main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm finished rejoicing. It's still fun watching you people cry, but I was just pointing about that people hoping that Pablo will help keep continuity in tact, are setting themselves up for a fall. Do you honestly think a huge corp. like Disney is actually going to take the time to make sure they respect EVERY SINGLE EU story? or are they just going to make a great Star Wars movie that respects the ideas and characters that have come and gone?

My feeling is that this will be a sequel to ROTJ. With a new cast, and a new story. This story might take elements used in the EU, but it won't abide by the EU. Means either recasting for a story that happens only a few months to years after ROTJ or an old Luke,Han, and Leia. Either way post ROTJ continuity is disgarded.

EDIT: the biggest worry for the majority is that will these films be better than the PT, not whether The GLOVE OF DARTH VADER is written over.

2. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    If they didn't rearrange Marvel. they won't try to fix what isn't broken with continuity

3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I don't want to say goodbye to the EU...

But if this gets rid of Dark Empire's clone palpatine? I can very much live with that.

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Lucas must have bet a hell of a lot of money on the Tigers.

5. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    They didn't piss on Marvel continuity when they took it over now be quiet and take your "EU's end is nigh rants elsewhere"

6. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Troll elsewhere.

7. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Yeah, I'm not sure Disney should be overly worried about upsetting the fan base of the EU from a profit perspective. If the sequel trilogy is expected to make the kind of money of the super-blockbusters of today like the Avengers, Dark Knight or even LOTR, I would think that those revenues and profits would outweigh the EU books and comics profits by orders of magnitude. They could ditch the entire EU revenues and probably make huge profits.

The real question is whether they want to try to keep the EU fan base in addition to the sequels in order to squeeze out just that little extra bit of profit.

Plaristes and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  8. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I'm cool with that. I don't care if they disregard a comic book from 2001 or step on the toes of a Wii game or gloss over a novel from 1998 about a bounty hunter and a bartender. Just make a great movie, and we'll go from there. We all knew this would happen someday. Personally, I figured it would be a reboot after Lucas passed away. Just never thought we'd be getting an Episode 7 in 2015.

I just wonder if it's going to affect the 3D re-releases of the films. I believe AOTC and ROTS are both hitting theaters next year.

DarthMane2 likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    My list doesn't include Otters, just headgear ;).

10. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Really?.....we shall see :)

11. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    You guys are assuming it's going to be a full on reboot too which is annoying from both sides

I've seen too little to make a proper doom prediction

12. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    In all seriousness, there is much good and bad that could come from this. If Disney is genuinely smart, top notch talent will be involved and create some incredible new films/stories that may actually live up to what the prequels did not. There is much great potential here.

Furthermore, it is unlikely that continuity for pre ep 6 material will be in danger, only post ep 6 material... which is significant, but unavoidable unless they set the story somewhere in 60 ABY and give some really crazy retcons for why the galaxy has ended up radically different than what we previously assumed it would be.

Or if they're smart about it, we get something in 150ABY and we're good to go. Anything is possible.

But I imagine they won't leave the big 3 out of this entirely. It'd just be a waste.

13. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Characters that were created in the context of an established universe. Using all the tools at your disposal is a very fair notion in of itself, of course, and in a situation like this may make a few good movies, but in the long term (and the press release makes it very clear they're aiming for the long term), it's the absolute death to creativity or growth. One reason The Avengers, and all of its relating films, were so successful was because they bothered to connect them all, to give viewers a reason to keep up. Ultimately, it made The Avengers a better film. Harry Potter, and even Twilight are also very popular as series.

No one is reasonably expecting them to regard every single EU story out there. But if you keep starting from scratch, each time wanting to make a good standalone film that still is supposed to function in a series, you'll soon get a disjointed mess. James Bond is the major exception to this, and for pretty obvious reasons.

Of course, they could simply overwrite everything else and make a self contained series. But I can say this for sure: pissing off a large portion of your fanbase is not the smartest first move you can make after acquiring a company to do from a business standpoint. Like Esg mentioned, Disney could have easily done a DC New 52 type of thing with Marvel once they acquired it, but they didn't.

Of course, if you want to really pretend that we're all crying while simultaneously cutting ourselves and cradling our copies of the pre-special edition Star Wars movies, and you're the only one who sees any light at the end of the tunnel (most of us do), don't let me stop you.

Valin__Kenobi and Esg like this.
  14. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I wonder how many zeros it will take to get Harrison Ford in the project :)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  15. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012

They are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too old to be involved bro

16. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Actually, Marvel is now planning at least a partial reboot of many of their series called Marvel Now....

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    How old is Mark Hamill's son? He could be the new Luke. Or Ben. Or a new character: Mickey Skywalker.

18. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    That is true, but from what I've gathered (I could very well be wrong, as I don't follow current Marvel), it's more of a "new beginning" (which comic companies do all the freaking time) than a reboot, as it directly follows Avengers vs X-men.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    And if he's the main antagonist?

20. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    "I'll only do it if Han Solo gets shot eight thousand times in the chest."

Master_Keralys likes this.
  21. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I imagine that his new series, assuming it is post-ROTJ and within early years following it, who recast the main characters. I am ok with that. New actors would revitalize these characters we all love and get the new trilogy going. I for one think the prospect of a new Han, Luke, and Leia is exciting!

--Adm. Nick

22. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    The biggest issue here is that you put your fan base so high to feel that pissing it off would cuase a major problem. In a crowd the total of this fan base makes up one heckler. As I said before more fans will probably worry more about the films being better than the PT, than any continuity issue.

The Star Trek film was smart in making the whole thing an alternate universe, but that didn't stop a minority of fans for seeing it as a cheap way to reboot the franchise.

23. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I have a feeling that Ford can be bought. I'm just not sure Disney would be willing to pay.

24. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    If any company in the world is willing to cough up that much, it would be Disney.

25. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Reboot/=Relaunch

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.