main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Why not both?

2. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Yes, because something they had likely been planning for weeks, with careful inclusion of various media outlets to have a wide saturation of the story is going to be postponed. The conference they have been doing and all the articles would have been set in motion before Sandy was generated and if they held off, the story would still be out there right now, but not with Disney and Lucas in charge of the narrative. Besides which, this is more than a US-centric story.

3. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    When in doubt, look to the wisdom of Star Wars:

"You can't stop change any more than you can stop the suns from setting."
    -Shmi Skywalker to Anakin

cratylus likes this.
  4. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Does this mean Leia is now a Disney Princess?

5. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Honestly not sure if me gusta.

6. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    It would seem so.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    THinking about this, I'm willing to get this is about copyright. Disney has been the prime driver in having copyright laws amended to extend the period between the death of the IP holder and when it reverts to the public domain (obviously with respect of MIckey Mouse et al). It's beyond reasonable in the US and purely designed now to allow DIsney to retain exclusive rights to those characters because of the revenue their image generates. In all probability Congress is going to find it hard to amend copyright laws even further because of this one entity, so acquiring Star Wars exclusively for at least another 100 years makes sense from Disney's point of view.

8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    This is like being 60 years old and suddenly learning you're going to be a father again and have to/get to start the whole process of raising a kid for the next two decades or so.

Also, all the lookie loos coming to the Forum right now to talk about SW.... ugh, they're totally slowing down my access to our Circumcision and Doctor Who board.

9. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I can't be the only one who's cautiously optimistic about this? I mean, of all the faults of the prequels, the largest was George Lucas' directing and script. Presumably he'll have little input beyond that of an advisory capacity. Personally, if I were in charge I'd be on the phone to Joss Whedon offering him anything he wanted to do it.

cratylus and TheRedBlade like this.
  10. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

MrZAP, solojones, Juliet316 and 2 others like this.
  11. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Also, will the Star Wars universe be a part of Once upon a Time?

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I couldn't be happier. Well, unless Nolan announced another Dark Knight trilogy, but this is pretty close. To quote one Bart Scott, "Can't wait."

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I am not so concerned about Disney, they are a fine company who have largely been non-interventionist with Pixar & Marvel allowing them to flourish with their own creative teams.

My worry is they have already nnounced a new movie, part of the same series as the current Saga. Given they have only 3 years it suggests production will start very soon, that suggests they already have a story idea. The OT cast are either too old to do more movies or dead, and having new movies about seperate characters would defeat the point of the movies being about Skywalkers (it is supposed to be about Anakin's life and once he died there is no more to tell).
    I have no problem with Old Republic movies or post-NJO movies or whatever, I just hope they do it well and don't turn it into horrid kid's stuff.
    It does seem rushed which is the thing that bothers me

cratylus and MrZAP like this.
  14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes because Lucas' diligent work over multiple drafts of the prequel scripts really ironed out the plot holes and terrible dialogue. More time = more quality, QED.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  15. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    yea, pretty much my first reaction.

i'm really not sure what to think about this at this point. my question is who are they going to recast the main characters as? who gets to play han? who is derpy enough to play luke? how can you replace billy dee williams? just stuff like that is really what i'm wondering right now.

and also, if things will go the kiddie route and really suck. because if that's the case i probably won't be watching them.

oh, as to the boards being slow? umm... yes. they've been extremely slow for me.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Were you guys not around for the EU before TPM? TPM shattered most of it then too. EU will adapt and most of those terrible stories (i.e. the entire Troy Denning catalogue) will be wiped from continuity. Richly deserved.

DIsney owns Marvel. Marvel made the Avengers. It's not all doom and gloom.

cratylus and Jedi_Hood like this.
  17. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Apprently they've been drafting plot ideas for almost six months, and they're farming the actual writing out to other screenwriters at the moment.

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    YANA!

19. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Wow. I took a nap and came back to this. Wow.

20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    What of the planned Live Action Series? Would Disney as a child-centered company really allow a darker more adult-focused show to be made or will we simply get more Clone Wars?

I assume the proposed Boba Fett film Lucas was against will be approved now.

21. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Apparently they've been drafting plot ideas for almost six months, and they're farming the actual writing out to other screenwriters at the moment.

22. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    oh. hi ender.

personally i don't have a problem with the denning books so much. but what i'm concerned about is that it's all going to be nonexistent now.

and TPM only screwed up stuff from before the movies, not really anything after. i hadn't read that much of the before stuff, other than the han solo trilogy and the daly books.

23. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Where is this info coming from?

TheRedBlade likes this.
  24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ritchie, Lucasfilm will be a wholly owned subsidiary of the Disney corporation. Like, Pixar, like Marvel. I doubt Disney has any creative input into their subsidiaries, unless a creative direction would wholly damage the reputation of the parent company.

The mistake you make is assuming the films would be released under the Disney banner. I can see why you've made that error, but it's a fairly superficial and naive one.

25. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    My initial gut reaction was "Ewww why?" I mulled it over and am slightly intrigued but still, I've never felt more ambivalent about something in my entire life.