main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Forget panicking, I'm celebrating.

JediDingo likes this.
  2. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    What the pfargtl?

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Another example is Star Trek. When they said they were redoing Trek with recasted roles of Kirk, Bones and Spock, people were wary. Then Abrams was announced as directing, people started to wonder. Then they cast Quinto as Spock, opinion tilted again. The actual film? A big and very smart success.

I wouldn't put it past Disney to get someone in who has a very strong track record and can do something unexpected yet also meshes well with existing stories. I seriously doubt Disney has any interest in doing an Alien 3, no they'll want movie ticket and blu-ray sales from Episode VII and the EU sales and will see no reason why it has to choose!

So, I am cautiously optimistic despite the very limited info about the next film.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  5. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Not necessarily. Disney owns Marvel but Disney owns a lot of stuff. Marvel publishes very little franchise material and may not even want the Star Wars license. As I posted above Disney actually lets Marvel pretty much continue to do its own thing as long as it remains profitable. They MIGHT get hands-on involved here, but they might not.

6. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Please Continuity is screwed. Now while I doubt the other trilogies will get rebooted anything that happened after the OT is in serious trouble. Still with any luck at least this will cut down on everyone being a white male or at least I hope it will but its hard to do worse then current Star Wars Lit.

7. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Because, for the first time in seven years, we're doing something genuinely new.

Also, it means I probably won't have to care about TCW anymore. :p

8. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    In a delightful twist of irony, once the license changes the only part of the EU that will carry over to the new canon is the original Marvel comics.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I doubt Disney will mess with a successful status quo, which is what the DHC deal represents. They might, however, wait until the deal reaches its end point and then say to Stradley and co: Why don't you work for us directly now? No more being limited to 4 SW books a month!

Master_Keralys likes this.
  10. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Mostly, I am curious as to why this happened. Star Wars is doing well financially I believe, and Lucas always hated the idea of not having absolute control over his creation. It is why he made his own company in the first place.

Also, can they really get another Star Wars movie made so quickly? And what is it even going to be about....

11. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004

Even Lucas's own face looks unsure about what he's signing away in that photograph.

If it wasn't for Episode 7, I might not be bothered... but if they were going to do this, couldn't they have just stopped at TUF and spared us the waste of money that has been the past few years? I feel sorry for the good authors and writers like JJM and Ostrander and Fry who have and still are scheduled to release fantastic material... if it all goes down the pan, what was the point in Fry spending all those long hours compiling such awesomely detailed sourcebooks?

Oh well. At least I can get my life back and start reading something respectable.

instantdeath likes this.
  12. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Guys, this is going to sound horrible.

Prepare yourself.

The EU is not real.

It doesn't matter if they kill Luke Skywalker in the first five minutes.

There's still hundreds of stories where he lived to a ripe old age in Legacy.

Let's take that into account.

JediDingo likes this.
  13. TypoCelchu

TypoCelchu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 1, 2005
    The sad thing is, that's probably the ONLY thing you'll have to care about after the merger. I guarantee Disney keeps pushing that childhood cash-cow.

14. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Weeeeeelllllllllllllll...this might be a good thing.

Continuity might survive.

But it might not.

New Star Wars films could be really good.

And they might be terrible.

George Lucas is retiring, which is positive.

Does anyone know anything about Kathleen Kennedy?

I want Mark Hamill back as Luke.

The future is uncertain.

This has been a free form reaction post. Thank you.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  15. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    If they give me back pre-TCW Mandalorians I'll bend the knee to the Mouse.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Look, echoing Charles' post to a degree, whatever happens - will we find a way to make it all work? Yes, we will, we've been doing it for a very long time now, 20+ years!

17. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Late 2015 should be doable enough. As for Lucas control depends on how his contract works. Disney lets Pixar and Marvel run pretty much autonomously.

18. JediDingo

JediDingo Jedi Master star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    This. This is good for Star Wars. So what if we get new continuity. Does that mean the good stories we have read mean nothing? No, they are still good stories. I'm really hopeful about this.

19. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    Wow, couldn;t believe it when I saw it... I did think I had skipped to April too...

This can't be good for the EU... [face_frustrated]

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I like your take much better than Typo's.

Master_Keralys likes this.
  21. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000

vong333 likes this.
  22. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Excuse me while I pick myself up off the floor. Marvel "may not even want the Star Wars license"?? Are you serious???

Lets ignore the fact Marvel had it first, this is a property with a surety of minimum sales, which will only increase in the lead up to a new movie. Of course if Marvel can take the license they will.

The difference is whether or not Lucas Licensing will operate as independently as it does now and therefore that will be where the control will sit.

23. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Hearing this news while trying to make it through the godawful mess that is Apocalypse has killed any sense of optimism I might otherwise have.

So, forgive me if the above doesn't comfort me at all.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I am actually without words.

Holy carp.

25. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    It could be good, it could be bad. I could end up very sad.

darth fluffy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.