main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Hai!

Yeah TPM also shot through large chunks of the holy Zahn trilogy too. The EU will adapt, though the willingness of fans to jettison contradictory or unworkable solutions will creative some interesting challenges (we can't have the four competing stories about how the Death Star plans got to the Rebels filtered and only one true one agreed upon, so we'll come up with convoluted, idiotic and unbelievable scenarios that shoehorn them all in, yayayayayay!).

But in reality, how much would your enjoyment of the material be impacted by this news? In the unlikely event that they decide not to name the Solo kids Jacen, Jaina and Anakin - will you have suddenly not enjoyed the stories when you read them before you knew it?

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Since the Big Three likely won't appear, the post-RotJ EU will be mostly irrelevant. These films can happen without contradicting much, actually.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Though I'm cautiously optimistic about how any of these future films will turn out, I'm so ******* happy about everything else. It's been a blast today here/on Facebook, and regardless of the raging about specifics (concerning the film), the thought of having this place return (well, maybe not exactly, but still) to how it was for many years during the PT is very exciting/hopeful for me. I ******* happy/am loving this.

Thrawn1786 and Todd the Jedi like this.
  5. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    There's going to be an episode 7? YAY!! I think....

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    George Lucas said in the video that he has detailed outlines for Episodes 7 through 9, which he sold to Disney, and that he'll be working as a creative consultant on the new Sequel Trilogy.

Lucas said in the same video that the Sequels will build on the EU books/comics.

Thrawn1786 likes this.
  7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    As someone who has never, ever considered the EU canon, I can't help but be happy about that prospect. Some of the EU is good fun, but a movie series should be beholden to the movies, not the books (oh yay, we get to start canon wars all over again!)

Disney used to own Miramax. This didn't stop them from making incredibly mature stuff. I don't think people understand what one media company owning another really means.

cratylus likes this.
  8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The import thing is that these boards will be relevant again, and we will be as gods!

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    He even mentioned the books and comics in that same sentence. There's hope for canon yet.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  10. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i guess i didn't notice anything with the thrawn trilogy.

no i wouldn't not enjoy them. heck, i'd probably still read them again. but it could make it where the entire thing doesn't even exist anymore. that's typo's biggest concern, and honestly mine.

why is everyone making the assumption that the big three won't show up? wouldn't that, in some ways, defeat the biggest draw of a post ROTJ movie?

MrZAP likes this.
  11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    before the prequels came out it was impossible to imagine them being bad. now my perception of star wars has gone completely the other way to the point where i really can't imagine this being good. yes, the fact that lucas isn't writing or directing gives it a small glimmer of hope. but the prequels still exist, star wars is forever tainted.

Debo likes this.
  12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I can't imagine Harrison Ford ever agreeing to appear. He did Indy 4, but I think his view toward Han Solo is less charitable.

13. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    if you're talking the actors, then no. i don't see how they can be used. i was more thinking the characters. seems rather obvious that they'll be recast.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Agreed, though he might as he mellows a bit with old age (still mumbles a lot with old age; see also: Garman, Ralph).

Really from what I remember hearing you'd only need Hamill and after the Joker, he could probably do with the work?

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    harrison ford would do it. he pretty much only acts for the paycheck and doesn't even watch his own films. i really don't think he gives a ****. look at the other films he's done in the last ten years.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    HOLLYWOOD HOMICIDE WAS ACE. SO WAS MORNING GLORY. Though, misleading title.

If not, Dennis Quaid is a passable Harrison Ford these days...

17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, that's a good way to make fans hate the films long before they're released.

I think it will be more akin to a reboot, long into the future and will an all-new cast (with perhaps cameos). I can't imagine them not leaving open the possibility for Episodes X-XII if these things make enough money.

Only time and grumpiness will tell.

18. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    So... I, Jedi, the movie?

19. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    @ guy: i'd have thought most of us had made peace with the fact that the big three were too old to ever show up in a new movie. if not we certainly should have.

Thrawn1786 likes this.
  20. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    So...much...PT hate spewing. UGH![face_tired]

Bowen likes this.
  21. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Maybe they'll do it much further in the future, after the OT characters are dead.

Also, what of the 3D releases? Are they going to be dropped or keep running? Bearing in mind the are likely to still be running in 2015 which will clash with the new movie.

Billy_Dee_Binks likes this.
  22. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't see why those characters are even necessary.

23. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Lando Calrissian Junior!

rumsmuggler, MrZAP, Frank T. and 2 others like this.
  24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    If they didn't want to be hated, they shouldn't have been terrible. It's simple as that. :p

Also, I equally dislike the revisions and edits to the classic trilogy that Lucas has done since. They just diminish great films; the prequels weren't ever great, you see. :)

25. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    the actors, i agree. the characters, i don't see how they can really expect that much of a draw without them honestly.