main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Just a word of advice...FREEZE WATER while you can! Get every tupperware or plastic jug and fill it with water and toss it in the freezer. When Hurricane Isabel hit the east coast I was far enough inland to not get any damage...but the electricity was off for over a week. Everything in the fridge rotted and I ended up having to throw away a lot of the stuff in the freezer. If I had ice I would have kept the freezer cold or I could have put food in a cooler. Also, if you have a grill make sure you have propane or charcoal. When the power went off our electric stove didn't work. So we spent the week grilling up the food from the freezer before they spoiled. We had water since we were on city water, but if you have a well make sure you have bottled water. I hate hurricanes.

2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I went out and bought 6 gallons of water and a bunch of food stuffs that don't need to be cooked and I plan on getting more (if places aren't sold out!)when I get off work. I do this for the winter anyway, the Frankenstorm just made me do it earlier. I'm used to surviving blizzards, but this is the first time I've lived near a costal area during a hurricane.

Between me and all my roomates, we have to TON of games so I know we'll be able to entertain ourselves if the power does go out.

3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh dear. I hope everyone in that area stays safe.

I'm lucky to live in the rocky mountains, very little happens here, besides blizzards. We had a small one last night and got a good 8 cm of snow. I hope it stays cold enough so that it doesn't melt, the roads are dangerous enough as it is.

4. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Not sure what to expect here in New Hampshire, to be honest. I got some water and flashlights are all set, and some non-perishable food. Just from the area of projected impact we won't get the brunt of the storm. Outer reaches at most.

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I have no transportation of my own, so I asked my dad if he could run me into town so that I could get some bottled water and canned stuff. He said no. [face_plain]

In the meantime... time to find some containers and freeze some tap water...

6. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Good luck to all of you back east dealing with this. I went through several hurricanes in '04, so I completely sympathize with gathering supplies and taking shelter.

7. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    o/` Here I am! Rock you like a hurricane! o/`

\m/ >o< \m/

And on that note, I'm going to dig my boots out of the closet, find my socks, and go to bed, so that way I can be able to assist my downstairs neighbor if she needs anything.

8. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    Call me crazy, but I am kind of excited. This will be my first hurricane!

Campus is shut down, the metro is shut down, the buses are shut down, and me without a car. I'm not going anywhere. Though, I'm still supposed to be working remotely and attend tonight's class via the internet. Though, the hurricane-force winds are supposed to hit right around class time, so we'll see if the power can make it through my two and a half hour class. Ha. I am feeling optimistic. Even so, I'm still going to get that paper done. Oh, grad school.

9. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Er . . . I was under the impression that being online during a storm could be hazardous to your PC.

10. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Oh, a little lightening doesn't hurt anyone/thing. :p

Seriously, though, lazy is right. I'd skip being online when the hurricane strikes. If they're too stupid to understand that hurricane + internet = trouble, then they shouldn't be teachers/school administrators.

11. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Part of why I came to New York was to get away from Hurricanes.....:(:(:(

Fortunately, Syracuse is only expecting high winds (about 30 MPH, with wind gusts up to 50MPH) and possible power outages. We are not being advised the outages, if they happen, will last for days to weeks like the New York City area. I'm grateful for that.

Hope everyone in Sandy's enormous path stays safe.

12. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Definitely glad I stayed home from work tonight.

13. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    My kids want me to go to the Assassin's Creed Party at midnight at GameStop so I can get them their preordered game. o_O Yeah, that's not going to happen.

We have 50 MPH gusts out here in Michigan. That must be a crazy storm on the East Coast for it to be felt so far inland.

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Right now, it's windy and rainy. We still have more days of wild weather ahead, but the news said that the worst should be behind us now.

15. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    I'm in Ohio, and the winds are pretty strong here, too... have been all day. Though it doesn't seem as bad as Ike when we lost power for over a week.

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Meanwhile in Western Canada... it's been snowing for the past 72 hours, and we are supposed to get another 10-15 cm of snow over night. While the rest of the world is suffering from 'global warming', we are going into the next ice age.

YAY WEATHER! (that was sarcastic).

17. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I want snow...:(

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I want snow, too, and I might be getting snow tomorrow, courtesy of Sandy. Granted, it will be windblown, mixed with rain, and piling into drifts if it lays...

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    All this snow makes me think Christmas is coming, yet it's still like two months away :(

20. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Yeah, my parents are all the way in western Ohio but are still having crazy winds. This whole storm is beyond nuts.
    On top of that, my husband and I have family in southern VA, the DC and Baltimore areas, and eastern-ish PA, as well as friends in northern NJ.. yeah, this storm makes me nervous. :( Some of the pictures coming out of Manhattan and parts of coastal NJ are shocking.

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    We won't see the sun until Friday! And there's flooding abound. Cleanup is going to take a while...

22. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    I hope your family is okay. My fiance's sister is in Florida, and she texted us this evening to see if we were okay. I guess it's because of the Appellations between Ohio and the east coast protecting us from the full brunt, but even though this hurricane seems worse than Ike in the scope, we aren't having as severe winds as we did back then.

Yeah, the flooding is always worse than the winds. Keep safe.

23. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I saw a picture of the roof being partially blown off the science center at my alma mater in Ohio! Crazy!

Even LA is getting in on the weird weather by having any, at all. :p I don't think it's been this foggy at any point since I moved here. But I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for all my New York friends- I had one on gchat until she disappeared, presumably because her power finally gave out. But she says she has enough food, booze, and books for the duration, so I'm hoping for the best.

24. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Ha... when I was in HS (in Ohio), we would routinely have 2 hour delays or entire days off of school for fog. People generally look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them that. But NW OH is full of humidity and damp drainage ditches, and my district included some treacherous rural areas. Not a bad way to get a day off school.

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I can recall a few fog delays and cancellations, but I can't recall when they were. For some reason, though, I seem to recall it happening at some point. The mists get pretty thick here, too.

As for the hurricane... The eye is approaching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.