask comes in. It had to be an air tight mask too. The helmet was just for style, most of Vaders uniform looks very close to Anakins uniform with addition of shoulder armor. The guy had his own star destroyer a& probably had multiple helmets, caps, uniforms & prostectics. He probably made adjustments & modifications to his own limbs, remember Anakin is pretty handy too.

7. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I would have to say the suit was very comfortable, we don't know what fabric was used for the interior of the suit. Plus he had special chamber for hygene. He had to eventually remove thw mask & suit to clean his wounds. Plus there seemed to be an upgrade on the prostitics. The hand luke cuts off is not the same hand he had on ROTS. I think the only internal organs damaged on Mustafah was his lungs. Which is where the mask comes in. It had to be an air tight mask too. The helmet was just for style, most of Vaders uniform looks very close to Anakins uniform with addition of shoulder armor. The guy had his own star destroyer a& probably had multiple helmets, caps, uniforms & prostectics. He probably made adjustments & modifications to his own limbs, remember Anakin is pretty handy too.

8. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Well, people who have serious burns all over their bodies feel pain long after, right? Vader got serious burns all over his body. So...

9. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    '
    The only real concern is the damaged lungs, there is the power supply for Vaders mask & prostectics, that's the system on his stomach area, his skin was healed with many deep scars in various parts of his body. Vader was comfy. Clean air, responsive limbs & great health care. Probably got full body massages from the sexiest Twi'leks the galaxy had to offer. Anakin was living large up until Luke came along to remind him of Padme.

10. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Why did Vader need the mechanical breathing?

11. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Was that sound of him breathing? Or was it the mask pumping pure oxygen into the mask? Did anyone notice the breath pitch changed after Palpatines electricity?? The mask was malfunctioning & Anakin knew it was a wrap. Even the electronics in the prsthetics were fried, that why Luke had to walk him & drag him to the ship.

12. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Yeah. I noticed that a while ago. His breathing sounded all weezy and weaker. After he threw Palps down the ledge.

13. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    That's what I'm saying, the sound is not of him breathing, its the resperator pumping air into the mask.

14. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Why does vader have the mechanical breathing in the first place? Why does he need it? Why does he need the mask/suit so survive, exactly?

15. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    His lungs were scarred and unable to function due to breathing toxic smoke. He needed the respirator to breath.

16. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Then how did he survive a few hours or possibly days while laying in the ground on mustafar before Palps went to rescue him? How much longer could he have survived? Minutes? Hours? Days?

17. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Three hours, sixteen minutes and five seconds. He was lucky Palps arrived before then.

Mata2010 likes this.
  18. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Then why did he die a few minutes after the suit was damaged by lightning in ROTS? Was he slowly dying? Was his lifespan decreased, even in the life support suit?

19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    No breathing for daddy Vader outside the suit.

20. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    He wasn't fried by lightning on Mustafar. The lightning was deadlier and it served the plot better.

21. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    You're wrong. Both are true.

22. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Fine. You're the expert.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  23. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
  24. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Unless his is on the chamber that allows him to do so on his star destroyer

25. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    When was that chamber built, the one in ESB? When was the first time vader took of the helmet after being put in the robot suit? A new hope?

Why was his skin egg white?