main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Legacy Jedi Endordude, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The winds knocked a street sign off. Damn nearly fell on me.

2. TypoCelchu

TypoCelchu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 1, 2005
    Ocean City, Maryland has already lost it's historic Pier. The mid-atlantic is expecting a solid blow and significant damage.

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    there is at least some flooding on the brooklyn side. my friend just posted this.

[​IMG]

4. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Power was out this morning before it really started. Called CL&P and they got it back on. So at least they are on top of things so far. But that was the pregame. The real show hasn't even begun yet.

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Have the retail stores remained open during this?

6. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    MBTA shut down early today, so half day for me so I wouldn't get stranded at the office. Yay. Hopefully we don't lose power so I can enjoy all the free time.

7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Saw a branch smash a parked car's windshield.

8. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Penn State - University Park campus announced it was cancelling all classes after 1:10 pm today. This is only the second time in my 8 years at Penn State that I've seen classes canceled. I am sure we'll be off tomorrow and/or Wednesday, as well. I am kinda pissed that class is canceled today because we'll have to make up all this stuff at the end of the semester. There was no need to cancel today. It's been not unlike any other mild autumn rainstorm in central PA today. In fact, it's pretty tame right now and has been all day. Tomorrow and Wednesday will probably be different, but there was no need to cancel today. Just another day we have to make up at the end... probably will push final exams around and cut study days for the law school. Yippee.... As long as my trip to Louisville isn't affected, I don't care *too* much.

9. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So all that has happened so far in Morgantown is a persistent drizzle and a few areas temporarily lost power. With any luck this will be nothing like those summer storms.

10. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Classes were cancelled at the community college I'm going to (Harrisburg Area Community College, Lancaster), for today and tomorrow. Hope they're cancelled Wednesday too. Probably will have to go into work tomorrow.

The wind is picking up here.

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Fox is saying the storm will make landfall in the NJ area in about 6 hours. You can still see an eye on the Fox rainfall display. They also just said the NY Stock Exchange will be closed again tomorrow.

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, school's cancelled tomorrow too, at least some colleges. Dunno about public school.
    Must be on the southern side. Brooklyn Bridge Park is fine so far.

13. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Everybody on the East Coast, stay safe and dry! We only have to cope with earthquakes here in California and those don't happen every year, at least not the big ones.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Fox is showing what looks like a tower crane partially collapsed in Mid-Manhattan (looks like the crane part as opposed to the tower part).

15. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Right, Carnegie 57, one of the newest and tallest buildings in the city. I can't see it from where I am because of the thick clouds, so can't comment on the crane.

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I hope it doesn't collapse any further. When they showed it the crane part was still hanging off the tower platform.

17. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Well they've evacuated the immediate area around the building in case it does fall.

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, I thought I saw emergency vehicles during the quick report. They haven't gone back to it.

I feel sorry for Rick Leventhal standing on the beach at Point Pleasant, NJ. I think he's earned his hazard pay this month.

Edit - Bloomberg TV are currently showing the crane..

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Now there's an idiot..

Since I'm heading off shortly for the evening, I hope everybody stays safe in the storm path!

21. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    There are always idiots doing stupid stuff in the middle of a storm. If that guy doesn't have enough common sense to be shuttered inside whatever hole he dwells in, then he won't be wasting air for much longer.

Watch the language.

22. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I escaped from New York! After my Sunday night flight out of La Guardia was cancelled, I rented almost the last rental car available at Newark and drove home to Chicago with the wife and kids. My family in NYC lives in Tribeca in the evacuation zone, but they decided to stay put. I spent most of Sunday morning helping them get stuff out of basement storage and bring furniture and plants in from their balconies. Then we got a car service to Newark and hit the road about 3 pm yesterday. Rainy drive through PA and OH. Now the local news is talking about predicted 23 foot waves along lake shore drive in Chicago.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It's actually not horrible outside right now. Calmer than this afternoon and nowhere near as hellish as it will inevitably turn out throughout the night. My dog was loving our walk, but Boston's are strange animals. Gonna be a fun couple of days. I just walked to pick up a pizza. Last meal before we inevitably scavenge and resort to cannibalism after society collapses.

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  24. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Work is cancelled for tomorrow! YESSSS! Now as long as I don't drown, and as long as we don't lose power, I'll be fine.

25. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Power went out again a little before 4. Still in Pregame really so CL&P got it back and running again. Definite improvement over the last hurricane by them but we'll see how things go after the real show ends.