main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Disney buying Lucasfilm????

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by ObiAlKenobi, Oct 30, 2012.

1. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Disney is buying Lucasfilm for 4 billion dollars. Wow. Is this good or bad?

I think this is the right thread to post this. Sorry if I repeated it.

2. Lord Starwalker

Lord Starwalker Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2012
    Wow, it looks like they are getting all of the Lucas companies:

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-news/press-releases/2012/10/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd

This could be very bad or very good. I am unsure about this announcment, but I am worried and kind-of excited at the same time!

3. Hutts Can't Run

Hutts Can't Run Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 1, 1999
    My jaw has not dropped so low for so so long... Episode 7 in 2015....:eek:

4. Durroness

Durroness Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 4, 2002
    This is excellent news! I can't wait to see what the people at Disney are planning, but it's sounding like they want to make multiple movies. I don't even know a word to describe my excitement!

5. Pauldowney

Pauldowney Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2012
  6. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The end of the world is near!

BlenderWars likes this.
  7. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I suppose it's time to kiss the Expanded Universe goodbye.

BlenderWars likes this.
  8. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    This is completely unbelievable. And this forum needs a new category: Episode VII, VIII and IX.

Wow. I never thought I'd type those numbers and have them refer to actual forthcoming movies.

9. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    OHMYGAWD!!
    Only 4 billion?
    But seriously...
    OH MY GOD!!

10. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Episode 7: Jar Jar's Revenge
    [​IMG]

11. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Wow. The guy who stated repeatedly he hated corporations taking over the film industry sold out. :( Good for the survival of the company (when is Disney ever going to go away?), bad for all the other independant filmmakers out there. We just lost our biggest advocate. :_|

12. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Their turning Star Wars into a new James Bond franchise. The news artical I read, they're not only set on making Episodes 7 through 9, but afterwards, a new movie every two or three years. And Indian Jones... well, they can probably now name it: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Mouse!

13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The implications are huge. I'm still processing the new Star Wars sequel trilogy news!

14. Wesley Smith

Wesley Smith Jedi Padawan

Oct 30, 2012
    At first, I was not pleased. But when I thought about being on these boards and anticipating a new Star Wars movie, my excitement increased exponentially. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

15. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Everyone please keep in mind that the chances of the original actors reprising the roles are going to be next to nothing. If those characters do return, they'll probably be recast. Somehow, I doubt that Harrison Ford will be to thrilled to get a call asking to reprise the role of Han Solo. He'd probably tell them, in his usual manner, "Take your script and ram it up your nose!" LOL!

If I remember correctly, I don't think Harrison actually liked the role of Han Solo. I could be wrong with that though.

I'm excited about a new trilogy, and there is only one thing I'm demanding from Disney right now. "Bring me Mara Jade Skywalker onto the big Screen and don't kill her off!" Well... maybe I can also demand, "Don't you dare bring the New Jedi Order to big screen." That series of book began to the downfall of the expanded universe, in my opinion, by killing of Anakin Skywalker and Chewbacca.

16. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    What was the highest grossing EU novel series for Star Wars? Zahn's Thrawn trilogy? I would love to see these books adapted to the big screen. And who cares if they have to use new actors, right?

17. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Amen to that! That's what I want to see as well!

18. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The entire Expanded Universe? Not in the face of Armageddon.

19. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    It just wouldn't feel like Star Wars if it's the same characters with different actors. It would just be weird

20. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Disney is everlasting, join or perish.

21. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    Ummmmmmmm.....

More Star Wars is ALWAYS good. Disney - well that can go either way. On the whole ---more SWU = GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

Where is my Cade Avatar??????????????????????????????

Like the new digs tho :)

22. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    Am I the only one not happy about this? This is bloody ridiculous. It's not going to feel like a Star wars movie but a Disney popcorn flick.

I am truly upset, especially if EP7 does not utilise the original people who made all Star Wars movies possible. Disney are scum bags they will take this and go their own way just to make a buck and they will kill the Star Wars name.

23. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    No, you're not the only one. Millions of people cry across the globe over this. However, it's amazing how people are thinking Disney will be stupid enough to give us a POS Mickey Mouse movie. That's not smart business, because Star Wars fans make up a huge, and I mean HUGE, percent of the gross for these movies. If it sucks to the point were it's generally viewed the worst Star Wars movie ever, it will cripple business for them.

It's entirely possible that EP7 has been in the works, at least in the minds of the people at LucasFilm for at least a year, especially GL.

However, the reason this happened was because they simply don't have the money to make a new SW Film, that's why we've seen so many re-releases, the 3D releases, TCW continuing its marketing reign, etc. It has been obvious for the last year that they've been trying to make money to make a 7th, 8th, and 9th Star Wars movie. Any speculator could have seen that a Episode 7 was coming.

It's clear though, because we're seeing the 3D releases bundled together that they really couldn't make enough money for an Episode 7. Disney though, does have enough money. They're the ones who have taken ownership of the movie, but that does NOT mean that the people at Disney are going to write this, direct this, and organize this. They will have a hand, but it's going to be the people at LucasFilm working on this. This benefits everyone economically. LucasFilm has joined Marvel Studios and Pixar as owned by Disney, and I'm glad. They now have a much larger budget.

24. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    So far, Disney has done okay with Marvel. Just look at the Avengers! Officially, that was Disney although paramount still had their logo. If they can do well with Marvel movies, then I'm sure they'll do well with Star Wars.

And if you asked me, the novels have already started driving Star Wars name down in the mud. Just maybe Dishey can breath some new and fresh life to Star Wars again.

25. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008