main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Was Vader in constant pain in the suit?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by theman54, Sep 29, 2011.

1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Spends alot of his time inside.

A suit. :p

2. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    But how exactly did that make his skin turn white?

When did he first get the breathing pod?

3. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Blocks his skin from getting much sun.

4. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Back on topic. I don't think Palpatine would have Vader in pain that would be really dumb & conunter productive. Vaders suit was comfortable.Probably felt like he was wearing nothing at all. Even the helmet was light weight

5. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    But why aren't the imperial officers/soldiers on the death star pale? It's a space station. They dont get exposure to any star or suns.

6. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Dude. Seriously? None of them are wearing a head to toe suit for the last twenty years, either.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  7. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    So there were other reasons his skin was pale white, other than sunlight? What were they?

8. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Enough. You're taking a walk. You're trolling at this point. See you in 24.

9. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I've never seen a stormtrooper with their helmet off, I did see clone troopers, but not stormtroopers

10. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Patience! Use the force......our you could suspend him for 24 hours which ever works best.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  11. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    We seen stormtroopers with helmets off a lot in the EU. The helmet always on thing worked in the movies, however - dehumanized them, made them seem like an evil, oppressive mass. Scarier that way.

12. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Counterproductive? On the contrary, I believe that Palpatine's view would be that the pain increases Vader's anger, which in turn gives him focus and makes him stronger. In other words, the pain makes him an excellent Sith Lord.
    I'm sure Anakin learned to live with whichever degree of pain he was in, though. His only other choice would be to die and I don't think Palpatine would allow that.

What doesn't make you weaker makes you stronger
    /LM

minnishe and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  13. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
  14. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I stand corrected.

No - it's a strong word
    /LM

15. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I think Vader had great threads that felt good to wear.

16. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    He was in pain. Noticed how iron man runs around in his suit?

Vader just walks around like an old lady.

17. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    It wouldn't be out of the ordinary for the Emperor to allow Vader to experience pain, after the transformation.
    Think about the scene where he gets all his limbs replaced. He is not asleep. They were performing surgery while Anakin was still conscious!
    If that was the Emperor's decision, then it wouldn't seem far fetched that he continued to keep Vader under constant pain. Pain makes Vader feel uneasy, agitated, so that when faced with a problem this continuous discomfort would force him into acting with more cruelty than usual.

18. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    Jar Jar: (whispers) Darth Vader Ani, how do you, you know, drop the kids off in the pool?

Vader: (whispers) I use the force to digest faster, that way it all comes out in my urine.

Jar Jar: (Shouting) Uhhgg. Thats disgusting, everybody did you he...........uuggghhhhfffffffghhhgh

Vader: Bitch[face_shame_on_you]

19. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
  20. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Yes. Sideous forced as much pain on Vader as possible without drawing too much attention. Sideous had to make sure that Vader does not realize how much he is being manipulated via the means of pain, regret, and all sorts of things. But it was a big tug-a-war for around thirty years between Sideous & Vader. I suggest that Vader tries to relieve himself from as much pain as possible while Sideous constantly finds way to bring the pain back even worse.

Tug-a-war. Vader tries escaping pain while Sideous secretly inflicts back at him.

21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  22. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    No physical pain, just the emotional suffering Yoda told him he would eventually feel. Saying Vader felt pain in the suit is just as dumb as someone in a wheelchair feeling pain in their arms & please no dumb exception stories about family members in a whellchair...thanks in advance.

23. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    You do realise his suit is basically a life support system, right?

24. tsunami1138

tsunami1138 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    Yes, he felt pain. Being burned alive will do that to you.

Honestly, has nobody here read "Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader" or "Shadows of the Empire"?

The breathing sound is a combination of the mask plus an iron lung implanted in his chest that regulates his breathing. This is why it speeds up when Vader exerts himself, and the system was damaged when Palpatine fried it, hence the wheeze. In the beginning, Vader couldn't be out of the suit for any period of time, otherwise the damage to his body would kill him. However, over time, he began to use the Force (the same way he just kept himself alive on the shores of Mustafar) to heal himself, leading to him being able to remove the helmet for a short time in his hyperbaric chambers (full of an oxygenated and medicated atmosphere), and then the entire suit for brief times, coupled with him also being able to heal his own lungs briefly, as long as his rage kept up (which was never for long).

The suit as it was originally put on him was incredibly uncomfortable. It didn't fit, it was deliberately cumbersome, and despite the fact that the technology was state-of-the-art, the hurried application of it meant that it was never working at full capacity. However, over the years, Vader himself adapted and updated the suit, and given enough time, he may even have been able to live without it.

Arawn_Fenn and minnishe like this.
  25. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Vader used the force to prevent himself from dying at the end of the Revenge of the Sith? And Vader continued to use the force to heal himself until he died in the Return of the Jedi? If that is true, then if I was Sidious, I would begin to get scared because someday Vader may remove the training wheels to his scars and murder Sidious like he did.