main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I saw it for the first time this week too, and I certainly agree.

2. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Are you talking about Georgie? I haven't seen it yet but it's in the book, if it's what I think you're talking about(and can be pretty much explained as altitude sickness--Zachry is basically hallucinating seeing their "devil", or Georgie, as they call him).

3. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    The Expendables. Decent popcorn flick. 3 out of 5.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Did you watch the theatrical cut or the extended/director's cut? (easiest way to tell is by the song that played over the credits- if you got "The Boys Are Back In Town", it's the theatrical, if you got "Diamond Eyes (Boom-Lay)", you got the extended).

Though it's not a massive improvement, the extended version nevertheless is an improvement over the theatrical, adding in a few more character moments and re-editing the action scenes.

I think it made enough sense- they establish enough for you fill in the blanks of events between the pieces as well as their connections.

What I took away was that the actions/martyr of Sumni-451 spark a rebellion against Unianmity over the use of the Fabricants. That results in a nuclear war that leaves the Earth irradiated and seemingly abandoned.

The survivors end up devolving to what we see on the island until they manage to contact an offworld colony to let them know they're still alive. Eventually a large fleet arrives and takes the survivors to one of those colonies, leading to the narrator bookends.

The other stories show how the various "drops" (of breaking underclass people free of those wishing to take advantage of them- the slaves from slavery, the aspiring composer from the aging composer, the reporter/blue collar from the machinations of Big Oil, the old people from the retirement home staff, the Fabricants from Uniamity, etc) eventually add up to the "ocean" that the events of Sumni's time initiates.

The only flaw to the order of events, to my eye, was if these are intended to literally be the same souls reincarnated throughout the ages, I don't think one Tom Hanks could be in 1973 while another adult Tom Hanks could be in 2012, as he'd have had to have been born prior to 1973 to be around that age in 2012.

In the film, he first manifests long before the mountain. I get that his role was meant to be the devil on one's shoulder, but it's never really addressed/resolved in the film.

Crank 2 is an insane movie, but you really need to watch it (and the original before hand- the original is not as brilliant as the sequel, but it helps understand the story and ever increasing insanity). It's the greatest, most bat****-insane action movie ever made. Everytime you don't think they can get crazier, they do something crazier. Crank 2 is one of my favorite movies of all time.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    My respect for Jason Statham increased tenfold upon watching the Crank movies. Those directors are crazy awesome.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    At least for the Crank movies, they are. Gamer was a muddled mess. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance was dichotic, though it did have some promising elements (though they were completely out of sync with the crazy Crank/Nick Cage content).

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I have no concept of why, but my guilty pleasure horror-comedy has always been The Fearless Vampire Killers. Parts are hilarious and other parts are absurd & outdated. I watched it for the umpteenth time last night after securing my compound in preparation of stormageddon. This film drives me crazy because, everytime I watch it, I enjoy it tremendously while simultaneously spending the entirety of the film considering what a foul human being Roman Polanski turned out to be.

8. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I'm one of those who loved the Crank movies as well.

9. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

THE EVIL CLIFFIE Jedi Master star 2

Jul 11, 2008
    Skyfall. AWESOME movie - brilliantly shot (even for someone who pays no attention to cinematography), wondefully acted, full of dry british wit, amazing soundtrack (including the main theme by Adele, which really grew on me), and with one of the best movie villains since Heath Ledger's Joker.

10. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    It was the theatrical version. I watched it on Netflix. Evidently they don't have the extended cut.

11. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Error. Double post.

12. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Thanks Quest, I'll give those a try. Bat**** crazy is ok every once in awhile. :p

13. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Tomorrow Never Dies.

A very average Bond effort. GoldenEye was much better.

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You're giving TND way too much credit.

15. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I'm getting out of the Moore years, with Dalton being a stopgap. TND certainly wasn't good, but it wasn't Moonraker, Octopussy, A View to a Kill, Thunderball, Diamonds are Forever level bad.

soitscometothis likes this.
  16. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Maybe. It's a shame about Pierce Brosnan. You could almost say that from the moment we first saw him a few centuries ago in his Remington Steel days, here's a guy that was born to play Bond. Yet - IMO - he was featured in some of the most ridiculous - if not poorly made - eyeball rolling,groan inducing 007 movies ever made (and GoldenEye isn't that squeaky clean either). I really can't recall any single Brosnan Bond movie that I truly, sincerely liked. Hell, I started missing Timothy Dalton after Tomorrow Never Dies, and that's saying something.

17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Brosnan's best Bonds were Goldeneye and The World is Not Enough. Tomorrow Never Dies is OK, it's certainly better then a lot of previous Bond films. Die Another Day was easily Brosnan's weakest movie, it went way too far and got silly. TND's main issue is the villain, as much as I like Pryce as an actor his media mogul character wasn't great.

But I would agree even Brosnan's worst stuff was better than pretty much everything Moore did.

18. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    The World is not Enough is utter garbage.

Darth McClain likes this.
  19. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Last night we watched, at my wife's nostalgic urging, Stephen King's IT. Suffice to say it hasn't aged well. We've both read the novel and were both fans of the TV movie when it first appeared in 1990. But despite a rousing first half featuring an excellent cast of kids, the pay-off with the semi-famous adult cast leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe it's that the events are inherently scarier when it's children involved, because belief in Pennywise is required to be affected by it. Maybe it's the goofy-looking spider that makes risible what should have been a stirring climax. Whatever the explanation, I think the film is ripe for a remake.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I've only seen a limited number of Bonds prior to Brosnan* (and GoldenEye was the first I saw) but I've realized I have a minority opinion when it comes to those movies (except for The World is Not Enough, which I think most people agree was a bland misfire). I loved DAD the most of the Brosnans (except for Jinx), followed by TND & GE (with TWINE last)-and though my opinion of GE has gone up over the years, it's impossible for me to know if that's just a result of my opinion of the film actually improving or simple nostalgia for the N64 game (since the two are inexorably linked).

*Goldfinger is the only earlier one I've seen in it's entirety, i think (easy enough, since I have the DVD)- though I've caught bits and pieces of various ones over the years during marathons on TV, etc).

21. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I did say "some": you wouldn't be able to afford making me sit through any of Moore's Bond movies. Even as a kid I knew I was watching some pretty wretched stuff there. [face_sick]

22. Darthkat76

Darthkat76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Super 8. It was ok.

23. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Seven Psychopaths. Not what I was expecting, but I did like it.

24. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Equilibrium. In a post-WW3 dystopian future, it is decided that to eradicate wars forever, it is necessary to attack the root cause of that which wars are only a symptom of: feelings. In order to eliminate hate, envy, greed and all the other nasty emotions that lead to wars and aggression between men, all feelings must be erased from the human existence.

I'm torn between giving this a 3 or 4, so I'll give it 3.5 out of 5.

25. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I've always thought Equilibrium was the movie that convinced someone at the W&B (if not Nolan himself) that they had a new Batman in the shape of Christian Bale. Funny Batvoice aside, I'm glad that person chose wisely. Yeah, Equilibrium has its flaws, but it is one entertaining kickass movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.