main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[NaNo] -National Novel Writing Month- Over for another year. :(

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Oct 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    You know how I said I wasn't going to do NaNo this year, in this very thread? I am a lying liar who lies. I blame LA for having awesome regional meetups and not wanting to miss any of the fun. Also, I have stuff I want to write, and I know I want to spend November writing it, so why wouldn't I jump in on the insanity?

It's all fanfic this year, good times. I've just about finished my epic, so it's time to move on to the next chapter in the story. :D

mavjade likes this.
  2. spycoder9

spycoder9 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2008
    Okay, so I've decided to give this another go! Scifi epic for now, but of course that could always change before next week.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Looks like they might be on the track to sorting the email problem. I got a Nano mail overnight about a regional meet-up.

4. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Okay, I decided to give it a try once more. This time I already have an outline of a SW epic AU involving Galen Marek/Starkiller from Force Unleashed. A friend of mine had requested that I write a different ending to the first Unleashed story/game, and I thought up a whole new story around it instead of just the ending. I wrote the outline, but never did start the actual story. I guess this will give me a kick in the pants to do it. LOL

Or perhaps I should do that Samurai Champloo/SW crossover I'm talking about in my siggie. [face_thinking]

5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Partcipants list updated! Yay for those who have been swayed by the insanity!!

Discussion:
    Getting close now! What are you doing to prepare? Research? Stocking up on caffinated bevrages and snacks? Telling your family and friends you won't be seeing them for a month? Still trying to find a plot?

6. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    Haha, all my friends already know they're not seeing me until February, pretty much. :p But that's because work his barrelling into the Insanity Zone, whereupon my life disappears and I come up for air in another three months.

That said, the best preparation I can do now is cleaning. My apartment is still in a state of explosion from my New York trip, so it needs some serious love. I've taken a couple of days to be lazy, but the time has come to suck it up and just clean all the things. I will be less distracted writing if I can start off in a clean space. I should also stock up on vitamins and healthy snacks, since getting sick really puts a damper on writing, and I'll be working a lot, so I should just be nice to my body.

I'm also doing some basic planning in a google doc, which is happening largely during the slow times at work. I'll transfer it all over to Scrivener once I get started. Oh, and I should take my laptop to the Sony store to see if my warranty covers the TSA putting a GIGANTIC crack through my monitor, because mobile writing is hard when you can't see large chunks of your screen. :mad:Yeah. That was a great discovery.

7. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I have been doing research on Wookieepedia and taking notes. I am trying to put together an outline, but I still haven't figured out a complete plot or how to end the story.

I don't need to warn my kids I may be busy. I could disappear in my office all night and the kids wouldn't notice because they are busy killing zombies on the PC and in the next few weeks they are going to nag me into buying the new Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty (I think those are the ones they want...I'm sure they will make it quite clear to me in the coming weeks).

I write at work when I am not busy...which is often. But business has picked up lately which should make me happy because it means a paycheck, but I am more upset about it interrupting my fanfic writing time.:p

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Word to the wise - don't forget about backing up your work. If you don't have something to back up onto (like a USB stick), now's the time. I wouldn't rely on just cloud/online storage either - what if you can't get to it?

9. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't have any preparation plans, like always. I should top up my Starbucks card though, as I'll be there every weekend except the first (I'm at a wedding in London). I tend to do research as I'm writing. It's probably not the best way of doing it but as I don't plan I don't know what I'm going to need to look up. I still don't have any plots or ideas, but I'm sure I'll come up with something.

And I agree with LAJ_FETT on this. Always back up your work in as many places as possible. The official store has these nifty wristbands with 2GB storage in and 'My Novel' written on the outside. I like mine and will be using it a lot this November.

10. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I've done a little bit of research, but not a whole bunch considering I'm still not sure what I'm writing. I'm debating between doing a rewrite of a NaNo novel I wrote a few years ago with a few new ideas and maybe a different POV and a story that would be against the 'rules' as it's creative non-fiction.

I met all my roomates last year at NaNo write-ins so I don't have to worry about them thinking I'm suddenly anti-social. We pretty much always have a stock of caffinated drinks (Coke Zero, coffee, tea) and snacks so I don't think we'll need to get anything extra.

I'm really upset that my local Meet and Greet for NaNo is tomorrow and I have to work. :( I would so totally recomend going to write-ins if there are any near you. Not only do you meet awesome people who are just as crazy as you, but it really pushes you to reach a word count.

