main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The use of Force lightning in fanfic

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Lord Tyrannus, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    I'm writing an alternate version of the SW prequels. Should darth vader (before robot suit, anakin skywalker as a sith lord), use force lightning. If so, when? To the Separatist council? Padme? Who? Where? Should i even go with that idea? Is it cheesy?

I had an idea that he uses force lightning on padme on mustafar. Or, during the fight with obi-wan kenobi, or even anakin directly does it to mace windu, or some other jedi, like ahsoka tano? I don't want to redo it though, and I want to do it creatively.

Rough draft ideas here, I write fanfic soon.

2. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I'm gonna write my fanfic long stories soon.

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    If he had already had some Sith training by then, I don't see any harm with letting him use Force Lightning. As for on whom... if he hadn't received any training, he could use it spontaneously in anger. It would come more as a surprise then if, perhaps, after a contentious moment with Padmé that devolves into what could lead into the classic definition of domestic violence, Anakin allows his rage to take over and he zaps her good. Perhaps afterward, he could be shocked at what he had done, then you could allow the scene to progress from there. Does he tell anyone? Does he go to get help? Is Padmé still alive? Did he accidentally kill her? If she's still alive and Anakin gets help, does he tell the truth? Does he blame it on faulty wiring? Were there witnesses who may have heard the commotion? Do they come forward? Lots of possibilities with this one.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  4. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Well, presumably Obi-Wan would be there seeing Anakin using the Force lightening on Padme since Lord Tyrannus said he was thinking of having him do so on Mustafar, so Anakin going to get help would be a mute point.

The shock value (no pun intended, but if you wish to take it as such, I'm not opposed :p ) of him using such a destructive force (also no pun intended) on Padme would be great. Though using Force Lightening for even a short burst would more likely kill a non-Force sensitive such as Padme, there is the fact that she is carrying Anakin's babies who ARE Force sensitive... perhaps that would ironically give her some protection and she could survive a short burst (just a theory). However, again the shock value, I don't see Padme easily forgiving Anakin for doing that to her when she's pregnant with his children... giving you some more to go on if you are going to have her survive instead of rehashing cannon's cop-out death.

5. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Force lightning would not kill a non-force sensitive. How does one having or not having force powers defend you from sith lightning? I don't see the connection, or how that would harm padme.

A second question. If darth vader didn't throw palpatine down the death star, and the emperor just continued to zap luke, would luke have died? How? Did Vader save his son's life, or just save him from being tortured?

6. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    I took this from wookieepedia: "The intensity varied based on a number of factors. A skilled user could render a target unconscious with only a short burst. A single, powerful blast was sufficient to kill a person instantly. Darth Bane's lightning, for example, would often electrocute his opponents to death on contact. Galen Marek was another Force-user who could channel lightning that would kill on contact. Both Kyle Katarn and Darth Sidious could conjure lightning so powerful that not only would it instantly kill its target, it would also physically hurl them backwards. The latter's usage was also powerful enough to render anyone caught in it into charred husks if used to its full potency, as demonstrated by his execution of Headmaster Gentis for his military coup against him."

So, yeah, Force Lightening would kill someone with or without Force sensitivity. I don't see how you could think it wouldn't kill anyone. The part where I mentioned the possibility of her unborn babies' force sensitivity helping Padme survive is based on a theory that Force sensitives may be able to withstand trauma better than non-force sensitives.

I think you should do more research before writing about Force powers. You clearly have some misconceptions.

It is conceivable that Luke could have died from Sidious' continued assault... as to how... electrocution, of course. Force Lightening is electrical. Read this! Yes, I believe Darth Vader did save his son's life.

7. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Then why was luke still alive after getting zaped? And healthy too. He got up in a few seconds, and didn't seem harmed or in pain. The force lightning was not electrical. It was just the darkside of the force inflicting pain through energy bolts, not electricity, some wierd fantasy substance. Why wasn't he disfigured, like Palpatine was from mace windu?

8. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    You obviously did not read my link. "Force lightning was a purely offensive, energy-based attack that channeled Force energy down the user's limbs, hurling arcing bolts of electricity from the wielder's fingertips or palms."

Palpatine was disfigured through the negative use of the Force, not from taking the effects of Force Lightening. Luke survived because Palpatine held back. The old coot wanted to torture his victim before killing him. The fact that Luke got up and didn't seem harmed or in pain was the fault of the writers/directors... it wasn't convenient to their plot so they downplayed it.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  9. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    If vader didn't throw Palps down the death star, would luke have lived?

