main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Legacy Jedi Endordude, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
  2. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    I can't argue with the idea that it is pointless to worry about what you can't control, but boy can it be hard to implement that, at times. We aren't in a prime danger zone, not really, but I can't help but worry over whether we are going to have damage, roof leaking, water in the basement, etc. And I know those are trivialities compared to the major damage and flooding issues faced by some.

Let's hope the most dire projections prove false. Maybe the entire Jedi Council here can use the Force a bit and push the whole mess completely out to sea? ;-)

Hope everyone rides it out okay, with minimum trouble!

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    School might be canceled on Monday for me. Even my race tomorrow is preemptively cancelled. Good thing I've stocked up on food in case my building loses power or stores around me close.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I have stocked up on cheese and wine. I can weather anything.

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I am glad that you have things to barter away to thieves in case society breaks down into lawlessness, but having some food and drink might also be helpful, Jello.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Friend of mine lives in Connecticut and he is in the projected path. He said the supermarkets in his area were a zoo yesterday.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So you're saying I should get vodka?

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Everyone is sold out of D batteries. :mad:

9. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    And generators, which my dad didn't think would happen yesterday :rolleyes:

I'm just glad it's not going to hit as a Cat 2 like was expected. It'll probably be worse than Hurricane Irene last year, which isn't good. And it'll be worse in that it's going to affect a lot more people.

LET'S DO IT!!!!!

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Is it too much to hope for a simultaneous earthquake?

11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    After Irene and the snowstorm one two punch last fall, everyone was out in force in CT preparing for Sandy. Gov. Malloy's declared a state of emergency and the university is making its decision on whether to close Monday and/or Tuesday by tomorrow. And the likely outcome is that they will close this time. CLP claims to have 2000 trucks in addition to their 400 that will be in state and at staging centers before the storm arrives. After last year's bungling, this will be their chance to prove themselves. We'll see if they learned anything at all I guess.

12. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Now the estimated time of landfall is later, so it seems as if a lot of people are waiting for more time to pass before making a decision. I'd think though, with a state of emergency, that ALL schools would be closed!

13. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    looks at map, the outter ring of this storm is over me? Crazy.... And I live three days away from where the center makes land fall that just nuts

Stay safe to all those directly in the path [:D]

14. Darthkat76

Darthkat76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I really hope class is cancelled on Monday. It's a 40 mile commute for me.

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    People are driving crazy in Rhode Island today. We're all stocking up, preparing to lose power.

But anyways, it's not just the Hurricane coming from the South, it's also the Winterstorm coming from the West. Could get a lot of rain, even snow, strong wind gusts and severe thunderstorms from that.

The storm is going to be at its peak during high tide at full moon too.

Even worse, they're saying that a strong cold front is coming down from the North at the same time. They say the "Frankenstorm"/Weatherbomb could then hover over the Northeast for days.

I think CNN was saying earlier that it could cause over $3 billion in damages.

[​IMG]

16. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Sigh maybe I need to make a run to the store. They're getting edgy in Cleveland and I live across the lake from Cleveland

17. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    We stocked up on water, batteries, flashlights, bread, and alcohol (emphasis on the alcohol). I think we're ready! I'm near Richmond and the rain is supposed to start hitting us in a few hours with the wind getting worse over the next several days.

18. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    I'm eagerly awaiting the images of overturned garbage cans and shopping carts.

19. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Those of us not in the path of storm hope the storm is not near as bad as expected. Please stay safe.

20. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm about an hour west of Philly and this thing is supposed to just sit over us for a couple of days, so we're making all the necessary preparations. I think we're set and at this point, we're praying for the best.

Everyone else in the storm's path, please stay safe!

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    IDK... we could end up Dorsk 81ing ourselves

22. Darthkat76

Darthkat76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I live across the street from a hospital. I have high hopes that my power will remain on....[face_good_luck]

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    We're stocked up here on the Beach east coast. Shelters are also opening throughout the area.

24. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    Just realized something, IT'S 2012! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES.

Ha ha, just kidin

Back To reality, being no one knows when the world will really end.

My family is preparing, we got the generator, and are working out side, but we didn't do much inside, which kinda worries about it, but my parents don't seem that worried, being we have a really old house! i mean, what are the odds of a Hurricane hitting the exact location in Pennsylvania where I live? Please, don't tell odds.

But what ever happens, i know where i'll be going, so i shouldn't get to worked up. I just hope it doesn't hit, cause i really want to make a comic book when I get older.

In my experience there's no such thing as luck :cool: oh how i love to quote star wars

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    We did all our outdoor preperations yesterday. Hopefully the winds don't get too bad.