main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Liverpool denied victory with disallowed goal that wasn't offside, and United win with a goal that was.

Regarding the United-Chelsea game: I think Torres may have his sending-off reversed on appeal, I can see why it was given but replays now seem more in the striker's favour. Plus Clattenburg gave a yellow to Valencia for diving when he was obviously body-checked and knocked down. The Hernandez goal was understandable enough, Cech was in front of him and 3 defenders were in a line right next to him so it would have been pretty hard for the linesman to see the position of the striker when the ball was delivered as it happened pretty fast and he was coming out of the goal.

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Won't get reversed. You cannot appeal a yellow card.

Fergie and Evans are morons for saying there was contact but still deserved a card. Rules are VERY clear. ANY contact = NO card. No exceptions.

But in better news,

Gloucester City's FA Cup match on Sunday is being shown LIVE on TV!!!!!!

But only on Fox Soccer Plus, so my American friends, you get to watch my local semi-professional team

3. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    If a player gets contact but runs another 10 yards then falls down, that is a dive and they should get a card. Torres didn't do that but if it was deemed he could have gone on after the contact but instead chose to go down then I think something needs to be done to discourage such behaviour
    Torres might feel hard-done-by, but he could well have had a red anyway for his chest-high tackle on Cleverley.

I assume Sturridge will play up front for Chelsea now, I would personally pick him over Victor Moses

It is a shame the game was overshadowed by some poor decisions and now investigation of the referee, it was a good game overall with two teams giving it their all. Often such games can be boring 0-0 draws so this was a welcome change.

4. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    As you say, Torres didn't do that, so that's all irrelevant. Who would be stupid enough to dive when already on a yellow anyway?

I believe that he will only miss one match (2 yellows) which will be Wednesday night - a game in which he was unlikely to feature anyway

5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Chelsea have the chance to avenge this defeat in that game, both sides will probably not field their best teams (especially United given they play Arsenal in the league). I think had United lost they might attempt to take wednesday's match more seriously but now I think Ferguson will most likely use guys like Anderson & Fletcher as he would in european matches.
    Chelsea shouldn't play Luiz in that game though, he really doesn't strike me as a great defender and often seems uninterested.

The game does tend to balance out overall in its own sutble way. Had Suarez's goal against Everton stood he would have won the game which would have been a bit of a slap in the face to Everton given he arguably shouldn't have been on the pitch to score that goal given the nasty tackle he did. His legit goal being disallowed therefore makes up for the failed earlier decision, so two wrongs made a right to an extent.

6. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Two wrongs make two wrongs.

7. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Clattenburg really did have a mare of a game. he's a pretty **** ref tbf.
    I so thought Chelsea were gonna be down to 8; how he figured Valencia dived when he was well and truly bundled over is beyond me. think he'd just completely lost his head by that point.
    refs obviously have had some kind of pre-weekend "target the divers" session. predictibly went a bit OTT with it.

8. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    He certainly went downhill towards the end of the game, shame as he appeared to have a decent first half performance.
    To be fair, apart from the two diving cards and the supposed innapropriate language (which if proven he certainly should be banned for, fired even if he was racist) he made the right call regarding Ivanovic and the offside was the linesman's fault and not his.

9. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    any news on what he supposively said to Mikel?

10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Not that I've seen, still mainly talk about the fact that the other officials can ehar everything that is said and should give evidence against Clattenburg if indeed he did say something bad. They have a duty to be truthful, it's a shame in a case such as this that what the officials say is not recorded during a match.

11. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I expect he referred to him as "black" which the FA have already said is a racist word. Ban him for 4 games, and let's all move along. It's getting stupid now.

12. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Phil Neville says, don't dive.

halibut likes this.
  13. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    If my provider offered Fox Soccer Plus, I totally would. But I can't even get regular Fox Soccer.

14. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Football Manager 2013

Well I'm playing the demo at the moment which is obviously a foolish thing to do as I'm already breaking my rule of only trying the even numbered versions.

Initial views are.

The GUI has been updated, it's similar to 2012 but feels a little but more logically laid out.
    The live updates that appear on the screen when the game updates is clearer and easier to read and follow
    The team layout, training screen and tactics screens have been updated and are easier to use.
    The 3D match engine appears to be smoother on my "slow" system and I've not noticed any glaring issues with it so far.
    The new tactics manager in the live window is easier to manage as well.

It is still monstrously unrealistic, I've started as QPR and we have just signed Anderson from Man Utd for £4.2m!!!! and we are being mullered by Portland in an American tour.

Then again it was a Rob Green own goal that started their goal rush so maybe it's not as bad as I think.

So far I'm happy with it and will seriously be considering my even years only rule.

15. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Double post

16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Arsenal 7-5 Reading, impressive.

17. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yes, but if it happens in the Capital One Cup, does it really count?

18. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Hurray for Double Posts!

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Yes, but if it happens in the Capital One Cup, does it really count?

20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    A win is a win, and a fightback is a fightback.

LOL @ Arsenal fans who left after 38 minutes, missed one heck of a game.

If anyone bet on Arsenal winning at 4-0 down, I salute them.

21. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    I can only assume its Wenger's stubbornness why he still refuses to take the LC seriously. Fair enough playing the kids when your priority was winning the league/competing for CL. Now Arsenal are competing for 4th place. Surely it would keep the masses happy if he won a Cup of some sort.

As for Chelsea, I sincerely hope their accusations are founded.

22. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Actually, it was Reading 5-7 Arsenal. Important point.

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003

24. Everton

Jul 18, 2003

25. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    You don't have to tell us that three times, once is enough. :p

26. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I blame posting from my phone. :p

27. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    EDIT: lol

28. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    If they did, they'd have lost. For the bookies, it was a draw.