main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Disney buying Lucasfilm????? Star Wars goes on?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ObiAlKenobi, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm still overwhelmed by all this. Lucasfilm sold to Disney is big enough news...but more Star Wars too?

Yeah! [face_dancing]

2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    The thing is, I'm not at all sure I want Star Wars to live beyond George Lucas. George Lucas IS Star Wars for me. And I always thought/assumed/hoped that Star Wars would be left as the fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker and the Saga would die with its creator (though obviously the six movies would live on)

This news is such a shock, because its blown away all the assumptions I had about what would happen with Star Wars through the rest of my lifetime.

Lady_Skywalker87 and Dorme like this.
  3. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    If you are right then I'm interested in seeing & sharing new SW. If it has Anything to do with the saga we have now, forget it, it'll be just like transformers a wash, it is just too many ways to do it wrong.

4. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I DON'T want any more Star Wars movies. I love the Saga, and it tells a complete story. For me a Star Wars film is more than just a movie with a name on it. For me Star Wars is George Lucas. Star Wars is John Williams. That's why I never cared about The Clone Wars (I never saw the movie), or the TV series, or any EU stuff and I don't care about these movies either.

Lady_Skywalker87 and Dorme like this.
  5. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I kept saying over & over Id like to see disney do a starwars movie for that exact purpose to unite the saga & make it more a unite. They need to go deep into the future with story though or redue the saga altogether.

6. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

7. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    I have to say I am a little nervous at it all. The thought that Lucas won't bewriting the next set of Star Wars movies leaves me a little empty inside. One of the things I have loved about the movies is that you can count on Lucas' way of using mythology, and motifs of telling his story. One of the reasons I don't care for the Animated Series Clone Wars is that way of story telling is missing. The Animated series is more centered on the adventure aspect of star wars rather than the story telling aspect. Which the series should be, as it is for kids. I am just nervous that Disney will try for more the adventure oriented side rather then the balance that Lucas had..

Lady_Skywalker87 and G-FETT like this.
  8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    If they pick Whedon I'll officially bury my Chief Chirpa action figure, throw away my copy of Super Star Wars, and endlessly bask in the nostalgic days gone by of the Matrix trilogy.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  9. Jimstarwarsfan

Jimstarwarsfan Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    WOW indead! I see this flash up on the news. Really exciting. I hope they have hamill and other actors in the new movie. I can't see it a bad thing disney taking over from GL. Fans have got what they have wanted for years. more star wars.

10. Jimstarwarsfan

Jimstarwarsfan Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
  11. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    I really liked John Carter.

Random Comments likes this.
  12. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I can see myself now giving negative reviews to future starwars blu rays before they come out under multiply screen names like those other nutcases ywho did it on amazon.

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  13. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm so torn about this.

I'm thrilled that the Jedi Council will get to live on indefinetly and may once again claim its rightful place as one of the biggest websites on the Internet, but at the same time I hate the thought of Star Wars without Lucas for precisely the reasons mikeximus outlines. Without Lucas we may well lose the mythology and the motiffs that makes Star Wars the unique series it is and takes it beyond things like The Matrix and Spiderman and Tranformers.

However, maybe, just maybe they will go in the direction of Lucas handing down his knowlage in mythology to someone that wants to keep that an important aspect of Star Wars. As Joseph Campbell passed his knowlage on to Lucas, maybe Lucas will now pass that knowlage on to someone else and keep these motiffs an integral part of the Saga.

But if its just Sith Lords running around with Lightsabres slaughtering everyone, count me out....

I don't know, my mind is blown right now.

mikeximus and KenobiSkywalker like this.
  14. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I am excited, but I'm nervous about the sequel ramifications. Please do not bring back the Sith! Even if it's a 1000 yrs after. I want Anakin's story to matter.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  15. ShelbySpencer

ShelbySpencer Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2012
    They are saying he will still be creative consultant on the next three films at least. I think this is a good thing.

16. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Don't forget BEN BURTON another major part of the 6 film saga. Wow the OOT lusters PT haters sure are quiet on this thread ha ha I've only seen 1 of those guys come out on this topic lol...very interesting.

17. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I can already envision what a post of mine on this board will look like in the year 2018:

Curse you Disney! Just give me my O-O-PT in HD microchip implant! I just want the magic back. I just want the beloved Gungan battle back where it belongs. This is not the Star Wars I used to know. I am sad.

18. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    With a decent production team and a good script (maybe loosely based off of the Thrawn trilogy) this could be pretty slick. It's not like the bar was set very high with the prequels.

19. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Even though my SW experience definitively ended with the Revenge of the Sith credits, I can't help but feel saddened by this.

Oz without Baum.

Bond without Fleming.

Marlowe without Chandler.

Star Wars...without Lucas.

Inevitable but inconceivable, nonetheless.

CaptainHamYoyo and G-FETT like this.
  20. venepe

venepe Jedi Master star 1

Feb 25, 2004
    I will feel better once some details about the ST are revealed. I need to know how the new movies are connected to the Saga.

21. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Creative consultant isn't the same thing as writing it. He is a creative consultant on the animated series, but others are writing the stories...

22. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Oh I hear ya, I agree 100%.

But its ok because at the end of the day we know that no matter what happens with the ST in the future George Lucas's Star Wars Saga will go down in history for generations to come.

The important point to be remembered here above all else is that There is no longer any PT vs. OT.

Lucas finally eliminated that with this move. Instead now it is going to be:

OS (Original Saga) vs. ST (sequel trilogy).

Now its the ST that will be constantly judged against the OS (Original Saga).

If anything this finally, finally solidify's what Lucas has been saying for years now. That the Star Wars Saga belongs to him and not anyone else. So now the fans can spend all their time and energy getting mad at the ST and try to take collective ownership over the ST which doesn't belong to Lucas as much as his Saga that he told does. Its Disneys problem to try and please these people now.

And 50 years from now after Disney has had its trys the thing that will be remembered as the "True Saga" will be the Original Saga that was created and told by a man called George Lucas.

Brilliant move by Lucas. =D=

DarthKreVass and G-FETT like this.
  23. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Thunderous Golf Clap!

24. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    There is still OT vs PT, there may only be Saga vs post-Sage when we're all dead and forgotten. But this hasn't made me change my mind on whether or not I like the PT that's for sure! But I am sure looking forward to seeing what happens from here!

25. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    It's amazing that people are throwing this away on principle, we have no idea what to expect. It could be so terrible that I refuse to watch Star Wars ever again,

Or it could be amazing, well done, and a true tribute to the Star Wars franchise. If you're going to throw it out because Disney's footing the bill, that's your choice. LucasFilm is still producing this, which is what people are forgetting.

We've got something to look forward too the next few years as we watch the development begin.

Welcome to the era of the ST, the Sequel Trilogy, love it or hate it - we will once again in 3 years be sitting down to watching 'A long time ago, in a Galaxy far, far away..' and then BOOM, the music starts. Some of us are going to love it, some of us are going to hate it.

This is how the ST would begin btw, since Fox won't be involved.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.