main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Continuity Snarl Celebration thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The novelization at least had allusions- the Petition of 2000, Padme telling Bail to "keep on doing all those things we can't talk about" (but to support Palpatine in public) and so forth.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Oh my personal PET snarl.

The complete absence of COMPNOR in the EU.

Seriously, aside from the ISB (and it never really shows up), it is almost NONEXISTENT.

What's up with that?

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  3. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    As my good friend, Chris, said about those deleted scenes, "Yeah, why would we want to see the Formation of the Rebellion?"

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    To qualify as "snarled" does it have to be something that makes previous material impossible/implausible- thus leading to "clarifying retcons"?

Boba Fett's being the leader of the Mandalorian Supercommandos during the Clone Wars (Marvel) might therefore qualify- (since the movie AOTC made him 10 at the time)- with the retcon being "It was Spar really- Shysa lied about it being Boba".

5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    A snarl basically comes in three packages.

1. Something becomes actively impossible.

2. Something becomes implausible.

3. Something happens which changes the meaning of older material.

Basically anything where a retcon or clarification is necessary.

So yeah, perfect example.

Another would be the The Clone Wars episode where Savage Oppress kills Adi Gallia before Grevious does. You could fix these with a retcon very easily like Master Krunchy's death. Adi isn't actually dead, she's just in a Jedi trance. You could also change the placement of Obsession with Adi Gallia surviving GREVIOUS and Ventress eventually coming back to work for Dooku before betraying him later.

Neither retcon, however, should be necessary.

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I recall from the later Marvel issues that it portrayed the Empire as having mostly surrendered- with only a small group following Lumiya.

from Heir to the Empire onward, the Empire's decay was portrayed as much more slow.

Similarly, in the Corellia trilogy- there's people being skeptical about the very existence of an Imperial remnant- with even rumours of little fleets being treated dismissively. Then Specter of the Past came out and the Remnant was portrayed as moderately powerful.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Even Piell isn't actually dead... just very badly burned!

8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    It's called the Clone Wars for a reason, people. :p

More seriously...

There is always the tried and tested Zathras method.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    *retcon hat*

Even Piell used a force illusion! Because...SECRET MISSION!

Yeah, I got nothing.

Edit:

Oooo, wait, it's Even Piell the Younger!

TrakNar likes this.
  10. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Marvel drew a lot from Flash Gordon where the Empire wasn't really a Nazi-esque government per say but a Flash Gordon-esque despotism. It's not really what we see in the movies but the general idea is that the galaxy is largely independent but for the Emperor and his goon squad keeping everyone in line.

But yeah, this also fits in with The Black Fleet Crisis where the New Republic is completely different from what we normally see.

11. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Maybe they don't even need to explain Even Piell... They could all of a sudden have Rostu "remember" that Master Piell was killed in the Clone Wars--then have him just as confused as we are as to who or what he actually saw during the Coruscant Nights book...

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Darth Vader hired a actor to play the role and taught him the Force.

No, seriously, he's done that before.

Gorefiend, Zorrixor and Ulicus like this.
  13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    That's not incompatible with events as we see them. The chaos of the Empire following Endor and Anx Minor was such that the Empire is, for all intents and purposes, gone. That it consolidates and recovers isn't an issue with prose, simply assumptions made by the Alliance do-gooders.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    The problem with that is the sections that are from Piell's POV, not Rostu's.

15. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Unfortunately I'm glad one of those scenes was deleted. The one in Padme's apartment is awesome, until GL's blue daughter says her lines. :rolleyes: You can tell she is either reading cue cards or had her first acting lesson the previous day. Or both. The PT has enough problems with acting why add to it?

FYI I'm not against directors using family as extras, but I draw the line at dialogue

16. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Exactly. And not only that, but it's not exactly the most well-developed "formation of the Rebellion" plot.

"We're putting together an organization." Yeah, you do that.

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    This is compared to the rest of the movie?

:p

ROTS, sadly, remains my least favorite of the films.

18. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I am also one of those saddened by them being cut. I remember watching them with my friend and we both agreed that they were better than all or most of the scenes left in the movie.

I also enjoyed Anakin and Obi-Wan's code conversation.

19. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    They just should have given Bail more scenes, period. I've always suspected that casual fans didn't know who he was until he said "I will take the girl." He wasn't named in Episode II, and I doubt if anyone who didn't read starwars.com or fan websites at the time knew that he was more important than the other Senators hanging out in Frank's office. He was called "Senator Organa" twice in Episode III, but the thing is, most casual fans don't actually know Leia's last name.

Lucas could have ensured that everyone watching knew who he was while also giving him some use as a character if we had seen Obi-Wan actually serving under him in the Clone Wars. Or if his constituency planet had been visited in Episode II or early Episode III, or if it had even just been mentioned. Hell, casual and hardcore fans alike would have loved to have seen more of Alderaan. Bail was such a waste of potential in the prequels. He was a generic background character until he showed up at the Jedi Temple and the audience was told he was important.

Tinwe likes this.
  20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Waste of potential, mishandled characters, and failure to properly set up storyline developments? Welcome to the prequels, Jeff.

21. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Serving him, not serving under him.

22. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Even serving Obi-Wan pie would have been an improvement.

Tinwe likes this.
  23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well it had to be as a Senator since Obi Wan was a GENERAL.

24. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I. for one, would like to have seen pie served to Obi-Wan.

25. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Imperial bureaucracy in general never really seems to show up. We actually have more known Moffs than planetary governors for that matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.