main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What would you add/subtract to make the Prequels better?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarthEmpron, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    I agree with most of this. Many of the cuts you propose are needless slapstick that didn't really work, IMO.
    I disagree with removing Boss Nass' tick. I actually liked that quirk.

2. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    I agree with this. Ben's attire should have been typical Tatooine garb as opposed to a Jedi uniform. For Pete's sake, we see Uncle Owen wearing something similar (and Luke, for that matter). Lots of locals in Mos Eisley wore similar robes as well, including the strange looking being that bought Luke's landspeeder.

3. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    Many people enjoy introducing the saga to others in theatrical release order (IV-VI, I-III). I fall into that category, and one of the main reasons is I don't want the surprises in the OT (e.g. Vader's identity, Yoda) to be spoiled. Also, much of what is presented in the PT is geared towards an audience that has already seen the OT.
    That being said, George Lucas (and others on here) insist that the movies should be viewed in episodic order (I-VI). Personally, I think that order ruins much of the magic of the OT for first-time viewers.
    I agree with sinkie's idea of preserving Vader's identity as Anakin in the PT. I wouldn't necessarily go about it in the same way, but the concept is valid. I also think that it would have been a good idea to keep Yoda out of the PT, with his character only being mentioned in dialogue. His reveal in TESB would only be heightened.

sinkie likes this.
  4. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    What do you have against anakin/vader being from a miraculous/supernatural conception? The force is darth vader's father. Sounds pretty cool to me. As for the chosen one thing you dislike, I think it's pretty cool. Normally it's cliche, but if you add a plot twist, a messiah who falls to evil and eventually returns to fullfill his heroic role, is awesome and dark.

Maybe his name could be anakin starkiller, not skywalker. Agree or disagree? It's a cool name that has the same basic structure as skywalker, as was in the original drafts.

I agree on one thing though-have the trilogy revolve around an unsuited Vader. Hayden christensen with yellow eyes, a lightsaber, and long dark hair as darth vader for 3 movies would sound awesome. Humanize him instead of making him a cyborg for the entire trilogy. I don't wanna see an entire trilogy about a cyborg vader, make most of it about a humanized version of vader. With armor! Awesome!! The problem with that idea is, I prefer the backstory lucas already had-vader turns to the darkside to save his wife who was pregnant with princess leia and luke skywalker, to get some kind of darkside ability after a force vision.

5. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    My response was directed at sinkie's third point regarding maintaining the surprise of Vader's identity.

But since you ask, I don't really like the virgin birth/ chosen one concept either. I don't like that Anakin is made out to be some sort of demi-god or Jesus-like figure. That motif has grown old in cinema. Plus, I prefer the "human" aspects of Star Wars characterizations. Luke was appealing as a character in the OT because he was relateable. Then the PT came around, and "wham-o", now he's the son of a fatherless being conceived by microscopic organisms... Not to mention that the virgin birth/ chosen one theme was not really hashed out, and therefore served no significant purpose to the story.

6. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What do you mean it wasn't really hashed out? What does that even mean? I don't get the meaning of that word. I like the idea of Luke and leia being children of a virgin born chosen one demigod space jesus. What's wrong with that idea? It was one of the best aspects of the prequels? It's way cooler than anakin being the chosen of cliegg lars or some boring Jedi or random dude.

Luke was a relatable character. I agree. But it makes him even cooler if his grandfather is the Force. Leia is the granddaughter of the Force. Luke and leia are grandchildren of the force, with no paternal grandfather, 3/4 human, sounds awesome.

It did serve a significant purpose to the story. Just watch the OT.

7. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    I mean that they didn't really expand on it and make it meaningful to the plot.

If you think about it, Luke and Leia are not grandchildren of "The Force", but of microbes (midichlorians). Qui-Gon: "...He was conceived by the midichlorians". Eww. lol
    It's nice that you like the virgin birth concept. We will have to agree to disagree.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    More like a Nazi hiding out in a hypothetical country where most people wear Nazi uniforms.

9. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What? What are you talking about?????????????????????????

10. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Vader was conceived by the Force, with the midichlorians's help. He was a demigod of the Force. A messiah created to destroy the darkside or the Sith. So the force conceived him as a weapon against the sith. What's so hard to understand about that?

11. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    It's easy enough to understand. I just don't care for it.

12. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Why not? A cyborg samurai space jesus sounds kinda cool.

Another thing I don't get. Anakin was conceived by midichlorians. But, did the Force, influence the midichlorians to create him to fullfill the prophecy of the Chosen One and destroy the Sith, or did Darth plageius use the darkside to influence the midichlorians to create him as a sith experiment?

Did the darkside or the lightside create anakin?

13. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It was never said that the Chosen One was to destroy the dark side. Destroying the dark side would be a bad thing according to Mortis and other sources.

14. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What do you mean by that? A bad thing according to mortis and other sources? What does that mean?

15. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    Nobody really knows the answer.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    A character in Mortis said it would be a bad thing. Lucas' statements about the Force indicate that it would be a bad thing.

17. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Be more specific. What or who is mortis? Lucas's statements about the Force indicate it was a bad thing? What? What do u mean by that? I disagree. Support ur opinion with faccts.

18. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    If I wrote the prequels, Vader's force choke would be the thing that killed Padme, not some stupid lost the will to live lame excuse. Who agrees with me? It would've been a homage too, to the originals.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It means Lucas made statements about the Force, and said the Force has two sides, and they both need to be there. Lucas consistently describes the Force as two-sided in its natural state.

A three episode arc from season 3 of the show "The Clone Wars".

20. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What's more likely, though? What's your theory? Not how u would've written the story, but your theory, given the film's info, about anakin's father and creation? Plageius or the light side? DId plageious even exist? Or mabe palps created anakin. Or he was an avatar of the light side. What's better? Maybe a combo of both? How could that happen?

21. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I don't agree w ur interpertaton. When did Lucas say that the darkside had to exist? I thought the darkside was bad? R u saying the darkside was good?

Then what was the chosen one for? Lucas also said that anakin destroyed the sith.

22. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    I haven't read much of the EU material out there, but my personal belief is that Plapatine used Plageius' techniques and created Anakin by influencing the midichlorians.

23. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    How does mortis contradict what I said?

24. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Are you saying that the Emperor is anakin's father? How does that go along with the whole messiah idea? Isn't it more savior-like if the light side creates him to destroy the sith? Like anakin was created by the force for the purpose of destroying the sith? It would go along with the space jesus thing, too.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    In some threads it seems like you do; in others you don't. Strange...

Interviews.

You answer your own question.

"Destroying the dark side would be a bad thing according to Mortis and other sources."

Palpatine had to have been trained by someone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.