main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Hayden do a good job as Anakin?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Rotticus, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Hayden christensen was so cool looking as Vader![face_dancing]

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  2. Rotticus

Rotticus Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 21, 2012
    no disrespect to matt lanter but he sounds NOTHING like hayden which kind of bothers me

3. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Also, TCW Anakin has a completely different hair color than film Anakin!
    I think Matt Lanter does a pretty good job, but you're right that they sound different.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  4. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    His whole persona in ep. 3 was perfect

5. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    I thought the guy who played anakin in the original clone wars show did a pretty decent job, im pretty sure he did the voice over for anakin in the game as well.

6. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    The first TV show about the Clone Wars is very different from the current one.

7. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Matt lanter didn't have the same voice as hayden. Hayden had a whiny tough guy voice combined, which is why he was way better. Lanter was horrific as anakin.

8. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    of course, but he easily could have returned!

9. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    I wouldnt go as far as saying "horrific" but something about his performance is not believable, it doesnt feel like it is a part of the whole picture. Then again certian things they have done in that show still bother me. like anakin and dooku fighting before ROTS?!?! defeats the whole purpose of Obi Wan saying "this time we'll take him together" the fact we are currently in a 5th season and we started off with anakin in his knighthood bothers me as well. I wanted to see anakin fight in the clone wars as an apprentice and see how it turned him into the more mature anakin we see in ROTS

10. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    That statement isn't hard to understand at all. Hayden did fine. There's no need for you to separate it the two even though my statement is correct IMO..

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Hayden just isn't a good actor, but I think Lucas could have coached him better. I think the biggest problem in "his" whiny voice and his tendency to overact his scenes. And I mean that with all his roles, regardless the movie. As far as Star Wars is concerned, he was better off toning down his voice and just speaking calmly, much like Obi-Wan did in TPM.

12. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Wow. I just don't see that at all. I mean, his character wasn't sarcastically referred to as "Mannequin Skywalker" because Hayden overacted.

13. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I never really had a problem with Hayden. Of course, now, it's a little hard to watch him after Matt Lanter's stellar turn as Anakin in The Clone Wars.

14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Actually, that label was placed on Jake, not Hayden.

15. Mnhay27

Sep 4, 2012
    Really? My bad then. I always thought that was directed at Hayden. Live and learn.

Nonetheless, I don't see overacting as one of Hayden's faults, far from it. If anything, I'd say his performance in ROTS was quite subtle.

kainee and BDOT like this.
  16. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    He did a great job, it's only his dialogue (which wasn't under his control, anyway.) that wasn't always great.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN and BDOT like this.
  17. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    To be honest, although I disagree with you on the quality of Hayden's acting (I personally thought he was excellent), I do think the voice did play a role in how he was perceived as "whiny." But I don't really think that's a problem with Hayden necessarily -- I think his age probably was a larger factor there. Mostly, I can't help but compare him to Mark Hamill who was 26 when Star Wars premiered but still had a rather whiny voice at times. Hayden was 21 when AOTC opened and 24 when ROTS hit theaters and I do think his youth affected how he was received by audiences, to a degree.

kainee likes this.
  18. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    People whining about characters whining makes me laugh and :rolleyes:

19. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    From his more recent work, this is understandable. But you should watch Life as a House. Not only is it a good movie, Hayden is very impressive in that one. Now everybody hates him, but when he was a teenager, he was a respected, rising star.

Yanksfan likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He was nominated for a Golden Globe for Life as a House, and as I see it, his character in that film, Sam Monroe, was like an AOTC Anakin on steroids.

I do think that some people had different expectations for Anakin's character and the criticism regarding Anakin's character not meeting preset expectations, got transferred to Hayden's acting.

Another point, Hayden's character in Higher Ground, his only serious work (that I'm aware of) prior to AOTC, was also an angsty, angry, melodramatic teenager. I believe that characterization is what Lucas was aiming for.

I stopped keeping up with Hayden's work after Shattered Glass (and I found his character horribly unlikable in that film). I saw Jumper but didn't care that much for it; never saw Awake.

21. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    hahahaahahahahahahahah!!!

22. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    I completely agree with you, although i did enjoy jumper quite a bit....I have been meaning to see takers (i think thats what its called?) but i lost my copy of it someplace.
    I think the way george introduced Anakin in his younger adulthood gave everyone a bad impression. Your firsy impression of ANYBODY is the most important and will stick with them or a long time

23. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Lol. True. He asked a question and I answered it. I'm not saying he ruined the movie, I'm just saying he wasn't a good choice actor for the role.

24. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I don't know much about the craft and technicalities of acting, but Ian McDiarmid - a man who does! - was asked at Celebration VI which actor he most enjoyed working with on the PT and he said that he felt he and Christensen had a great on-screen rapport and that Christensen's performance was very underated. I think we can take McDiarmid's word for it!
    .--------------------------------------------

this is just my opinion and I don't claim to know McDiamids mind but I'd hazard a guess that he was just being polite there.

Almost all his scenes - 80 percent anyway in ROTS were with Hayden, so it would be quite rude of him to say

"hmm, tough one, let me think, hmmm, uhh, can't think, oh the dude who played Panaka, yeah him"

Order66Survivor likes this.
  25. Mnhay27

Sep 4, 2012
    Of course that's a possibilty, but he could just as easily have said Natalie Portman with whom he had quite a few scenes.

And he did seem sincere.