main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

I remember this too, it certainly is a fact ;)

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    However, let's keep in mind that (a) there are a number of grandfathered "single planet/system" seats and (b) that the Senate was expanded to allow "organizations" to hold seats as well - witness the Trade Federation and the Corporate Alliance.

3. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    appendix update is live at the official site now together with new map... I am drooling over it for hours already and no discussion here? shame on you all!

4. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    NEW MAP! YAY!

Edit: I love all the hints of stories there - the Cantons, the Grants, the Har Worlds...

5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I see the new appendix, but no new map. Where is that link?

--Adm. Nick

6. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
  7. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Every time I see that artificial border of nothingness, I curse the Expanding Universe and whoever came up with the idea of "hyperspace barriers". Other than that, lovely work as usual, Modi. ;)

Mange likes this.
  8. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Welllll, go ahead and curse the EU for the artificial border of nothingness, but the hyperspace barriers were a subsequent and IMHO praiseworthy attempt to make the ABoN make slightly more sense.

First person to ask me when the Inner Rim gets sectorized gets yelled at. ;)

RC-1991, Tzizvvt78 and Gorefiend like this.
  9. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    True. I like how this also gets adressed with a retconned retcon in the Atlas itself, with transports from exotic Wild Space and Unknown Regions planets making it through to port-worlds like Terminus. Including a picture of said port. It's just the original principle I don't agree with, since pre-90s EU had a bit more leeway (or undefined canon) in their stories. [face_thinking]

Deep Core is still on for 2016, though, right? :D

10. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Alright.

When will the Core Worlds get sectorized?

:p

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Not like the places there are unreachable, as it also explained in the Atlas, just less easy and to get to and with far less stable hyper lanes.

There is so much worse stuff we should start chunking out if we start doing so. :p

12. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Considering that travel and trade are heavily dependent on hyperspace routes - which aren't evenly distributed across the galaxy - I really don't see an issue with it. The Republic's expansion is just as much a historic result of the major hyperspace routes.

And it's good to see that the creation of "freestanding subsectors" made the problem of Candoras Sector no problem at all.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

Seconded. [face_whistling]

14. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I will say this -- when the Core gets done, the Deep Core gets done too. I think there are only eight sectors in the Deep Core or somesuch.

The Inner Rim/Colonies/Core, though, man. Tons and tons of sectors, less space, and there's very little in terms of defined sector borders or even names.

Ah well. Just another challenge!

15. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    It sounds like the Core and Colonies would be so affluent and old, there'd be a huge amount of tiny sectors, each centering around a powerful capital world. The further from the Core you get, the bigger the sectors become and the more sparsely populated they are.

16. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    I just came across an extremely obscure planet that I don't believe is in the Atlas Appendix. "R2-D2's Tales from the Data Banks," in Marvel UK's Return of the Jedi #83, is an N-canon story, since it begins on Earth. Nevertheless, the main character, Boris Bronson, builds a spaceship capable of traveling to "other universes." He then travels to an unnamed planet with advanced alien life. Given the ship's capabilities, this planet could be somewhere in the GFFA. At the very least, the planet should get a name. :-B

17. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

name it Bronsooine please! ;)

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Depends on how many sectors you need to finish off the total; if you need a few hundred, a few hundred can sit in the Deep Core!

19. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Dan, Modi, Leland and I actually hashed out the number of sectors per region shortly after the publication of the print Atlas. Was kinda fun to do -- started with 1,024 and then added sectors for Imperial expansion/administration/etc. Tziz is right -- closer to the Core you get, smaller and more numerous the sectors are. Makes sense but a nightmare in terms of making maps and coming up with decent-sounding names.

20. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Maybe a different scale for those maps, the sectors would be drawn the same size and with the same font for ease of reading.

21. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Oooooh, what about a gazetteer for Sector Zero? Beautiful work as always, Jason and Modi and Dan.

22. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    The Core Worlds seem to name their sectors after their primary worlds fairly often, which I suppose works rather well with the idea that each is intentionally centered around a powerful Core planet.

23. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    They'd also have more time to colonize and divide into various political centers given the gradual growth of the Republic over many millennia. Even in "modern times" there's great swathes of uncharted/unpopulated galactic space in-between known and populated systems and the Core is the most heavily populated parts of galactic civilization.

The concentration of known worlds would probably look better on a 3D map of the galaxy, since the disk is thicker towards the core. We're looking at more systems above and below one another, in addition to side-by-side, than in the outer portions of the galaxy.

24. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    That's what I'm really waiting for - something like the room-sized Galaxy map from AotC! Pop-out planetary/system data optional!

Tzizvvt78 and TrakNar like this.
  25. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    What I'd like to see are more "local" sector maps - like Corellian Sector, or the Koornacht Cluster region - areas where stories have been set in a localized area, a la the Grumani Sector map tie-in for Knight Errant. I would love to see more Atlas - or even Warfare! - tie-ins to upcoming works.