main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Disney Buys LucasFilm: Star Wars 7 Planned To Release 2015

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by jaoblias, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FORCEFED

FORCEFED Jedi Master star 5

Nov 27, 2002
    r.i.p. snowball

2. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Maybe this means 1>Joe Johnston will get to do the Boba Fett movie he wants to do 2>We will get a DVD release of the Hoilday Specail 3>Howard the Duck will replace Donald Duck

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Unless this is the actual final adventure of the Big 3 set after Crucible

4. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Maybe this means 1>Joe Johnston will get to do the Boba Fett movie he wants to do 2>We will get a DVD release of the Hoilday Specail 3>Howard the Duck will replace Donald Duck

5. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    What does this mean for 1313, Underground, and Detours?

6. Hutts Can't Run

Hutts Can't Run Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 1, 1999
    So Lucas has passed over story treatments for 7, 8 and 9... his own words. Again, I'm still struggling to work out if this is good or bad news.

7. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Morgoth has escaped the Void through the Doors of Night and soon Dagor Dagorath, the last battle will come! The old world will be broken and there will come a second Music of the Ainur. The new world will be better than the old one ever was!
    -- quote from J.R.R. Tolkien, maybe slightly modified by Adrian the Cool

Summer Dreamer and Rew like this.
  8. Jaina_Solo_15

Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 5, 2002
    I think it depends on how much you like the EU. Because I have a feeling, if you do like the EU, it's getting screwed in this. Whether they try to work this into EU canon as it stands or they just ignore it completely, neither one is going to work out well for the characters that I, at least know and love.

Now if they took it in a new direction and focused on characters we'd never seen before...I might love that. But the odds of them screwing up their money making property by doing that is very slim.

Only thing I'd be even slightly looking forward to for this is the minuscule chance of seeing Mara Jade on the big screen. We could haz that?

9. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    I was so shocked by this my hands literally went numb for a secondd. Is GL trying to kill us? I am thrilled and dismayed. Like if someone dear died and you accepted it and moved on then they are laive but of course ot the same person anymore...

10. Jedifirefly5

Sep 5, 2012
    I was so shocked by this my hands literally went numb for a secondd. Is GL trying to kill us? I am thrilled and dismayed. Like if someone dear died and you accepted it and moved on then they are laive but of course ot the same person anymore...

11. Jedifirefly5

Sep 5, 2012

12. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I'm dismayed. Disney Studios creating new STAR WARS movies? I don't know.

13. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    No, please no more movies! Unless they follow the EU, and even then they'll screw them up. :(

14. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Episode 7: Jar Jar's Revenge.
    [​IMG]

15. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    There goes Star Wars. Everything dark about it is going to be dumbed down so the kiddies dont get nightmares.

16. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    This can only end in disaster.

17. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    To hell with the EU. I never liked it. I don't think future Star Wars movies need to play by the rules of the EU.

18. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I'm looking up at my framed lithoprint of the original SW poster; below it on a small shelf are 14 Kenner action figures from the 1980-1981 line. The rest of my SW books and figures are in storage; earlier today I was looking at them in their boxes thinking, "Should I take these back to the new house? Naaaah... what relevance do they have in my life anymore?" And BAM! The instant I get home, news of a new trilogy and beyond.

I am THRILLED! THRILLED, I tells ya!!!eleventy11!!1

=D= [face_dancing] [face_laugh] ^:)^ [face_love] [face_party]

19. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'll wait and see.

20. JLG

JLG Jedi Master star 1

May 11, 2005
    Today I canceled the Star Wars comics I'd been following and decided to step away from the franchise as a whole. Not out of spite or anything, but because I came to the realization that "my" Star Wars is kind of...over. Growing up, it was amazing to find that there was more out there. Everything from comics about the ancient history of the Sith to novels about the galaxy in the years following Return of the Jedi consumed my imagination, and on top of that there were even more movies on the horizon. It was a great time to be a fan.

Ever since then, though, the magic has kind of faded for me. The prequels didn't live up to my expectations, but they still paved the way for a lot of great EU material, and that's been my lifeline for the past several years. Thing is, a lot of that stuff doesn't mean anything now, since the Clone Wars TV series threw out a ton of material I'd grown to really appreciate.

If a TV series can disregard canon and mess with continuity so much, imagine what a new trilogy would do. With the Clone Wars, I got over it and kept going because that era of continuity didn't mean as much to me. But to see them throw out Mara Jade, Thrawn, Yuuzhan Vong...there's just so much about the post-original trilogy EU material that I'm just too invested in to be able to just stomach that it now means nothing.

So...it's been fun. For a lot of people, October 30th will mark the day that their dreams of new SW movies came true, and that's great. But for me, it marks the end of an era. "My" Star Wars has been slipping from my grasp for the last decade, but today, it's officially over. There's just no way they're going to respect the legacy the creators of the EU have set: they didn't when they made the prequel trilogy, they didn't when they made the Clone Wars series, and they certainly won't now. So I think it's time to close the book on Star Wars and just be glad I was able to enjoy it for as long as I did.

21. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    This is Disney we're talking about. What good can possibly come of a Star Wars movie under their control? Yes, Disney has made some good movies that are not kids movies, per se. The first Pirates of the Caribbean was EXCELLENT. But they don't have the best track record with serious movies. I envision an Episode VII like Episode I but with way more sugar.

22. Embo

Embo Jedi Knight

Mar 27, 2010
    Gotta give it to those Mayans. They were only off by two months...

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  23. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    This could either be really good (doubtful), or really bad. I'm thinking bad.

24. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Every cloud has a silver lining. :)

I was chatting about how awful the blu ray changes were the other day on the classic forum and how Lucas has seemed to have given up and stopped caring post Red Wings. I got a lot of heat for it.. but it turns out it was completely 100% true. George is packing it in and throwing away his creation.

Could you imagine JK Rowling doing this? Tolkien?

I will, of course, watch the films multiple times. Just to make absolutely sure they are bad. I think I may feel worse if they are really good.

UKS

PS My BIGGG fear is sequel films which do the unthinkable and KILL OFF Luke or Han or Leia or Chewie (ala the bad books) - I am not sure my little 8 year old boy psyche could take that... it was supposed to be "happily ever after". :(

25. TheStorm

TheStorm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    How could this be bad? GL is done with it lol. Disney has been getting really good...know that movie The Avengers....? Ya that was them. They own Marvel BTW and they've done great with that. I'm super stoked with a new Star Wars with little Lucas influence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.