Palpatine was disfigured by the force lightning. I don't know why you think otherwise.

Anyway, back on topic. Should I edit the padme force lightning out of my fanfic and keep the force choke? If I do that, how can I include Vader force lightning anywhere?

10. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Sorry, I didn't mean to put that as fact, but again as theory... here is why i think Palpatine's disfigurment is not from Force Lightening... or at least not fully... again from Wookieepedia:

"The possibility was that his own lightning simply scarred and melted his face, in the same way that electricity in the real world damages anything it hits. Though most of the circumstances behind Palpatine's duel with Windu and the other Jedi Masters were not publicly revealed, he did garner sympathy in the Senate by claiming that he had been disfigured when the Jedi attacked him, a claim that was truthful, from a certain point of view.
    "He looks like a walking corpse… Like a mummified body dead a thousand years. Amazing he is still alive, much less the most powerful man in the galaxy. He isn't even that old; it is more as if something is slowly eating him."
    Prince Xizor's thoughts on Palpatine in 3 ABY[src]
    The disguise theory

Another theory is that Sidious's deformed appearance was his true face, which had been gradually deformed due to the immense dark energies he wielded (a process that has happened to other devotees of the dark side, though to a lesser extent), and that prior to his fight with Windu he had been using some kind of Sith or other technique (like Force Concealment) in order to cloak his true form and appear normal to others. He may also have had cosmetic surgery which "corrected" his real face, like Seti Ashgad did, who looked many years younger than he actually was. According to this theory, he dropped the disguise either because he wanted to look injured and weak to Anakin (and in turn to the Senate, earning the sympathy of many), or because he lost concentration while fighting Windu. It is also possible that it would take too much energy to continue to maintain it, or just because the lightning literally melted the mask away, and he kept this look in order to frame the Jedi for deforming him. The short story Sithisis supports this theory, depicting Sidious literally masking his face with a Sith ritual, though it could be argued that his true face in the comic does not appear as deformed as it does after his fight with Windu. Sithisis could possibly explain Palpatine's younger and healthier appearance in Revenge of the Sith when compared to Attack of the Clones. Further, in The Unifying Force, Luke Skywalker muses that Palpatine had been "prematurely wizened by years of calling on dark power."
    It is most likely, though, that both theories are partially true. It makes sense that some of Palpatine's deformities (presumably those that seem characteristic of concentrated burn wounds, such as melted skin and facial indentations) were caused by the lightning itself, while other supposed deformities (presumably those that couldn't possibly be caused by lightning and are known to have been the side effects of intense Force—and particularly dark side—use, such as pale and wrinkled skin, raw eye sockets, yellow eyes, bad teeth and elongated, blackened fingernails) were aspects of Palpatine's true appearance being revealed. Moreover, Sidious's hands (and presumably his entire body) remained unchanged after the disfiguration of his face. The next time he was seen though, he had pale, swollen hands with long, black fingernails. Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary appears to support the Force mask theory and provides another canonical source, making it very likely that the theory is true. Ian McDiarmid also stated in an interview that his healthy-looking appearance was in fact a disguise, and the disfigured visage was his true face.[77]"

I don't think Luke would have survived without Vader's intervention.

You can keep the force lightening being used on Padme, but please, do the proper research. It is electricity that is accessed through the use of the Force.

11. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I decided not to use force lightning on Padme. I like the force choke better. But I can't decide that good. What are the advantages and disadvantags of both?

Who else can unsuited Vader use force lightning on? The Seperatists? Obi wan? Sandpeople? An imperial officer? Jedi? I can't decide. I mean unsuited in the sense that before he got burned and got the samurai helmet and JES voice.

[​IMG]

12. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Obi-Wan would be a good choice. Instead of using Force push against him towards the beginning of the Mustafar fight, he could use the lightening.

13. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    But how would obi wan survive? My fanfic is basically an alternate version, my version of the prequels. I liked the prequels, but i would've done it a bit differently. It cannot contradict the originals, since it is a prequel, not a rewrite of the originals. Obi alec Wan ewan guinesss Kenobi mcgregor must live!!!!!

14. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    That, you would have to figure out on your own. There are ways Jedi can counter Force Lightening... both Mace Windu and Yoda did so quite effectively. I'm sure Obi-Wan could do so as well.

15. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Do you agree with me that he shouldn't force lightning Padme? That the force choke, which was done in the films, was way better and made more sense, and also a homage to the originals. Agree? Why? yes, i'll think of a way that obi wan mcgregor blocks it.

16. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    As to if I agree that he shouldn't use force lightening on Padme, it's your story. You are the author and are free to do as you will. I can make a case for or against him using it on Padme.

17. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Make a case for and against it, please. I might wanna include the force choke, but I'm also interested in using force lightning. State a case for both sides and I'll make up my mind.

18. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Later.. i'm rather tired, and this debate is taking me from writing my own fic LOL

19. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Ok.

20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    All right, my thoughts on both...

Force Choke is more subtle. It causes strangulation and the intensity can cause damage to internal structures. For example, the hyoid bone would be fractured. This could be played up later, as while Force Choke may not cause any external damage and for a sneaky killer, this would be a very good method of killing someone and not leaving a trace. The determination of Force Choke would be made during autopsy, with the discovery of the fractured hyoid bone. Also, when Force Choke is used, the victim suffocates, and all sorts of signs would emerge. Peticial hemorrhaging in the eyes (little pinpoints of blood) from burst blood vessels, and even the brain could swell. If the swelling is massive enough, the brain could herniate through the hole at the base of the skull. This would be fatal, and it could be done with a lower level of Force choking. Don't break the hyoid bone, but suffocate the person enough to cause their death.

Force Choke has a more intimate brutality to it. The death is more subtle, and it can be torturous. The user can prolong the death for as long as they need, so a particularly sadistic Sith could toy with their victim that way. They don't even need to kill them, they can just torture them. "Try screaming now, you son of a Bith." It could be used for assault as well as murder and become a pivotal tool in a dramatic scene. Can't seem to figure out why So-and-so keeled over? Well, autopsy revealed that they were Force Choked. But... by who?? (Dun dun DUUUUUNNNNN!)

Force Lightning is far less subtle. It uses electricity in the attack, which can not only damage external structures, but cause massive internal damage. Want to really cause a character some trouble? Have their Sith friend send a jolt of Force Lightning up their arm. Not only will it affect their heart and cause havoc there (asystole, anyone), but it will damage the nerves and muscle tissue as it travels through the body and into the ground. And those damage muscles will release toxins and bits of muscle tissue into the bloodstream, and that will filter into the kidneys and clog the structures there, and then the kidneys will be in trouble. Your character now has nerve damage in their arm, they're heart is going haywire, and due to the pain and trauma to the muscles, they may need dialysis at a later date, and if the damage was severe enough, their arm may need to be amputated.

A mild jolt of Force Lightning would be the equivalent of getting shocked with a household current. It will hurt and knock you on your butt. Ramp it up to a powerful electric fence, and that would knock you unconscious. Keep upping the intensity, and you're in trouble. And if the Force Lightning isn't directed to you, you could get a side flash from the poor schlub beside you who's getting roasted. It's electricity. It's dangerous and unpredictable. And thus, it's pretty darn versatile. The burns it causes will also be obvious. And as with lightning strikes, if you zap your pregnant character, there is a good chance that the baby will be lost.

Personally, I say go with whichever will suit the plot the most. if you want to amp up the drama, go with the one that will have a greater impact on your scene. Do you want to tell a very energized and dramatic scene? Then pick the power that will have the most energy. A good litmus test? Envision the scene. Then, envision the scene with each power. Which one has the greatest impact and visual would be the best one to use.

21. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I'm just going to step in here and say that if this is going to be a generic discussion of the effects of Force lightning on sentients, then this discussion can continue, since the discussion on that front is interesting.

However, Lord Tyrannus, we don't allow discussion threads about individual stories, so try to keep the discussion more general. If you want to get help with a story, I encourage you to visit the Creche thread and find a fanfiction Master to help you out. :)

22. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Are there threads where we can write stories and have discussions?

23. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Was luke physically injured at the end of ROTJ from force lightning? Why didnt he get disfigured. Why do some get disfigured by force lightning and others don't? Does it work differently for each person?

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    In terms of RotJ, it can be summed up as such: Creative license. As for why he wasn't disfigured, Lucas most likely didn't have that in mind when he worked on RotJ. As for why some are disfigured and others are not, again it is mainly the whim of the author, but as Alexis_Wingstar pointed out, there are different strengths of it, and the whole theory behind Palpatine's disfigurement was already explained.

25. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Yes.

TrakNar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.