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Closest ones to me are usually up in London (and in the evening) so I normally pass as I really don't want to be coming home on train/Tube on my own late in the evening.

12. Book-Geek

Book-Geek Jedi Knight star 3

May 28, 2011
    I'm debating whether I do NaNo this year. Nope. Debate's over: I'm doing it. I don't see a reason not to: I have no schoolwork, and currently no job (Correction: no PAYING job; my mom still uses me as her House Elf, but she's also the one paying for my college so, yeah.). I have a great idea for a story, and I'm hoping I can flesh it out. Provided I don't get too caught up in the fanfics I'm working on.

Anyone have any suggestions on what a reasonable word count goal is for a YA novel? The one I did two years ago was 43,600+ words and was 166 pages, and I'm expecting this story to be much longer, but I don't want to set up an unreachable goal, especially because I'm hoping that I will have a job before too long.

As for preparation: I have tons of notes everywhere. I've written out the basic biographies of my trio (the story being told through their POVs). There's some work I need to do to the outline and my minor characters, I want to finish the map of the island I created for the story, and I'll be sporatically doing various ammounts of research as needed. Fingers crossed this all works.

13. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    I'm excited that, since I won't be working at Stupid Early-o-clock in the morning this year, I can actually go to the Midnight Blast-Off! Though I won't be able to make it to the kickoff party, since I have other plans. Still, I'm definitely looking forward to NaNoing with other folks. It's way more fun that way.

14. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    Have you done NaNo before? Yes and I'm on a winning steak.
    How many times? This is year three.
    Have you won? The last 2 years
    What is your advice for someone who has never done NaNo? Write - even if you don't feel inspired. Attending write-ins is a great way to get connected with fellow writers in your area.
    NaNo name? NataLekku

My region's kick-off party was last night. It was good to see some familiar faces and a bunch of new ones.

15. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I got a title and a book cover (I am not sure how to make this picture smaller).

My NaNo screen name is JL88.

I don't know if this was mentioned in earlier posts, but my local Wrimos group gave out this information. It is about a writing application called Scrivener (for both Mac and PC). This is a program to organize a novel. I downloaded it and it is pretty cool. The program is giving a free trail for NaNoWriMo that goes from whenever you download it until December 7th. The link is:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/nanowrimo.php

From what I read, if you finish NaNo you get 50% off the normal price of the program if you decide to upgrade. If you didn't finish you get 20% off. It is regularly $40. There is a ten minute tutorial that really helped. I really was impressed by the program.

[​IMG]

16. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Participants list updated!

Nice cover, J_L!

I've used Scrivener for several years and I love it, it's a great program. (I have it for mac so I don't know how it works for PC) I got it for the 50% off when I won a few years ago as a reward for myself.

Anyone planning on starting at midnight?

17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    You sound like my sons yesterday. "Mom Assassin's Creed can be bought at midnight! Go buy it at midnight." I told them I plan on being asleep at midnight.

mavjade, do you know if you can sync Scrivener with another computer? I have my Mac desktop and a PC laptop. I guess I could save the file on a flash drive and upload it between the two computers or use a dropbox. It would be nice if there was a Skydrive that I could save to and it is there no matter what computer I use (as long as my computer has Scrivener).

18. Book-Geek

Book-Geek Jedi Knight star 3

May 28, 2011
    I would like to start at midnight, even if I'm only at it for thirty minutes.

19. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    I plan on starting at midnight - going to go join some local nanowrimos for the big count down.

I love Scrivener ( I have the PC version). I started on the beta version and then purchased it with my NaNo win discount when it was released. It is so helpful for the way I write to be able to easily rearrange (without having to copy & paste).

20. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    *chants* one more day; one more day...

I'm so pumped, I can't wait to start!!

I'll be sleeping at midnight since I have to be up at 5 the following morning, but I plan to start as early as I can!

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'll be starting tomorrow morning. Just doing laundry and cleaning today to get it all out of the way.

22. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    I'm hitting up the midnight blast off party, because I work late and this is the first year I actually can! I'm looking forward to it. :D

23. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    AARRGGHH!!! It's October 31st and I have no plot ideas, no character ideas, no nothing ideas, and absolutely nothing to start with!! I feel doomed . . . or I would do if I wasn't in the same position the last umpteen times I've won. 8-}

24. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    I'm going to give it a try this year for the first time. See what happens. :)

User JayCeeBee

25. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    RedGold, don't you have a fanfic to finish?![face_waiting] Finish your L/M fanfic today before you get busy!! I could give you some hints on how it should end.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.