main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Depends on how you mine the treasure trove really.

After all, Lucas has used that same treasure trove for TCW, and the response has obviously been mixed.

2. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Thats pretty much tells you that for now the license is with dark Horse, but with the sale to Disney, it will only be a matter of time when they shift the license back to marvel. I'm thinking that this will be done later on when the new movie gets ramped up. They'll concentrate on new stuff and not do so many other stuff before ROTJ. This is my thinking, so I do beleive that there is a substantial chance that star wars will be at Marvel under Disney, but still controlled by Lucasfilm. Weird, but yeah. Like I have said, lately Star Wars comics aren't selling a lot, just the usual despite the price point increase. Marvel by far is the highest selling comic book company constantly beating DC. Not all the time, but most of the time. Either way, I won't be upset becuase Marvel has Geoff Johns and I would love for him to do a star wars story. He is that good and more. Marvel also has very good writers. No matter what things really look good for star wars.

No more worrying about bashing the clone wars heh, or GL must go stuff![face_devil] Now most of the die hard none changing loytalists have soemthing more to worry about and that is the reboot of star wars to bye bye Dark Horse.

3. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    no adaption of old stuff, ol

no adaption of old stuff only new stuff

4. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    [/quote]
    This is what I want to see.

Sitara likes this.
  5. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
  6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm all on board for a Tim Burtonized Thrawn Trilogy.

Johnny Depp Thrawn? Bring it on.

Ulicus likes this.
  7. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    thats
    that is what will happen eventually, and don't think that the people of Dark Horse did not know or suspect something, cause why are they going out to do other stuff? Avatar anyone, Mass effect and other projects they haven't alked about yet? They suspected something

8. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    >Legacy
    >Old
    [​IMG]

9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    With Helena Bonham-Carter as Gilada Pellaeon.

10. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Titmouse Studios do a lot of Disney shows these days. A 2D animated series from them might be fun.

The more I think about it, the more possibilities I see. :)

11. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    Wow. Don't really know how I should feel about this. Kinda having a bad feeling about it.

The EU, and most importantly the Post-RotJ EU, was what kept my interest in SW alive. Continuity and canon are only reasons why I am still such a big SW fan. I've invested so much time (and money) into this universe over the years. If they're going to throw continuity over board, I see no more reason to buy essential guides or similar books. Not even sure I'd keep on buying SW comics or books at all.

If they're really going to ignore the post-Endor EU, I guess it's time to put Star Wars on my Murtaugh list and be finally free of this obsession.

Abadacus and lukemaraben like this.
  12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So that happened.

Really hope LFL isn't forced to swap the comic license to Marvel after DHC's contract is up...

There's a vague chance only post-NJO material would be affected (Episode 7 has a good chance of presumably being set at least 30 years or so after the OT (as the PT was 30 years earlier), as they'd likely want to try to use Old Luke but won't be able to use Old Han Or Old Leia (and they cant recast, at the very least, Han, since we KNOW what a 30 years later Ford looks like)), which would help prevent a total catastrophe. All depends. We'll see.

Let me be the first to advocate the viewing order of 7/4/5/1/2/3/6/8/9.

Master_Keralys likes this.
  13. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    IF they do as they said, and keep the EU continuity, then it might not be so bad. Maybe Shannon McRandle can actually play Mara for real? Because that would be so freaking cool.

14. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    When I first heard the news I was not happy, but the more I think about it this is what's going to keep Star Wars alive, maybe they will change some of the EU, or even reboot. But they could keep the current continuity seperate from the movies.

I am looking at it like this, aside from the movies do you really think Disney will screw with the current format? Its proven pretty successful so far

15. TypoCelchu

TypoCelchu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 1, 2005
    If they manage to handle this in a manner that respects fandom as it stands now, and keeps continuity relatively stable (I don't expect 100% faithfulness in any scenario), Disney will have made a fan in me. If not, they'll have just confirmed my general opinions of them as a corporate giant.

16. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Some more info, potentially - though be aware the source is reasonably reliable but still basically a gossip site:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/10...what-they-bought-indiana-jones-and-tv-series/

(Note: indicates that Disney bought extensive treatments for Eps 7 - 9, suggesting the movies are roughly based on Lucas' existing ideas).

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/10...n-but-not-write-or-direct-new-star-wars-film/

(Some information about how long this has been planned - vaguely for 5 years, imminently...not for long).

Master_Keralys likes this.
  17. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    We'll just wait and see I guess. We've survived worse (I think). And heck if it works out then great (new Tie Fighter game would be more likely with GL far away from the decision making).

I simply hate how these bombshell are just dropped on our heads.

18. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    does anybody remember what we talked about less than 6 hours ago? Me neither after I realized this is no halloween joke..

TCW.. LOTF.. heck.. all unimportant compared to the DEATH of STAR WARS and EU with THUNDEROUS APPLAUSE.

how I hate that. and I am usually no hater.

and if Marvel returns to the SW license after Dark Horse... I can already feel the laughter when old Marvel comics rise to canon status and Dark Horse stuff is lost to infinities.

19. Magnuskn

Magnuskn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    >Legacy
    >Old
    [​IMG][/quote]

That about sums it up.

20. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    At the risk of showing how divided the fanbase is, WHY would we want them to introduce the next generation of Star Wars to a drug addicted mercenary pirate protagonist? We should want them returning to clean cut PG Star Wars.

Master_Keralys and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  21. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    God. Fu**ing. Damn it.

Or something more elegant that expresses an equal amount of rage. "Plans to release a new Star Wars film every two to three years for the forseeable future"? Suddenly the thread immediately under this one, "Star Wars is dead", is sounding much more believable... obviously not commercially, you know very well what I mean.

But I'm mostly being overly dramatic because I can. I'll wait and see, and if I hate it, deny its existence. Easy to do that with work of fiction.

22. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    When I first heard the news I was not happy, but the more I think about it this is what's going to keep Star Wars alive, maybe they will change some of the EU, or even reboot. But they could keep the current continuity seperate from the movies.

I am looking at it like this, aside from the movies do you really think Disney will screw with the current format? Its proven pretty successful so far

23. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Bah, forget Thrawn, who do you want as San Hill?

Seriously, just like ROTJ set up the PT's villain, the opera scene in ROTS was obviously setting up the Sequel Trilogy's true mastermind all along. :p

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  24. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    Well I don't really know what to think of this new situation. Heck I just got the Complete Saga on Blu-Ray the day before. Will the thousands of dollars I've spent on Star Wars mean NOTHING NOW?

I hope they try and respect the 30+ years of continuity and EU, but who am I kidding?

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yes, Lucas said in the video that he already had detailed outlines of the Sequel Trilogy, and recomends that they build off of the EU.

So, what open ends from the movies could be explored in the Sequel Trilogy?

I'm now nearly certain that CRUCIBLE is being written as the bridge novel.

I also fear we're going to hear a lot more about Mortis and Cyborg Maul...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.