main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.5 - Tipping Points - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Killing Steela seemed extremely pointless. Then their was Lux's sudden willingness to follow the Republic.

Very rushed ending I'd say.

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    You have some mighty "dirty glasses" from what I observe! :p Be it a tiny flesh wound or arm piecing wound, I'm not surprised it took her a moment to absorb what happened (guess she wasn't aware of everything around her). If she didn't have an "ouch face" I'm sure a lot would be claiming "Mary Sue."

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  3. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    This was a great episode. I am pleased that the CIS did a lot of damage and I liked how Kalani killed Rash. It was nice to have Hondo included in this episode and the separatist gun ships were cool. I am also happy that Kalani retreated instead of ending up getting destroyed.

4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I thought we had a precedent that failing Dooku means you either get shot in the face or stabbed in the back.

I'm pretty sure Ahsoka was shocked she failed and her new friend was dead. This is par for the course with Ahsoka's magic girl trope. She was also probably shocked she hadn't lost an arm. =b

5. Inblackestnight

Inblackestnight Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2012
    This is probably an accurate comparison Seerow, or at least it should be anyway. The CWIS is a 20mm minigun used to shoot down missles or close-proximity aircraft, isn't that much smaller than the GAU-8, and is on most US Navy ships. A standard blaster bolt resulting in a simple flesh wound is one thing, but as Garth Maul said this was pretty blatent bulletproofing. A couple other possibilities mentioned on this thread: such as a commando droid instead or the gunship shooting the ground nearby, would be more believable IMO. Ahsoka really did show some decent maturity during this arc, but I don't think this particular scene was well done in terms of both adding drama and providing her with a life lesson, since she will likely blame herself for Steela's death when it was such a contrived sequence of events to begin with.

6. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Thanks. I've seen the anti-aircraft guns on the U.S.S. North Carolina in person. The 20mm 46 singles would have blasted Ahsoka to bits. I think they should have just taken Ahsoka's arm off which would have been a little more believable and added to it. Imagine getting an arm blown off and still filling guilty? Losing an arm doesn't seem like a big deal in the GFFA. The commando droid bit would have been fun to. But working with what we got.

7. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Watched the episode. It probably was the best in the arc, though I still didn't care too much about it. It just seemed like filler. I think Lux should've died instead. Hondo's "Very handsome" line cut off is still awkward. Music was good though.

And lol at the former-king's rushed and random death.

"But what about--" ZAP *falls dead*

Kalani: Can't you see we're moving ON now? We're done with this Onderon arc!

Esg likes this.
  8. Anakin_Prime

Anakin_Prime Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2005
    I actually liked this episode. I am glad to say it for once, it has been a while for me. [face_party]

9. Inblackestnight

Inblackestnight Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2012
    I got 5 alerts for this one quote Seerow, and I'll probably get two more in as many days [face_dunno] I know that issue is being worked on but jeez...
    Anywho, I used to work on CIWS, before I moved to bigger things. I wasn't personally looking for dismemberment but yeah, loosing a limb is not a big deal in GFFA. If her presence in the Young Jedi arc was for recouperation purposes I might be a little less annoyed by this whole thing, as well as her being seperated from her master yet again, but this clearly isn't the case at all; judging by the trailer and the fact she was fine with that small bandage and medical device.

10. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    They should've done like a little party dance or something to celebrate the end of that and more crap to come on the way.

11. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Lol, unfortunately I'm a mod not a web admin. I get a ton of dupe alerts as well.

Inblackestnight

I'm not looking for the dismemberment of a 15 year old girl or whatever either not to mention she can only get kill off once (err twice) so when the time comes the writers need to use it wisely. "Young Jedi" chronologically will come before the Onderon arc so we don't have to worry about the injury. We could easily fanon that Anakin is off hunting for Maul or something.

12. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Or he could be on another 'meditative leave' with Padme. [face_sick]

13. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Hah, insert Robot Chicken sketch here.

14. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    You know, if there's one major thing this arc accomplished it's that it made me feel bad for the Separatists. I mean sure, the true king was usurped but the occupiers were not actually harming or oppressing anyone, right? Maybe if they showed some droids knocking down a fruit stand or kicking a puppy instead of just walking around and inspecting cargo I would care more.

15. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012

You can believe what you want of course. But Filoni did not install this triangle for no reason. Ahsokas and Steelas Body language showed us how much these two females challenged each other. It was nearly hate against an unloved Opponent. Filoni loves it to put some Spice (like Hondo said) into his Directing.

16. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012

That shoulder wound/scar will propably play a role again in the future.

The CIWS (Phalanx sounds way cooler) is of course a powerfull projectile weapon but if you compare it to the main weapon (Harpoon Anti ship cruisemissiles or SM3 antiaircraft missiles) than it is weak and has a short range. Its the last line of defence for a war ship.

also it fires with an enourmous repetition of 3000 rounds per minute. Thats the destroying power against incoming objects. Ahsoka was just hit from 1 single round.

[​IMG]

Phalanx work with the Gattling gun principle. several barrels rotating while firing.

But the barel on the HMP gunship Droid was just a single barel

As a said some lines above there is also a difference between Blasterbolds and the projectiles we know from our world which are mainly made out of lead.

Blasterbolds have a much higher penetration and velocity. the higher the velocity is, the shorter the contact time with the pierced object. that meas shorter influence of kinetic energy, shorter influence to the parts of the body, which is around the piercing point. i dont think tcw crew making any mistakes when it comes to simple GFFA physics. they have experts for this in their staff.

17. GeneralCIS

GeneralCIS Jedi Master star 1

Oct 23, 2012
    A great ending to a slow arc. Including Hondo in the arc was great. I would have liked to have seen Hondo take out few of the droids. The droids were finally made to look a threat which was a treat. The Separatist gun ships did alot of damage which was good. I hope we see the gunships in future episodes. I was pleased to see Kalani execute Rash. I hope we see Kalani again in the future.

SeparatistFan and DM99 like this.
  18. smuggler_vola

smuggler_vola Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2012
    I have a question for you guys:

Do you think Steela was a good character and what did you like (or not like) about her? What could have been done different?

19. TheVortex3

TheVortex3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2012
    I think that Steela was a pretty good character. I liked her leadership skills with the rebels. And I wouldn't have done anything different.

20. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    Pro:
    Good Leader
    No fear
    Smart thinking

Contra:
    Full of herself
    Arrogant at times
    Reckless

I think she was a bit like Ahsoka. Just more extreme, characterwise.

TheVortex3 likes this.
  21. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    She was a very well done character. I did not quite like her brother, Saw, and if I'd bet on anyone to die, it would have been him.

22. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    Are you writing an essay on this or what?

23. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Steela was pretty boring, I thought, moreso after she became the leader.

Btw, did anyone else think she looked too.. happy, when she was dead? I guess you can't expect any blood in this show, but she didn't even have any dirt or any sign that she'd been through a battle, much less fallen to her death.

24. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    Its because Moms and dads can tell their under aged children that steela is tired and needs to sleep it off.

I also think that steelas face should have not been showed to the camera at all. Would have been much more realistic and makes her death more dramatic.

Lux accepting her death so easily for his own goals (gaining more power and support of the Onderonian people + GAR against Dooku and the CIS), made her death look a bit more dull than it already was.

Hopefuly Saw will someday come back and give Lux and Ahsoka a hard time for using his sister as fuel for their relationship...[face_not_talking]

Ahsoka and Lux need an own horrible death for this. [face_phbbbbt]

25. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Didn't see a huge difference between Saw and Steela TBH.

As pointed out last page, didn't see a huge difference between CIS occupation and regular Onderon.